Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nepal/Tibet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demonicat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:38 am    Post subject: Nepal/Tibet Reply with quote

I'm considering going there this summer- kind of a while in rome...got to Turkey kinda thing, right? My Question is, has anyone ever done this? Anyone know the prices, logistics, or sanity of this? Now to preempt some haters, yes I am aware of the current political "tension" there right now, but it is NOT directed at visitors and hopefully will be over before summer. Also if anyone else is interested, PM me and maybe we can work together to get there.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the saint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kathmandu and pokhara are great. Anywhere off the beaten track might be a bit risky at the moment.
treeplanter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from Nepal last week.
I gotta be honest and tell you it was a real bitch getting around in the country. You'll be fine if you just wanna chill and stay in Kathmandu or Pokhara; getting around IN the cities is okay but getting from one city to another can be challenging.

I wanted to go trekking, so i had a bit more challenging adventures. Smile
I did the Annapurna Circuit and after waiting around for the buses to run for about a week in kathmandu, I took the chance and took one of the tourist buses guarded by some army squad.
When I got to Pokhara, there were no buses going to Phedi or Naya Pul which is where you can start trekking, so I had to take a taxi there, which was fine. But when i finished the trek, the situations had gotten much worse (apparently, some driver got his hands cut off for driving by the Maoist, and another one got his taxi burned while I was in the mountains) and there were no buses OR taxis back to Pokhara. I finally managed to get to pokhara the next day after paying up some astronomical fee for the ride. And again, I had to take the plane back to Kathmandu from Pokhara cuz there were no buses running, not even the tourist buses.
So... unless you're planning on taking planes everywhere, getting around in Nepal can be challenging and testing at the moment. But who knows? perhaps by the time you get there, things will be better.

If i had to do it again.. i would definitey do it again though. The scenery on top of ABC and along the way up there was well worth all the troubles I had to go through! Smile I already miss being in Nepal.. the landscapes, the people...
Despite all the problems the media was portraying about nepal, I never once felt like i was in danger. Once you're in the country, everything seems safe and okay.. it's only the getting around from place to place, that can get a little annoying.

Hope you make a wise decision. Safe trip! Have a blast! Smile
trevorcollins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeplanter wrote:
I just got back from Nepal last week.
I gotta be honest and tell you it was a real *beep* getting around in the country. You'll be fine if you just wanna chill and stay in Kathmandu or Pokhara; getting around IN the cities is okay but getting from one city to another can be challenging.

I wanted to go trekking, so i had a bit more challenging adventures. Smile
I did the Annapurna Circuit and after waiting around for the buses to run for about a week in kathmandu, I took the chance and took one of the tourist buses guarded by some army squad.
When I got to Pokhara, there were no buses going to Phedi or Naya Pul which is where you can start trekking, so I had to take a taxi there, which was fine. But when i finished the trek, the situations had gotten much worse (apparently, some driver got his hands cut off for driving by the Maoist, and another one got his taxi burned while I was in the mountains) and there were no buses OR taxis back to Pokhara. I finally managed to get to pokhara the next day after paying up some astronomical fee for the ride. And again, I had to take the plane back to Kathmandu from Pokhara cuz there were no buses running, not even the tourist buses.
So... unless you're planning on taking planes everywhere, getting around in Nepal can be challenging and testing at the moment. But who knows? perhaps by the time you get there, things will be better.

If i had to do it again.. i would definitey do it again though. The scenery on top of ABC and along the way up there was well worth all the troubles I had to go through! Smile I already miss being in Nepal.. the landscapes, the people...
Despite all the problems the media was portraying about nepal, I never once felt like i was in danger. Once you're in the country, everything seems safe and okay.. it's only the getting around from place to place, that can get a little annoying.

Hope you make a wise decision. Safe trip! Have a blast! Smile

Stuck taking flights instead of buses...?
Wow the Israelis must be borderline rioting.
Here's a pic I took last year coming off the Thorung La Pass on the Annapurna Circuit. Bad quality, just a crappy disposable cam, and taken at something like 5000 meters, so I was pretty beaten up. Shows the quality of the trails though. A danish guy died of altitude sickness the day I took this. Had to have porters carry him down to a safe altitude for the army to come in and pick him up by helicopter, but by that point he was toast.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: