Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding a job for a man over 60

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abrogard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Finding a job for a man over 60 Reply with quote

Hi...

I worked teaching in Korea in 2000 and I'd like to go back. To my great surprise it is proving difficult, very difficult. It seems very few want to employ people of my age.

But there are some, I know and I am hoping I may find some help in this forum.

If anyone can help or direct me towards where I might find some help I will be very grateful.

regards,

abrogard
Seth Gecko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck, abrogard. I think you're going to have a tough time.

Maybe if you really stick to it, though.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Good Luck,Abrogard Reply with quote

As Gecko said,it is not going to be easy.They like their teachers young(blonde if possible,too)...and looking like Barbie or Ken if possible.I have had them tell me(I am working here now)"You are a good teacher,but we wish you were younger!").Since you were in Korea before,I am surprised you are not aware of the ageism.To be perfectly objective,other places in the world(including the US) also practice ageism occasionally,even though it is illegal and they cook up some other excuse not to hire you.

However,it is possible for you to find something.Avoid the large chains.Look around for small private schools in the smaller cities and towns.Of course,before you sign anything,try to make sure they are at least quasi-legit.i.e.that they will actually pay you.

You might not like this one...but if your hair is white or gray...dye it.I know that sounds superficial(it IS superficial),but then the TESOL business is largely superficail,especially here.If they see dark hair...they will automatically think you are "younger".

Hang in there .It is possible.Best of luck. Smile
abrogard

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for your interest. I guess the reason I was 'not aware' is that in 2000 there were two of us foreigners working in our hagwon and we were both of the same age and we were both afforded some special respect because of it.

No one ever mentioned any other attitude.

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I will dye my hair ( what's left of it) my idea is to work where I am legitimately welcome not where I must be a supplicant and a pretender.

I do note the comment about caution. My last school was an excellent school but I've read enough on Dave's esl to know that Korea is apparently riddled with shonky schools. That is another reason why I am hoping to find a contact via this forum - a lead to some place that is known and vouched for.

It will be sad if I can't back to Korea, but it won't be the end of the world. I'm getting pretty fatalistic... I'll just kinda assume it's written in the stars or something that I should go elsewhere - Taiwan maybe...

regards,

abrogard.
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have some friends in the 40+ range dealing with the same issues, so I can sympathize quite a bit.

First, visiting professorships are not uncommon over here; a uni is probably more likely to take you on in this regard. So are hakwons teaching adults. In fact, a business with a certain # or % of those over a certain age actually gets a tax break from the government.

If your resume/creds/refs are all pretty sharp, you might consider going with one of the professional placement services here in Seoul, unless you are actually set on teaching little kids. (These services are more geared towards business positions)

I wish you the best of luck!

Regards,

Glen
TJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Finding a Job for a Man Over 60 Reply with quote

Don't give up. There is hope for us geriatrics. I was 58 when I first came to Korea and worked in a Hagwan.

I am now 61 and teaching at a government elementary school. I have been asked to sign on for another year but am missing my family and will be going home in August.

If you can't find a job at a hagwan think about applying to EPIK. Don't believe all the bad comments you read about EPIK. My experience has been that EPIK is usually OK. Sure there are some problems but hagwans are often a lot worse.

Good luck.
abrogard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is EPIK?

And how about your school? Should I get in touch with them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: