Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferry Tickets?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: Ferry Tickets? Reply with quote

Going to Fukuoka next week....I want to take the ferry (terrified of flying). How do I get a ticket...do I get it through a travel agent or can I get it, granted if there are vacancies, the morning I leave?
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just go to the Busan ferry terminal. As I remember, the girls spoke English. There is always a seat available. Even if there isn't, the fast ferry is only a couple of hours.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....just go to the terminal, but don't forget your passport.

However nowdays, the ferry is a darn sight more popular and vacancies on the day(especially Friday-Sunday) are becoming uncommon.

If you are nearer to Haeundae www.kangsantravel.com and book it there.
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...actually just called Kangsantravel (I heard of them before) and they booked my tickets and I can just pay at the terminal the morning I leave. As usual, I stressed over nothing Very Happy
I'm taking the Kobee ferry instead of the Beetle...anyone know anything of that ferry?
just because

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the Kobee last week.

Exactly the same althought the seats were a little more comfy, 2 hours 55mins and it was fast.

The office was on the second floor though.

I have a feeling that the Kobee is run by Koreans while the Beetle is run by the Japanese.
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is the Kobee anyways, for a return ticket?

Also, when I think ferry, I think summer...isn't it cold? Maybe a dumb question...but thought I would ask anyhoo.
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they are open all-year round...granted there are no storms or torrential rains, it shouldn't be a problem. Yeah, I'm a little worried about the weather next week. But then again, last year I took a ferry to Ulleungdo and it was raining. We got caught in a storm and it was pretty frightening. But that little ferry kept chugging along.
tzechuk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you manage to come over here if you were terrified of flying?!

Got the boat too? Laughing
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tzechuk wrote:
How did you manage to come over here if you were terrified of flying?!

Got the boat too? Laughing

I wish! Nah...had to fly. My fiance gets embarrased flying with me because the last two flights we took to Thailand and the Phillipines, we hit turbulence and I basically starting crying, making a scene, and freaking out other passengers. I'm waiting for some massive knock-me-out drugs to hit the market for my next flight. I took an online flying phobia course twice but it really hasn't helped.
But actually, I am checking out a freighter cruise that goes from Busan to Los Angeles...the trip takes about 10 days but it looks pretty cool!
just because

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koreabound2004 wrote:
How much is the Kobee anyways, for a return ticket?

Also, when I think ferry, I think summer...isn't it cold? Maybe a dumb question...but thought I would ask anyhoo.

180 000 return...same as the Beetle.

In regards to being cold, it is all indoor and looks like this.

So the cold isn't a problem as it is sitting close to 100 km/hr the whole way there.
the saint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PolyChronic Time Girl wrote:
I believe they are open all-year round...granted there are no storms or torrential rains, it shouldn't be a problem. Yeah, I'm a little worried about the weather next week. But then again, last year I took a ferry to Ulleungdo and it was raining. We got caught in a storm and it was pretty frightening. But that little ferry kept chugging along.

This is going to land you in deep water if you follow this advice. When we were on Ulleungdo, ferries were cancelled for 48 hours simply because of strong winds despite it being sunny gorgeous weather. Despite it calming down, there were still fears among people that on the day when we did finally make it back that they would not run. Even though it did, it left 3 hours after it should have done and the first hour had people pretty worried, the boat was pitching that much.

Basically, do NOT go to Ulleungdo unless you have a couple of days to spare at the end of your planned trip. And take money to tide you over this period too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: