Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OSAKAKAKAKAKA
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saharzie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: OSAKAKAKAKAKA Reply with quote

Heading to Osaka for the visa run in 2 weeks..will be there over the weekend...will be on my own and basically want to know where are any good clubs/bars where I might be able to meet some Japanese women who would be up for meeting westerners...
Also is there a big difference between Korean and Japanese women?
Never been to Japan before so any advice appreciated

cheers

s
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following is a couple of years old so the prices are probably off. Since you're planning on staying the weekend you can ignore the time-sensative advice but the directions will still be useful.
Lorne Oliver's One Day visa Run to Osaka:
Quote:
1.Always double-check your consolate arrangements since Japan has MANY holidays and on holidays the Embassy is closed. The Embassy number in Osaka is 81-6-213-14-1 and the hours are Mon - Fr 9 AM - 12 PM and 1:30 PM - 5 PM (but there are often breaks in the afternoon). The consolate is NOT OPEN on weekends.

2.Do not bring Korean won to Japan - no one will accept it and its VERY HARD to exchange anywhere (besides that it slows you down looking for a place). Don't forget to keep 10,000 won with you for the airport tax out of Korea.

3.Get to the airport on time and get everything taken care of long before your flight. The lines for seats at the airport for flights to Japan are long and aggravating. You must be on the first flight out of Korea (leaves at about 10 AM) if you are going to make it in one day.

4.Once in Japan� pass through Customs and Immigration. If you are planning a one day trip then get a voucher to exempt you from the airport tax on the way out of Japan. For a one day visit you DO NOT pay the airport tax.

5.As you exit the customs area you'll see an information booth directly ahead of you. If you are not sure, you can ask them for help, but the instructions here are clear. Check if you are not sure. Don't dawdle though - this calls for quick walking and quicker thinking.

6.Off to the left of the Information Counter is an escalator going up. Take it and turn right at the top. You'll find yourself at a train ticket station. Buy a ticket for the Namba station for about 1,400 yen (express). (*updated 11/24/2000 - Prices vary so just make sure you have a goodly amount of cash on hand - its better to have too much than not enough.) The ride takes about 30 minutes.

7.At Namba station, find the Japanese subway line by going down about three levels and in the opposite corner of this huge station (The line you want is maroon in colour - be careful there are lots of them there) and head to Shin Saibashi station. Keep looking for the line, it didn't take too long to find. Ask for directions if you are lost.

8.At Shin Saibashi get out at exit #7 and turn right. The Embassy is about 200 metres down the street (on your right hand side).

9.Go downstairs to booth #9 or #10 and get the E-2 application and fill it out. To ensure that this happens properly BE THERE BY 1:00 PM. (The doors may still be closed for lunch (apparently as long as 11:30 - 1:30) but that gives you time to eat somewhere - but be quick). Ask the person to process you as quickly as possible (in a nice polite tone of course - if you look angry then they slow down just to piss you off - because they can). The E2 teaching visa costs 5,500 yen (*updated 11/24/2000 - Once again, prices vary so be warned).

10.Bring a recent photo with you to Japan. There is a booth there but its very expensive and slow you down. And you never know if it will be broken or something unpredictable. The whole process should take anywhere from a half-hour to two hours. Check with the lovely girl at the counter and then you are free to wander around until its time to pick up your visa.

11.Once you have your Visa in hand you are free to do as you please. Simply reverse the directions back to the airport and you are on your way!

Good Luck! I have done this exact run myself several times so I know it can be done.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: I only have two further things to add Reply with quote

#1 Remember how you got to the consulate from the train station so you don't run around the rabbit warren that is namba station to find your line

#2 while it is way cheaper to take the suburban train that you took on your way from the station, you may want to pay for the express to get you their on time. On my visa run I almost missed my flight due to taking the 'cheap train' which turned out to take 2 hours from namba station.

CLG
rapier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judging by all reports japanese women adore westerners- to a far greater extent than koreans. They'll be all over you. My cousin taught in Japan and said he just could'nt avoid having a girlfriend it was like trying to hold back the tide. Go for it mate. In one day? - at least a high chance of an intimate conversation. Let us know how it goes- I'm heading there at about the same time, not sure what date yet.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japanese women.. they do like foreigners.. but.. its expensive to try to 'pick one up'... first a hostel room alone is going to cost you $30.. and if you even think of bringing someone home.. it'll be a $100 hotel room i guess.. plus if u want to meet someone.. u have to spend who knows how much trying to get into discos and drinking beers to compete with a barrage of other foreigners who half seem to already know japanese.. so anyhow.. in short.. the 'illusion' of hitting japan shores and having a sex-scapade isn't all that reality-based..

from my 3 different japan runs.. i find myself in some cheap hostel with tons of teachers there cooking ramyen.. i look at restaurent menus endlessly until i ultimately find a 7-11 to get affordable food.. then i wander around back alleys drinking beer out of vending machines.. and wonder how and where i'm even going to think about meeting one of these hotties.. in the end.. well.. empty-handed and empty pockets..

one other thing.. japanese girls have 100-foot walls around them.. you just can't seem to approach them without their facing turning red and them giggling endlessly..

all that being said.. japan is very aesthetically-pleasing.. its kind of a disneyland all over.. an isolating disneyland..

however if u have some friends there.. someone to stay with and someone to drink with and they can take you out to some clubs or something.. you'd be better off..

honestly.. get hooked up to some personal ads or chat rooms or something.. try to meet a few girls.. and tell them u wanna visit them.. that would be your best bet..

difference between japanese and korean women.. korean women are taller, thicker hair, more direct, honest, speak english slightly better, have more sex appeal..

japanese girls aren't sexy.. they can be termed 'cute' if anything.. noticeably alot shorter.. and hide their emotions and thoughts.. hard to know what they are thinking.. and.. well, many have crooked teeth which really stands out compared to koreans.. but.. anyhow, like anywhere there are some really cute ones out there as well.. oh, and japanese are always really polite..
sid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:

.. i look at restaurent menus endlessly until i ultimately find a 7-11 to get affordable food.. then i wander around back alleys drinking beer out of vending machines.. and wonder how and where i'm even going to think about meeting one of these hotties.. in the end.. well.. empty-handed and empty pockets..

At least you only have to do it once on a visa run! This paragraph (or something similar) can be found about 25 times in 'My 2002 World Cup Diary'. (Subtitled 'I wish we were watching Korea').
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first visa run.

Couple questions:

Is this the US Embassy referred to that's near Shin Saibashi??? Or can one go to any embassy?

What are the current costs for the E-2 issuance and how much yen should one bring these days??

TIA!!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sickboy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you will need to go to the Korean embassy for the Visa run yeah?

Thats in Shinsaibashi, near Namba station.

Bring lots of fucking Yen shits will kill ya..

Check out my Osaka thread in the OT forum... Im rollin with a lot of yen this weekend baby!

-sick
matthews_world

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanx for clarifying Sickboy.

I just plan on doing the thing in a day. Would be nice to stay a couple nights.

But anyway, what are the costs to process the visa these days?

Anyone know how much the train ride is round trip?

Are these the things we need to bring?:

Contract
Passport photo
Yen

Anything else?

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
sickboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visa is either 5 or 6,000 yen, so multiply that by ten for the won amount. Round trip on the express train to Namba is about 1200 yen, so round trip plus visa expenses should be 80 - 90,000 won. Step yeah. At least the Korean embassy is easy to find!
lyn204

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Anybody going to Osaka on Oct. 4? Reply with quote

I'll be going to Osaka on Tuesday,,just wondering if anyone else will be going the same day? I'll be there til Wednesday nite. If you want to meet up or something pm me please!
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:07 am    Post subject: 2006 UPDATE Reply with quote

Just came back from a visa run last week. Note the changes for 2006:

1. No more one day visas there. You MUST allow 2 days for the processing.

2. They accept visas until 3:30. No exceptions!

Cheap places to stay:

The cheapest of the cheap is the Hotel Escargot . Sennichimae Line (pink), Dobutsuenmae Station exit #6. Go straight, cross the railway tracks, and make your first left. Walk for about 500 meters and you'll see it on the right. ��2,500/day (W25,000 or so). Small room, shared toilet and bath, in the heart of Osaka's homeless district. That said, they cater to foreigners, and it's just 3 subway stops from Namba. Cool bars in the area as well. Call them at 06-6641-0225 if you get lost. Some English OK. They used a have a site, but it seems to be down. Do a Google search on "hotel escargot osaka" and you can still read the basic info in the Google cache, though.

A better option, IMO, is the Arrow Hotel in America-Mura (right in the heart of the action and 5 mins. from the Korean consulate). I don't have the number, and they don't have a site. But it's ��6,000/day, with private bathroom, cable TV, and very comfortable. Best directions I can give is that it's near a Family Mart that's attached to a large Hotel called Hotel Dormy in the heart of America-mura. If you can't find that, look for the Tower Records (can't miss it). It's 200 meters from there.

If you find the Hotel Dormy (quite prominent), start from the exit of the Family Mart, turn right and walk straight 200 meters. Look for a purple sign on your right that says ARROW HOTEL. Awesome spot!

Things to do:

The bar scene in Osaka is AMAZING, if you know where to go. Tons of foreigners, hot chicks, the works.

Coolest bar in Osaka if you are in town by yourself is the BLARNEY STONE in Umeda: http://www.the-blarney-stone.com . Highly stimulating 7 days a week. One of the centers of the Osaka foreign universe. Even if you go alone, you'll have an awesome time. Sit at the bar, meet some chicks, shoot some pool, and so on and so on.

Best source of nightlife info: http://www.bikeclubosaka.com/

I lived in Osaka for many years, and can tell you the foreigners there are a friendly, welcoming, and helpful bunch. The Bike Club dudes (and dudettes) are at the center of it all. Check out the site, register and post queries, or just drop them an email. I'm certain you'll find out what you need to know.

There's stuff beyond bars, of course, Do a web search and you can find out everything you need to know.

Any more Q's about Osaka, just drop me a PM. (Don't know any more about the visa stuff than I've posted, though.)

Basic Japanese

Sumi-masen = "Excuse me". Any Q you have to a local, start with this.

Ikura-des-ka? "How much is this?" So you should say Sumi-masen, ikura-des-ka?.

Sumi-masen, ____ wa, dochira-des-ka? "Excuse me, where is _____?" (ie "Sumi-masen, TOWER RECORDS wa, dochira-des-ka?")

So, now, if you're going to Osaka, you have no excuse for not having a cheap, awesome, and highly memorable mini-vacation!
quilter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info.

Just a small correction

Quote:

Basic Japanese

Sumi-masen = "Excuse me". Any Q you have to a local, start with this.

Ikura-des-ka? "How much is this?" So you should say Sumi-masen, ikura-des-ka?.

Sumi-masen, ____ wa, dochira-des-ka? "Excuse me, where is _____?" (ie "Sumi-masen, TOWER RECORDS wa, dochira-des-ka?")

In Japanese "dochira" means which, a choice of two or more things or places.
A straighforward and more commonly used word would be "doko" or where.
Sumimasen, ____________ wa doko desu ka?

Don't mean to knit-pick, just trying to help.

Peace,
Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. Help is good.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 UPDATE Reply with quote

Nemesis wrote:
I lived in Osaka for many years, and can tell you the foreigners there are a friendly, welcoming, and helpful bunch. The Bike Club dudes (and dudettes) are at the center of it all. Check out the site, register and post queries, or just drop them an email. I'm certain you'll find out what you need to know.

There's stuff beyond bars, of course, Do a web search and you can find out everything you need to know.

Any more Q's about Osaka, just drop me a PM. (Don't know any more about the visa stuff than I've posted, though.)

great stuff on Osaka..

How do you find Seoul/Korea anyways? Particularly compared to Osaka?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: