Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Car accident - what to do?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Car accident - what to do? Reply with quote

I was driving my motorcycle, minding my own business, when I was broad-sided by a car. The car ran thru a red light ... that had been red for at least 3 or 4 seconds ... I was spun aroud 180 or 540. I called my Korean supervisor and she came down to the accident sight to sort things out.

The driver admitted to being at fault in the accident on the phone to his insurance agent. No police report was filed. Although, I did not break anything I am really brused and have some bad road rash ... I went to the hospital and was xrayed. The motorcycle is in the shop and I was told that the insurance will pay for the motorcycle repairs, 10,000 won a day for taxis, my day or two that I am out of work, and the medical bills.

Is this the way things work? No police report? Etc...
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: report Reply with quote

Did you get a license plate #? ...name, etc?

If you did have your director call them up and get some cash..or call the police
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no; DO NOT sign anything from the insurance company. DON'T! It's all in korea and if you sign it, you're giving up your right for future money. Tell the agent you want your attorney to look it over (if you don't have one, get a friend you can trust) and tell the insurance guy that you'll get back to him.
Because you don't read korea, are a foreigner, the insurance agent is hoping to pull the wool over your eyes and get out of paying you more money which means more money in his pocket.
How the game works in korea is something like this; traffic accidents are settled between the drivers first. If you both reach an agreement. It's over. If not, then it becomes a criminal matter. If I were you, I'd involve the cops. The idiot who ran the red light deserves whatever the cops do to him. You could have been killed. By you NOT reporting it, this idiot gets away scott free. And you can bet, he'll run over someone in the future and kill them.
You will receive money for your pain and suffering, usually 100,000 WON a day. Taxi fare? Tell them you want 20.000 Won. If you go to the hospital and involve the doctors, you'll get more money based on what the doctors say. It's a game and most all koreans play it well. But why let the driver off the hook to hurt someone else?
I was rearend twice in korea. I got educated after the first accident real quick like. The first time the insurance was real nice, sign this and that and he's waving a fist full of cash in my face. I now know the mistake; I would have gotten over $100.000 U.S. had I held out. The second time I was rearended, the insurance agent wanted me to sign this and that, etc. but I told him, I need to run this by the lawyer first. He did not want that because then the lawyer also get money from the insurance company! He wanted me to settle quick. Get advice.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John -

hell is right on on this one. You can probably get a lawyer or referral either through efl-law.com, or the Hellopages.

Howerever, we are all under the presumption that the bike is yours - you bought it, registered it, insured it, were wearing a helmet, and have a license with an IDP or a Korean license for the bike size you drive.

Regards, & good luck

Glen

PS ~ if you want me to, I can give you names/contact info of lawyers from the Hellopages, but not an actual recc. Just PM me
john

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:19 pm    Post subject: john Reply with quote

I looked at the efl-law.com and they are mainly for Seoul. Maybe I can get a referal for a Daejon Lawyer.?. I am not familure with the hello pages.

Howerever, we are all under the presumption that the bike is yours - you bought it, registered it, insured it, were wearing a helmet, and have a license with an IDP or a Korean license for the bike size you drive.

Yes, I was legal ... the insurance company has alraedy checked my documents.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what's wrong with the world now and why lawyers will be the death of us all. Everybody and their brother wants to see just how much money they can suck from the system and screw over every other person who pays for insurance.

The insurance company is going to fix the bike, pay for the hospital bills, lost work, and pay for cab fare. It sounds to me like they're doing their part to make up those losses. What in the hell entitles you to more?

At least with the communists lawyers aren't so much of a damned problem.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as often happens, Hank, I agree with you. However, I think it is also fair to consider that he may have complications/health problems later on - he was probably pumped full of adrenaline at the time.

Ever wrenched your back working out a little, and woke up in agony the next morning? Same concept.

I don't think John is looking for the Korean Lotto; he just wants to make sure he's covered.

for anyone else who's curious, I gave him a law office referral for Daegu from the Hellopages.

Regards,

Glen
Alex Buffa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:05 am    Post subject: I had an accident like yours a few months ago. Reply with quote

First off, you should involve the police right away. That means you need to go to your local station NOW and file a report with the guys name, and ID# and write down a statement with a friend supporting your claim.

You then need to IMMEDIATELY goto the nearest hospital for a checkup, examination of any injuries that you may have sustained. That means an MRI....NOT a simple X-ray. I had 4 bone contusions in my shoulder that were not picked up on x-ray, and the insurance company did not like that either.

If the guy has basic insurance, he will have to pay your bike damages, taxi's and other fees out of pocket. His insurance will cover your hospital bills. If you are not happy with the amount being offered, you can demand more or allow a criminal proceeding. If you do make an agreement, then you may relinquish your right to further action. Write a condition in your agreement that you may write that this is not absolving him of any unforseen future liabilities.

DO NOT WAIT...and you have to act now. The more time that passes, the more a person can claim that you sustained an injury AFTER the accident and are using this as an excuse for money. ALWAYS INVOLVE THE POLICE. They are the ones who will enforce agreements.

If you are still sitting at your desk reading this after 10 minutes, you are wasting time. Goto the police station in the middle of the night and file your report. Bring a friend...

If you don't, you will be SOL in the future.

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: