Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the smallest city you've taught in?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawner88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: What is the smallest city you've taught in? Reply with quote

Me:

Geoje-do, an island 1 hour south of Busan, population a few hundred thousand. Foreign population of teachers, about 6-10.

http://korealife.blogspot.com
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was stuck out in a small village of about 5000 when I was with EPIK. My dorm room was the size of a closet and they told me it was great living!!!
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way out in Kyangbyeong (a whistle stop on the trainline near Nonsan) in '97. Only about 40,000 people - give or take. My buddy and I were the freakshow. We stopped traffic because we were white. A little 5 year old girl in the hogwan automatically assumed that all Canadians were left-handed, because my partner in crime and I were both southpaws- go figure!

Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Hee Haw salutes: Reply with quote

Namji-ri, Namji-eup population 1,000 Koreans, 1 foreigner---SALUTE!

1996--my first job down in Kyeongsang namdo....they told me 10,000 people (I think it was a decimal point problem) , but the town only had one high rise apartment, and three main roads that intersected in the "downtown" area. Perhaps they were counting all of the people in the countryside and on the highway during Chuseok???
captain kirk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a village of three thousand in the south, by the yellow sea, about an hour and a half north of kwangju. there was one other school in the village,and so one other foreign teacher. the nearest city was half an hour away called youngwang, pop. 20,000. it was really pleasant. people/posters often wonder why korea is named 'land of the morning calm' and/or comment ironically on this. i lived on top of the school in a pretty nice single accomodation and walked out my door onto the open roof and a morning view of the little valley beside the mountain and it was 'the land of the morning calm'. rooster crowing, the stillness of the little valley. so still. with the timeless farming village ways/tradition, peacefully still.
howie2424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my towns pretty puny, less than 40,000 I'd guess, snuggled right up against the North Korean border. I'm told there are 4 other foreigners here but I've only ever seen one; big fat guy, and he spent our only meeting talking endlessly about how he can't wait to get back to Taiwan and murder the guy he was working for there. I'm convinced he's actually Hank Scorpio.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baba, Provencia Los Rios, Ecuador. pop. 2000, give or take a few dozen. But of course you probably meant What the smallest city you've taught in [in Korea].
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Baba, Provencia Los Rios, Ecuador. pop. 2000, give or take a few dozen. But of course you probably meant What the smallest city you've taught in [in Korea].

How'd you like Ecuador? I was in Quito for a month.. and visited a few other places.. Cuenca, Atacames, etc..

Smallest town for me is JinJu, Korea.. for a summercamp..
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dangjin (It was Tangjin then). one main street through town, 2 other foreigners at another hagwon
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yodanole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chinju or Masan. Not sure which is smaller.
SweetBear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How the heck do you guys cope with the isolation? I live in a town of 250,000, about 20 weygook, not far from Seoul and the lonleiness is too much sometimes !
SweetBear

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shawner, LOVE your website !
Sb
panthermodern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeon Mue Dea , South Korea.
Population; unknow (3 double lane streets, my guess 2 000)
Western Teachers (including self on arrival) : 1
Western Teacher upon departure (including self on depature) : 2
Nearest town: Nonsan 20 km to the north.
Village main source of income: Support of Korean Military Base
Students: illegally shopped out to local elementary, middle and high schools plus outlying towns as far in as Nosan proper.

Harpeau can verrify the facts.

I win.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
inexhile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SweetBear wrote:
How the heck do you guys cope with the isolation? I live in a town of 250,000, about 20 weygook, not far from Seoul and the lonleiness is too much sometimes !

Soju.......Duh
harryh

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: What is the smallest city you've taught in? Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:

Me:

Geoje-do, an island 1 hour south of Busan, population a few hundred thousand. Foreign population of teachers, about 6-10.

http://korealife.blogspot.com

I'm currently working in Jangpyung, Geoje-do. Not much happening here. Just soju drinking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: