Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to find the cheapest flight from Toronto to Daegu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metsuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Where to find the cheapest flight from Toronto to Daegu? Reply with quote

Hey all,

Start my job in Daegu on April 4th, and I need to purchase my ticket now. Ticket will be refunded to me upon my arrival... usual story. Anyways... where do/have the Canadians on the board gone to purchase and get deals on their air fare from Toronto to Daegu?

I really appreciate the help. Link to a website would be a super help as well.

Thanks,

T

Last edited by Metsuke on Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will not be a direct flight from Toronto to Daegu.

You will have to fly Toronto to Incheon. I would then bus it to Daegu from Incheon.

I took Korean Air cause my employer paid for it, and it was non-stop. They are one of the most expensive though.

However, if you are looking for cheap and are paying yourself...I hear Northwest has good deals. Maybe United?
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koreabound2004 wrote:
You will have to fly Toronto to Incheon. I would then bus it to Daegu from Incheon.

Actually, I had an affordable ticket from Vancouver to Busan (via a layover in Osaka, which I wanted.) Busan is pretty close to Daegu.

That said, it's much quicker overall to send a few extra hours on bus from Incheon to Daegu. Don't worry: the buses are superior in every way to greyhound: frequent, cheap, comfortable.

And although you may be aprehensive, it's easy to take buses with zero ability to speak Korean. Don't sweat it. Just take the airport shuttle (costs under 20,000 won) from Incheon airport to the bus terminal in Seoul. Then an express bus to Daegu from there.
No L

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of travel agencies in Toronto specializing in travel to Korea. Korea Travel Service (or something close) is on Bloor St. in Koreatown.

Flying to Daegu is an option. There are flights from both Incheon and Gimpo airports. There is a bus to Daegu from Incheon airport too.

Northwest and Continental usually have the best deals, but they tend to involve two connections from TO (Chicago and Tokyo or Osaka). Korean Air and Air Canada both have direct flights, although not everyday. More expensive, but if your boss is paying you back ...
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No L wrote:
There is a bus to Daegu from Incheon airport ...

I'm not surprised. That'd be your best option, really.
Metsuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... good advice so far. Smile

I'm cool taking the bus from Incheon to Deagu... Just trying to figure out the easiest way. Regardless... I have not asked my school what they want yet... they had said they would arrange my pickup and all that good stuff. Right now I just want to find the best deal on the flight.

I'll dig a little more... see what I come up with.

Thanks again...
the eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew you'd be called in sooner!

you live near the US border, right?
i use buffalo airport, flying united or continental or northwest for the cheapest seats.

united, albeit like riding a yellow bus, is usually the cheapest out of toronto.
indirect flights are cheaper than direct flights. sometimes i even put up with 2 tconnections or stopovers.

getting from incheon to daegu....

bus: departs from outside the terminal. 4 hours and a fw minuites. 23,000won (if memory serves) last bus departs 10:25pm.

plane: must take a 20 minute shuttlebus to gimpo airport in seoul, and take a commuter plane to daegu. 50 minutes, 56,000 won....but you can have this worked into your intinerary in advance.
there are flights from incheon to daegu, but only a few.

but! but! but!
i'm sure the school we are talking about will pay in advance for your ticket! tell them you don't have the money on hand... they will do it for you, and probably pay for a direct flight to boot.
ask them. i did.
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, once you land...and get your bags, walk past customs...you will see a tourist desk....just tell her you want a bus to Daegu, and she will be able to point you to the appropriate exit.

Once you walk out that exit, you will see a bus ticket seller booth or two, and you can buy a ticket. I would estimate that it will be about 30,000-40,000 won. Buses from the airport are more expensive..but usually comfy. Buses should run every 30mins to an hour until late evening.

If you have to wait a while for the bus, there is a McDonalds to hang out at, and bookstores, TV's to occupy you.
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the people who say go through Pusan. I live in Daegu, and I fly from Detroit to Pusan with a short stop in Tokyo (on Northwest, a crap airline, but cheap -- I liked United better, but I don't think they go to Pusan).
I think the most convenient way also depends on how much luggage you have.
From Pusan, it's a short train trip to Daegu.
You can PM me if you want for more info/details.

Also, once when I was taking a lot of stuff back to the US, I negotiated a taxi from Daegu to Pusan Airport for 70,000 won. Much more convenient if you are hauling a lot of stuff, but you may need the help of a Korean.
chaq

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at flights from Toronto to Daegu as well. Check out Flight Centre: http://www.flightcentre.ca/

No direct flights as others mentioned, kinda sucks with a transfer between airports in Seoul.
Metsuke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been looking at flights from Toronto to Daegu as well. Check out Flight Centre: http://www.flightcentre.ca/

No direct flights as others mentioned, kinda sucks with a transfer between airports in Seoul.

Hey Chaq,

I just booked my ticket through a travel agent in town... and she knocked off a couple hundread bucks off of the Air Canada fare. I'm doing the Toronto to Vancouver, Vancouver to Incheon trip. Than a shuttle bus down to Gimpo and then a commuter flight to Daege.

PM me if you want some more details.
the eye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paying the higher fares for air crapada flights is worth it if you're flying to korea.
you get to watch the flight atendants get all worked up on the koreans 'gimme gimme" behavior.
i swear, the attendants would beat them with sticks if they had some, but you can't take sticks on airplanes anymore.
Metsuke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't bring anything on airplanes anymore! I don't even want to have to get into the story when my sister thought it would be funny to put a bottle of home made wine and a fake mini plastic shotgun in her suit case for Christmas when we flew to Thunder Bay one year.

Fun times.... Smile
chronicpride

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaq wrote:

As others have mentioned, not all onward flights to Daegu have to go through Gimpo. Incheon has regular flights that go onward to Daegu and Busan, in which they will transfer your bags and you just have to move to the departures level and board the other plane.

You can ask your travel agent about the booking availability for these flights.

I also recommend Flightcentre, but also check out Koreana Travel in Calgary at (403) 290-0007. They have some fare exclusivity with Asiana Airlines, and a lot of the Korean community in Alberta uses them, and they can fly you out of any hub in NA. One of my best friends works at a Flightcentre in Calgary, and sometimes he still can't beat a Koreana fare even after he waives his commission from his quote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: