Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fired Without Pay and 'Blacklisted' After Contract!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Fired Without Pay and 'Blacklisted' After Contract! Reply with quote

Holy hakwon on a stick!

Alright. So i've been reading this board for a couple of years now and always had a bit of trouble believing that people could just be ripped off so blatantly. But now...

I am Gang Ah Jee and this is my story.

It all started last Tuesday. i was called into my director's office and informed that twelve students were leaving the school and that six were citing my teaching as their reason for leaving. I expressed that I was upset and very surprised and that to my knowledge in three years of teaching here i had never had a student leave because of me.

Boss:

'How long before you finish your contract? 3 days? I want to know how you are going to take responsibility'
I replied that I was sorry that this had happened and offered sincere apologies. Having 3 days left, i wasn't sure what she meant. Given that i had never had any complaints like that before, and that my contract was practically finished, well... WARNING WARNING WARNING

The next day i was told the new teacher was having some problems (illegal recruiter got busted by immigration or something) and could I work two extra days past the friday on which it was agreed that i would finish my work.

So i finished yesterday, and after waiting for some time to recieve my final pay and severance i was told by the go-between that i was expected to meet the director at a restaurant at 8:30. I reluctantly agreed.

meeting my employer, i was met by her and an English speaker. The English speaker and i made small talk for some time until I was confronted about the children who were leaving. I replied that certainly, I would accept some responsibility if concrete criticisms could be made. That seemed to be impossible. After some time the gist was reached.

'We don't want to pay you severance.'

'I don't agree'

The contract was produced, and they pointed to the 'teacher must teach' clause. I replied that I was not at all satisfied as to the fact that I hadn't, and in any case there was no justification in the contract for such a measure as punitive non-payment.

My boss walks out of the room for 5 minutes and comes back saying 'I've just called immigration. He can't re-enter Korea.'

At that point they pointed out that my contract was 6 days from official completion. Told me that 'I hadn't completed my contract' and that I was 'fired.' Without pay or notice - AFTER the date that had been agreed upon as the most convienient to end the business relationship.

Right now I'm considering my options. Donkey-style is a possibility (no tattoos but I used to live in Seongnam) but is to be avoided for now.

I'm in a bit of shock. After three years happily working here this has been a rather unpleasant 'welcome to the hakwon industry'. Just as I was about to escape it too.

Any ESL seers have any advice/comments/abuse?

Edit: Started two paragraphs with 'right now'

Last edited by gang ah jee on Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law is on your side in this case. if you have worked for a company for more than six months, your boss is required to give you advance notice of termination (yes, more than 3 days).

you are not screwed. the school cannot legally terminate your contract at this point, therefore, after you complete your contract (in 3 days?) you will be entitled to receive pay for all hours worked (your boss has to pay this in any case) and severance.

Quote:
we don't want to pay you severance

that's just plain outright nonsense. it's not a choice (unless, of course, they legally terminated your contract, which they can't do at this point). did you read the article in the korean herald today?

your boss's inflated ego also makes me chuckle. as if they had the power to keep you from re-entering korea with a phone call. Rolling Eyes
nothing happens that quickly in korea...nothing...
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks mack

yeah, every hakwon owner and her dog has a friend at immigration.

making coffee.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Man ... this chick is seriously trying to screw you good. Have you got any Korean friends who speak reasonable English ??? This could be a bonus as time & time again these crooks play the language card in order to keep us essentially shut out and thereby unable to effectively defend ourselves & stand up for our "rights" Rolling Eyes

Fired with only 3 DAYS left in your contract ??? Shocked What a load of horsesh&t !!! These directors can be soooooooooo bloody crooked Twisted Evil

Did she not stop to consider these kids might be leaving because YOU ARE and she has yet to find a suitable replacement ??? Ah hell, that's right i forgot ... Hagwon Directors are by definition incapable of erring. Still, this is the kinda thanks we get for faithfully serving out the bulk of our contract agreement. After 10 months, so my Director could save on paying this phony severance, the same thing essentially happened with me. Two of my friends also found themselves, one after 11 months, another with only 2 weeks left ... canned Shocked

So much for the myth of Asian honour eh ???
What a nasty little witch.

Last edited by igotthisguitar on Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i couldn't believe it either. All of a sudden my life has just become a horror story like something you'd read on ESL cafe.

Quote:
You have any Korean friends who speak English ???

yeah, a few. I count myself pretty lucky - i cancelled my flight reservations at first sign of trouble, i have a house and have paid my rent for the next two months, and i have quite a good support base here. I have Korean friends who can speak English with tattoos.

Quote:
Did she not stop to consider these kids might be leaving because YOU ARE and she has yet to find a suitable replacement ??? What a nasty little witch.

I talked with three of the kids who are leaving - they're leaving for the most prestigious hakwon in the neighbourhood - a school that was just rated as the 'best school in korea' on TV apparently. A friend of mine works there and i know enough about it to know that it has a waiting list to get in. In the end I can't feel to guilty about that - losing out to prestige.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to post the name of the school, right?
(apologies if you already have and I missed it)- my sympathies. Sorry to hear about this.
Lemon
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:00 am    Post subject: gang ah jee! Reply with quote

Typical crap from my experiences. My former co-worker was told (by the manager), that the owner was considering forking over severance payment, but would inform co-worker 10 days before co-worker left for home. 10 days before co-worker left for home she was informed the owner was not happy with her services, and didn't have to pay severance. I gave my co-worker some telephone numbers and she contacted the severance board, labour office.
5 days later the manager (as usual, on behalf of the owner), asked if co-worker would accept half. Co-worker and I spoke briefly. I asked her why the owner would agree to 50% of the severance now, when 5 days ago she said 0%?? Don't accept it. Owner wants to save 50%.

Co-worker's severance was deposited into her bank account on her final day of work. You'll get your's too gang...just hang tough.

As for the phone call to Immigration? Do you know who this English speaker representing your boss's best interest's is? I would push that issue too. What did who say to Immigration, if anything was said at all? It's probably crap...the phone call thing. Can you call Immigration in Canada, U.S. and say "He/She is a bad person! I want him/her to never return!!!"??? Doesn't sound too likely to me. If there was any call made, it has to have some substance to it...beyond you being a 'bad' person.

I'm with The Lemon; You are going to post the name of this school, right? Confused
dutchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you post the name, let's have a couple of us apply to it. And just before signing the contract tell the owner we just saw the hagwon name on the blacklist and there is not way we work for such a b@#$%.

Laughing

Good luck Gang Ah Jee

By the way, if the place is in Seoul and hiring I would be willing to apply and do what I mentioned. Just for giggles.
richinkorea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchman wrote:
After you post the name, let's have a couple of us apply to it. And just before signing the contract tell the owner we just saw the hagwon name on the blacklist and there is not way we work for such a b@#$%.

Laughing

Good luck Gang Ah Jee

By the way, if the place is in Seoul and hiring I would be willing to apply and do what I mentioned. Just for giggles.

Excellent idea. Hell maybe we can even get them to send me a ticket.... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't beleive what I am reading. That is totally disgusting behaviour. I have no advice to give you, other than make sure that they don't get away with this. I love your idea Dutchman. Def something to consider. What bastards!!! Hang in thier Gang ah jee - and think of all the kebabs you can buy with your severance when you get home.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I don't have any further advice to offer (good stuff here already...) but just wanted to say your situation sux but I reckon you'll come out tops. I'll buy you a beer you can stare bewildedly (such a word?) into on sat night, if you're still coming...
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emm yeah like I said iin the other thread..
you got fired on the MIDNIGHT HOUR!
greedy hakwon directors had it planned weeks ago if not months..

save money, well they did pay you the last month thank god for that..
anyway like I said in the other thread..

this happend to my friend, he went to the LABOUR BOARD they did everything for free and got all his money including the return flight money
call them tomorrow man, they will have the money in your pocket ASAP!

trust me!

ohh BTW, you aint blacklisted, immigration is closed at 8:30 when she rang them, she is lying, she is just trying to scare you!

naa man you're sweet hye, just call the labour board or department what ever they call it here and tell them whats happned, you have the contract she can lie and beg the board as much as she wants, she has no case!
call them dude..
you need numbers or advice PM me..
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look on the bright side, you can come hang out in cheonan now. right? right?!?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had just informed me that if you give me your Wonjangnim's phone number, we will be happy to phone them 24/7.

Actually, my friend's idea was to simply post his school's name and number here and all who wish just go ape beep bugging the guy.

That time of boss needs to get a life.

And PLEASE tell us your school name so no one ever ends up working for such an untrustworthy school.
eamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked with gang ah jee I know he's a great teacher.

Which makes this situation all the more scary as it could happen to any of us no matter how happy your director seems to be with your work.

If the hagwon has had a bad couple of months a director might just pull a stunt like this to keep his own cashflow healthy.

You have to post the name of this place gang. They'll never know anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: