Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Galloway was given Iraq oil allocations, says Senate report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Galloway was given Iraq oil allocations, says Senate report Reply with quote

May 12, 2005

Galloway was given Iraq oil allocations, says Senate report
From James Bone in New York
Saddam-era officials claim MP's support won him reward

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7374-1607720,00.html
Alias

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the last time Galloway was accused of accepting money from Hussein's regime. The documents turned out to be forgeries and Galloway was exonerated. Lets see what happens this time around.
dulouz

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galloway is a bastard of course because he offended The Muslims enough for him to go into hiding in fear of his life. He should ask "Why do they hate me?"
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
I remember the last time Galloway was accused of accepting money from Hussein's regime. The documents turned out to be forgeries and Galloway was exonerated. Lets see what happens this time around.

the docs were not shown to be forgeries but Galloway won cause the newpaper didn't give him enough time to prepare his case.
Alias

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appears to be someone out to get him for opposing the war.

Quote:
On April 25, 2003, this newspaper ran a story about documents obtained in Iraq that alleged Saddam Hussein's regime had paid a British member of Parliament, George Galloway, $10 million over 11 years to promote its interests in the West.
An extensive Monitor investigation has subsequently determined that the six papers detailed in the April 25 piece are, in fact, almost certainly forgeries.

Galloway papers deemed forgeries
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just listening to the BBC and they said the Congressional committee that made the allegations offered NO EVIDENCE, which makes this about as delusional as most of the *beep* you post.

It also said that Galloway was going to go and testify before that committee to defend his good name. That I would actually take the time to watch. It should be great fun. I wonder if the committee can refuse to let him testify, so as to avoid being made complete fools of?

Now, this is definitely one George who isn't an inarticulate stumblebum who was placed in power by the ruling elite in highly suspect banana republic-style elections.

R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
Appears to be someone out to get him for opposing the war.

Quote:
On April 25, 2003, this newspaper ran a story about documents obtained in Iraq that alleged Saddam Hussein's regime had paid a British member of Parliament, George Galloway, $10 million over 11 years to promote its interests in the West.
An extensive Monitor investigation has subsequently determined that the six papers detailed in the April 25 piece are, in fact, almost certainly forgeries.

Galloway papers deemed forgeries

"At the time we published these documents, we felt they were newsworthy and appeared credible, although we did explicitly state in our article that we could not guarantee their authenticity," says Monitor editor Paul Van Slambrouck. "It is important to set the record straight:
We are convinced the documents are bogus.
We apologize to Mr. Galloway and to our readers."

Christian Science Monitor!!! How could anyone take a commie rag like that seriously, right Joo? Very Happy Laughing Wink
Wangja

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a libel case, not a criminal case. The Daily Telegraph having lost are going to appeal. We shall see.

I am no right-wing warmonger, but to my mind, anyone who after the Gulf war said to Saddam Hussein "Sir, I salute your courage" has questionable judgement and ethics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=IHHPS4W4HW2DZQFIQMFCM54AVCBQYJVC?xml=/news/2005/05/12/ugallo.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/05/12/ixportaltop.html

Quote:
In December last year Mr Galloway won a libel action against the Daily Telegraph over claims relating to the oil-for-food programme. Last month the newspaper won permission to appeal against the ruling to pay £150,000 damages and £1.2 million in costs.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:
This was a libel case, not a criminal case. The Daily Telegraph having lost are going to appeal. We shall see.

I am no right-wing warmonger, but to my mind, anyone who after the Gulf war said to Saddam Hussein "Sir, I salute your courage" has questionable judgement and ethics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=IHHPS4W4HW2DZQFIQMFCM54AVCBQYJVC?xml=/news/2005/05/12/ugallo.xml&sSheet=/portal/2005/05/12/ixportaltop.html

I don't doubt you at all, wanja, but I would like a link that not only includes this quote but, most importantly, includes it in context. I've noticed that another Brit, one agree with on virtually everything political, hypnotist, also isn't a fan. I'd like to learn more please.

Cheers.
Wangja

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSR, I come from the school that abhors corruption, whether "my side's" or "the other's". Here are a few from the Telegraph: even as the defendant in the libel case, their reporting of facts will be, as always, punctillious.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/04/19/ngall19.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/15/ngall15.xml (The Parilamentary enquiry continues)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/03/ngall203.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/12/03/ngall03.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/11/15/ngall15.xml

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/12/05/ngallo05.xml

He was expelled from the Labour Party (many might take that as a compliment of course). But they do not act without some justification, even if he had merely become an embarassment.

The DT is about as far right as it gets in the UK - and perhaps as a surprise to many here, is my main daily paper. I don't have to agree to appreciate the reporting.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja wrote:

The DT is about as far right as it gets in the UK - and perhaps as a surprise to many here, is my main daily paper. I don't have to agree to appreciate the reporting.

Yes, I've heard it's nickname is the Daily Torygraph. But there's no page three girl!!! Thanks for the references. I'll check them out.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We shall see.

Wangja

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit - delete triple post: very sorry.

Last edited by Wangja on Fri May 13, 2005 6:28 am; edited 2 times in total
Wangja

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: delete triple post - very sorry.

Last edited by Wangja on Fri May 13, 2005 6:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: