Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

From 'Gook' to 'Raghead'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperFly

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shut up you lilly livered, limp wristed violin playing, slow bus riding loser.

Or I'll come after you in the middle of the night and make you wear ladies underwear.

What I mean't big boy, is that war is hell. Just like I wrote. War is hell. People die on all sides, and all ages. A shame that the world's politicians (and people like you who resort to taking shots at conservatives for fun instead of trying to get along with the other side) can't get along and have to resort to wars. And when the killing starts, people die. That sucks, because no one in their right mind likes to kill.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperFly wrote:
That sucks, because no one in their right mind likes to kill.

The question is what shade and texture a "right mind" looks and feels like ... the point I was disturbed by in the OP's article was that some aspects of military training create minds that don't seem to look, feel or even work right ... unless we mean "right" in the political and ideological sense.

Last edited by The Bobster on Fri May 06, 2005 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The incidents cited in the OP are deplorable. I agree with Bobster that it is very disturbing and it should be discussed. I do not think the author implies that all GIs in Iraq are racist. Sure, there are racists there and what they have done and do is wrong. They do not understand why America is there. America is supposed to be there to defend those who cannot defend themselves. Those soldiers who do not believe that are not following what I believe to be one of the main reason to be in Iraq. Thinking of the innocent Iraqis as the "enemy" is exactly how the military "gets into trouble."

I do not believe they are following President Bush's wishes by harming civilians. Every bunch will have a few bad apples, and unfortunately, they get most of the press. I do believe there are many good soldiers there who want to do good for the Iraqi people, and those who do not, are a shame to the spirit of the American people and spirit.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scarneck

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote=
People are not required to run for office in order to criticize Congress or the pResident - must I be required to put on a uniform before voicing my concerns about the Army?

[/quote]

Well, if you want your opinion to have some validity, sure. I don't understand your comparison. I don't talk about the trials and tribulations of the ESL world because I have not taught ESL. I have stated before, that with 23 years of military experience, I can speak with authority about the military and it's structure. I'd love to have a beer and a conversation with you sometime, it'd be interesting.

Some one posted something about 'hating the people Soldiers were supposed to help" Easy. I went to Haiti on a humanitarian mission, passing out relief supplies and doing engineer work. At a food distro point we had a grenade tossed at our platoon. Same thing in Somalia. So, yeah, it's easy to dislike the people we were sent to help. That was our mission, so we went and actually helped. But, sure it's hard for a young man or woman to understand why the people turn against a humanitarian action. Bad sh*t happens all the time, everywhere. Just when our 'ambassadors in green' get out of line....it's unspeakable.

Some day I'd like to try and explain the Soldier's mentality, what is expected of them at each rank. I'm sure there's some teachers that read this forum that could also. I said before that GIs could F*ck up an anvil, they act up just as many of the ELS community. That horse has been beat severely.

I'm going to Sincheon for a beer....Guess I'll have to wear my Canada shirt and glue on goatee...
jajdude

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer Wine wrote:
Too bad we throw terms around so loosely. "Raghead, towelhead, n-igger, gook, white devil...."

Maybe, its in part to our need to desensitize ourselves to the realness of the other, so that we may feel anger or disagreement to thier ideas, opinions. It could be a socially learnt or maybe even a biologically learnt trait from the past to help defend what is considered normal by ourselves. In the past it may have been thereto justify violence, whereas now, a number of actions are taken through the written and spoken word and are attacks against the other or others ideas. So maybe we use these terms to supress the ideas relevance or realness of others feelings, so that we can make these arguments.

Just a hypothosis, refute at will. Just try and do it logically.

That's too smart for me Wink

I would just say most people are idiots and cannot tolerate difference. Maybe it scares them?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: