Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still waiting for degree

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed1980

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Still waiting for degree Reply with quote

I am hoping to find work teaching English in Korea.

Ideally I would like to start as soon as I finish my degree, which is in June.

Has anybody got any advise on how I can apply for positions even though i am not in possession of a degree (yet).

The only answers I have got so far have been to wait. just wondering if there was another solution.

cheers
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't mind the costs, you CAN secure copies of your transcripts and degree plan, showing your degree is 'pending.' That will at least get you off to a start.

Definitely spend the time learning/prepping as much as you can - read different boards & books, try meeting some Koreans where you live, find a restaurant to see what you like/don't, find a pair of the korean flat, metal chopsticks, etc.

make the most of the time you have there!!! (And graduate, duh.)
lol

G. Very Happy
ed1980

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers - looks like the waiting game for me !
sid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the attitude of Korean Universities to MA degrees-in-progress? i.e. Would they take me on September, when I will have submitted a final dissertation but won't technically have the MA until a few months later.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sid ~

Do you have a TESOL certif? Do you have teaching exp. as well, either here or elsewhere in Asia???

Junior Colleges would definitely give you the nod with just the 'almost-Masters); most others probably wouldn't trash you out of hand.

Good luck!
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to find some organization in order to find work with a pending degree. For instance, both JET in Japan and TFA in America allow you to apply without a degree, as long as you can demonstrate you will receive it before you begin work.

I don't think anything of that calibre exists in Korea.
chronicpride

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's lots of private work over here if you want. Most teachers that I know work privately full-time on a tourist visa or teach privates on the side of their E2 contract gig. It's much more prevalent and commonplace over here than this board lets on. Many recruiters have contacts with schools that will take on F/T or P/T teachers without a degree, if you ask them. The whole immigration bust thing is very overexaggerated. The real downside is that in most cases with private work, you will have to look after your own accomodation and the key money for it, as well as no benefits.

If you want to have the security and stability that an E2 contract will provide, then you'll have to buy a fake degree. You can buy these in Asian street markets, but you'd be better off with getting one from an online vendor. Contrary to what people may tell you, they don't verify degrees over here. Just make sure that your degree looks and says that the uni is from an english-speaking country. I know a guy that had a fakie from a uni in Brazil. He eventually found a school that would take him on, but he had to deal with some schools that turned their noses up at it.

Hope this helps
ed1980

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the help people - i reckon I will try and get the ball rolloing now somehow.

Anybody got any suggestions for good recruitment agencies etc. ?
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed - ok, i normally don't take offence, but I think CP is WAY off base on this one.

Quote:
There's lots of private work over here if you want. Most teachers that I know work privately full-time on a tourist visa or teach privates on the side of their E2 contract gig. It's much more prevalent and commonplace over here than this board lets on.

Ok, I agree that MOST teachers (E-2) do take on privates, but I don't know many who work on tourist visas. That IS financially lucrative in the flat net sense - and also legally stupid. (no offence, CP)

Quote:
Many recruiters have contacts with schools that will take on F/T or P/T teachers without a degree, if you ask them. The whole immigration bust thing is very overexaggerated.

No, the immigration bust is NOT overexaggerated. People get shipped out EVERY year. And it only takes 1 upset/angry parent to sell your butt out - or one teacher.

Quote:
The real downside is that in most cases with private work, you will have to look after your own accomodation and the key money for it, as well as no benefits.

CP is right on this point, but it is understated. Unless you are yogwan living, key money and benefits are a BIG deal. If you are on a tourist visa, how do you expect to apply for/purchase anything requiring documentation??? Insurance, bank account, residence permit (for housing), etc. Sure, I guess you could just forget insurance, etc., and weasel your way around everything as a sort of inviso-person, but do you really want that stress and headache? (A side thought: if you have a 'travelling policy' from home, that may do it). The days of self-medication from the han-yak are 2 years gone now . . .

Quote:
If you want to have the security and stability that an E2 contract will provide, then you'll have to buy a fake degree. You can buy these in Asian street markets, but you'd be better off with getting one from an online vendor. Contrary to what people may tell you, they don't verify degrees over here. Just make sure that your degree looks and says that the uni is from an english-speaking country. I know a guy that had a fakie from a uni in Brazil. He eventually found a school that would take him on, but he had to deal with some schools that turned their noses up at it.

I think this was the WORST part of it. CP, he is degree pending. He is almost finished with a legit degree.

Above and beyond that, sorry here - and I don't care WHO takes offence at this point! - I have 0 respect and/or sympathy for a person with a faked degree. Besides the people who buy them form street markets, and the onlines, there are recruiters who will provide people with fake degrees, too!!! I just find it despicable.

Hell, why stop there? Why don't you just get a fake Doctorate, and practice medicine over here, if you want to follow that line of thought?

MOST schools do not even require a relevant Uni degree. I mean, come on!!!

And do NOT believe CP about the schools not checking. Transcripts are being required more, along w/ confirmation info. All colleges do, as do more and more hakwons. I WILL grant CP that some schools don't care (be scared of one who doesn't seem to - that will probably be the WORST sort of school!!!), and some immigration offices either have bribe/connections, but if you get caught, well . . . see deportation above.

Good luck, congrats on your degree, & best of luck!

G.

As an end note, I actually do agree with CP on other posts. Not trying to start any kind of flame war. But I feel pretty strongly about this one . . .
chronicpride

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree and understand with the angle that you're approaching this subject and I appreciate your candor, however, I think that our viewpoints are merely subjective. We both have had and are continuing to have two different experiences over here. I do see and know of, daily, the 'underbelly' of the english teaching industry. From regularly socializing with recruiters, friends that came over with fake degrees and are operating on a tourist visa and who are not living a 'cloak-and-dagger' lifestyle. I have a friend that did get a uni job, last fall, with a fakie and transcripts (no verification follow-up was done) and I know through him, one other teacher that got on at another uni, several months earlier, also with a fake degree/transcript. I also have two Korean friends, who are directors, which is where I've learned a fair bit of the insight that I was able to pass on, in my last post.

But as I said, everyone accumulates their own version of how things shake down over here and I only wanted to offer up my solutions to his situation, based on the perspective that I'm seeing the industry from.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP, dae-dan-hi kam-sa-ham-ni-da! I appreciate you for keeping it civil. Smile

I also know several prople - currently - who are here on fake degrees provided by online sources or RECRUITERS (that, in my honest opinion, is a barrel full of worm-ridden apples with a few good ones). Mad

And I have known/met a few that happen to benefit from long tourist visas - the kinds that can come in & stay for 3 months at a time. Generally, USA 'tourists' are given a 1 month stamp, so it doesn't do them much good.

I still think it is a bad idea/trade-off. Given the choice, I'd rather see someone do some research & suss things out before coming over, and make a good run of it. Some people - ready and even with a good employer - still won't 'like' it, and choose not to stay.

I know a lot more teachers who are doing modified versions of what I am doing - work a contract year, and then take 2-3 months off for a RTW rip, circling through home in the process. Very Happy

There is also the 'pre-IMF' plan, where people work & save for a year, and then take a year off to laze and travel. Niceeee! Very Happy

Ed, you asked a question about recruiters. The 'bad' ones get a lot of attention on these boards. Generally, I do not like/recommend recruiters - as others have said, there are enough good jobs, if you research.

However! That being said, last time I posted my stuff here, I was contacted by a husband & wife couple here in Korea - He's Canadian (I think) & she's Korean. They are a young couple (the 'been there, dealt with that' types), and seemed sincere. I'll try to dig up their names, if you are interested.

Regards, all!

G.
mslaoshi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:22 am    Post subject: I have my degree, but I don't have the diploma. Reply with quote

I just graduated last month. My new job is asking for my diploma which I won't get until a month after I am supposed to arrive in Korea.

I read your strand about "pending degree" but what about "pending diploma?"

Thanks,

mslaoshi
chronicpride

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it a 4 year?
yayforme

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! time to revive this topic please!

My university screwed up on my diploma, so I won't be getting it for a while longer. But they can provide proof of graduation or letter of forthcoming degree, etc. All the recruiters so far have been cool about it, but I just spoke with one who says the immigration people need the actual degree for my visa and won't accept a letter of graduation. So have the rules become stricter? Do I need to wait for my stupid university to give me my diploma? Or can I still take a job NOW?
Stann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yayforme wrote:
Hello! time to revive this topic please!

My university screwed up on my diploma, so I won't be getting it for a while longer. But they can provide proof of graduation or letter of forthcoming degree, etc. All the recruiters so far have been cool about it, but I just spoke with one who says the immigration people need the actual degree for my visa and won't accept a letter of graduation. So have the rules become stricter? Do I need to wait for my stupid university to give me my diploma? Or can I still take a job NOW?

It is insufficient to have just the proof.

You MUST have the ACTUAL degree to be granted the working visa.

Trust me - I was in a similar plight and I was trying months in advance to find a way around it. At the time, I was expecting to graduate in December but I was told to expect my degree in July. I started inquiring about various different possibilities and in the end I appealed to my school and received my degree around the end of April and hopped over here in May.

Long story short - get that piece of paper or nothing else will matter.

Best of luck.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: