Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1,000,000 questions - wheat free items
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skookum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: 1,000,000 questions - wheat free items Reply with quote

Hi,
I am allergic to wheat and wonder if one can get spelt flour anywhere in Korea (or Kamut would do). How about spelt or kamut bread? Or wheat-free rye bread?

Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I knew, as I'm gluten-intolerant (celiac) myself.

Are you gluten intolerant? I was under the impression that spelt is also a kind of wheat and therefore off limits.

I have yet to find any gluten-free bread or other baked goods in Korea, my family occasionally sends me EnRG rice bread from home, it can survive the trip surface mail. I've heard that there is a Western-style health food store in Apgujeong that has gluten-free products, but I'm not sure where to find it.

However, there are upshots to being gluten intolerant in Korea as aside from the noodles most of the Korean diet is just fine for us, and there are some foods you probably wouldn't have had back home that are available here, chap-ssal doughnuts and the different kinds of rice cakes, for example.

At any rate, I doubt there is anyone on this board, or perhaps even this world, who knows more about being gluten intolerant in Korea than I do. Feel free to PM me if I can help.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My godmother is a celiac and she managed when she came over to teach for a year. I think she made her own bread and stuff with rice flour. You can get rice flour from the supermarket.....
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, there are two different kinds of rice flour, regular rice flour/��Ұ��� and sticky rice flour/���Ұ���. Unfortunately sticky rice flour is by far more common, but it's much harder to work with. Buckwheat flour �޹а��� is pretty readily available too, it's a little expensive, but makes great pancakes. Make sure you get the pure buckwheat flour, as a lot of the time it's mixed with wheat flour.
laura

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if it doesn't take long enough in a Korean supermarket, I too have the extra joy of being a Celiac. It's mainly difficult to have this intolerance in Korea because I can't read the ingredients in products, but I think for the most part, Korean food is safer. So much of it is organic, and lacks the preservatives and wheat additives. Plus rice is such a staple of the Korean diet you can always find something on the menu. But there are definately some misleading rice and potatoe products out there so be careful and don't assume anything. I finally gathered all the food from my meager supply, brought it to hagwon and had my Korean co-worker check the ingredients for wheat. I sent most of it home with her. As for rice flour you can find it at most supermarkets, but if you're not much of a baker (or don't have an oven) you're screwed for bread. I hadn't thought of having my parents mail it to me. It'd probably cost a fortune because it weighs about as much as a brick, but it may be worth it.

There's a great website, www.celiac.com that answers heaps of questions and gives lists of ingredients for gluten/wheat intolerance awareness. It might not help you much here in finding food you can stomach, but it's good to let you know what to avoid.
skookum

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Yes to gluten, no to wheat Reply with quote

Now me, I have a wheat allergy but not a gluten allergy. I can eat oats, barley, spelt even though those grains have gluten. But wheat is another story. Korea has it's own problems in eating wheat-free -- the rice-based diet is a positive, but the kochujang found in most everything usually contains wheat. There is a kind made using glutenous (or sweet, or sticky) rice that doesn't have wheat so I can cook with that. And the snacky type foods usually are wheaten, ramyun, odeng (found in ddeokbokki), the fried tempura-like stuff....

I look at the writing on jars and such, usually can't tell what ingredients are in them. I can read Hangul but don't know most of the words. I can however tell "mil karu" and often don't find it written there even where an item seemingly must contain it. Does anyone know whether Korea requires ingredients to be listed, and if so where I can locate them on the can or jar.

Skook in Hankook
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Yes to gluten, no to wheat Reply with quote

skookum wrote:
I look at the writing on jars and such, usually can't tell what ingredients are in them. I can read Hangul but don't know most of the words. I can however tell "mil karu" and often don't find it written there even where an item seemingly must contain it. Does anyone know whether Korea requires ingredients to be listed, and if so where I can locate them on the can or jar.

I think you're right that Korean products don't seem to list everything that's in a product, especially things like artificial flavoring and preservatives. As for things that have wheat, you may have already known this, but the word �Ҹƺ�/so-maek-boon also means wheat flour, and it seems to be the more commonly used word in ingredients listings.

What brand of gochujang is made with sticky rice instead of wheat flour? I didn't know about that.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to poke my head in here when I saw the topic.
I was PO'd. I thought it was my fiance(e) posting....grrrrr... Smile

She thinks I have a wheat allergy and drives me absolutely nuts about it since white gooey bread is my favourite food on earth. Smile

Just out of curiousity though since there seem to be so many of you claiming this affliction could you please share some of the symptoms you experience?

The two I notice...the first and the one she finds most alarming. By airway sometimes closes off and I am left at about 20% airway which can last for up to 15 minutes. Usually occurs when eating starchy foods, primarily bread.

And the second one, and the one I find most alarming. When I drink a beer, before I get to the bottom of the first one my nose is all stuffy and I think I have a cold. I probably wouldn't have noticed this if she hadn't made such a big deal over the first one... Smile

Cheers.
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celiac sprue does not lead to the closing of the airway. The intestine doesn't properly absorb a protein called gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, and oats. Typical symptoms include nausea and diarrhea.

An undiagnosed celiac on a normal diet for a long period of time can expect weight loss, depression and irritability, a weak immune system, malnutrition in spite of a healthy diet, skin and gum problems, fatigue, and anemia. In short, you'd be a miserable wreck if you have what I have and weren't eating a gluten free diet.

[/quote]
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: flour Reply with quote

Where can you get buckwheat flour? I do not lneed it, but I LOVE it.
thanks
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckwheat flour mixed with wheat flour is very common. The Korean name for it is �޹а��� - meh-mil-ga-roo. Koreans use it to make �� - which is a whitish jelly-like side dish. Pure buckwheat flour is nowhere near as common, but they do sell it at Shinchon Grand Mart in a special display area for ��. The pure stuff ain't cheap, though. W7000 for a 1kilo bag.

BTW, I can't stand ��, but buckwheat flour makes rockin' pancakes.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:42 am    Post subject: flour Reply with quote

Yes, Buckwheat pancakes, yummy.

I will have to look for that flour, and if I can find the kind that is mixed, that is fine too.

Thanks so mcuh for the name in Korean.
skookum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Shinchon Grand Market? I don't get to the big smoke very often but would like to be prepared for my next trip there.....
skookum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: The Horror of Flour Reply with quote

Went to the supa the other day and read labels. Looked for glutinous rice flour -- both varieties sold there contained wheat flour. In fact one had more wheat than rice, plus large amounts of corn starch. Almost all of the flours had some level of wheat, right on down to some kind of (bean? perhaps...) that had 1/2 of 1% wheat. Most of them had much more though. Where can we get unadulterated flours?

I got through most of a bottle of maekkoli before noticing that it was 40% wheat. Later checked the supa and found I'd lucked out, relatively - the other varieties were all more laced with so-maek-pun.

At least the wheat only makes me unhappy, sick, and insane. How do those whose guts get perforated thru wheat consumption survive here?

It's a good thing I do enjoy cooking - have been trying the Spring varieties of peoseot that are out now - just got strange grey toadstools in the shijang this morning and ate a few. Fern shoots. Kumquats. Long tasty strawberries. Some chap ssar ddeok stuffed with beans and flavoured with coconut and peppermint (an interesting combo) Canned fish butt. (Well, it's only the back end of the kkongji (Mackerel pike) that they put in the cans.... what do they do with the front part.....?)
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The Horror of Flour Reply with quote

skookum wrote:
Went to the supa the other day and read labels. Looked for glutinous rice flour -- both varieties sold there contained wheat flour. In fact one had more wheat than rice, plus large amounts of corn starch. Almost all of the flours had some level of wheat, right on down to some kind of (bean? perhaps...) that had 1/2 of 1% wheat. Most of them had much more though. Where can we get unadulterated flours?

The local supa probably isn't the best place to look. Check the baking section of larger department stores, Wal-Mart is where I've been getting my buckwheat and plain rice flour. Sweet potato/������ flour is also pretty good.

Are skookum, are you living in the sticks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: