Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian election?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Homer

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Harper pushes for this and his party hits the wall in a forced election it will mean the end of the road for him. B. Lord from NB is waiting and has growing support and is a real conservative party politician (i.e. not some former Reform whack job).

I still thinks this push for an election is a huge mistake and that it goes against the wishes of canadians (most polls say that about 60-70% of them want to wait until the Gomery Report is tabled).
Alias

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a vote on the budget May 19th. It will be very close.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
If Harper pushes for this and his party hits the wall in a forced election it will mean the end of the road for him. B. Lord from NB is waiting and has growing support and is a real conservative party politician (i.e. not some former Reform whack job).

I still thinks this push for an election is a huge mistake and that it goes against the wishes of canadians (most polls say that about 60-70% of them want to wait until the Gomery Report is tabled).

You call him a Reform wack job, yet half the Conservative support comes from out West. I think the Conservatives need Harper as leader for a little bit longer until Westerners have accepted the politicians from the rest of Canada as own of their own.

I do agree that this play will backfire on the Harper much like the push for Shawinigate killed Stockwell Day before him. Harper is teetering a very fine line right now between sticking it to the Liberals and showing the rest of the Nation he has no interest in the national interest. (other than become its next PM)
Free World

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEIGUY wrote:
Martin made a promise to call an election after that so it would be up to the public to hold him to it.

A Liberal promise, HA, that's worth a lot.

I agree that the Conservatives should wait for an election. Not to see what the Gomery inquiry decides but just so the Liberals cannot paint them with the same brush as the Bloc. Like MindMeToo said, if the budget is voted down the Liberal propaganda will claim the Conservatives are against health care and against Canada.

Not only is Paul Martin partially to blame for the scandal, he is hypocritical for asking Canadians to pay taxes while he has all his savings in offshore accounts so that they are tax exempt. Sounds like he has Canada's best interest in mind.

Turtle, why should the Conservative party be ashamed to be considered the opposition? They are barely in the lead for polling because the majority of Canadians (Toronto) are apathetic Liberal supporters who would vote Liberal no matter how much tax money they steal. All the Liberals have to do is mention the words "hidden agenda" and Toronto almost unanimously votes for them to ward off the evil right wing.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "problem" for the "Conservatives" is the same problem that has always existed in Canadian politics.

1979: Canada without Quebec decided the election (PC)
1980: Quebec decided the election (Liberal)
1984: Quebec & Ontario decided the election (Liberal)
1988: Quebec decided the election (PC)
1993: Ontario decided the election (Liberal)
1997: Ontario decided the election (Liberal) ** (demise of PC)
2000: Ontario decided the election (Liberal)
2004: Ontario & Quebec decided the election (Liberal)

So really the argument of isolating the West, only holds true if the new leader of the conservative party completely alienates the West as a voting block. Someone who can give the West a bit of confidence AND win the East is the only one that can bring an opposition back into parliment that represents Canada (whatever that means)

The East sees Preston Manning as a freak.
That other guy as a bigger freak (Stockwell Day).
And Stephen Harper to some a question mark, to others a small town conservative that won't represent big city interests, therefore will never win Ontario, and to others still, SATAN himself. Twisted Evil
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't find Harper all that extreme. He is middle of the road when it comes to social issues. Who I do find extreme is all those super-lefties calling the Tories "Reform in Disguise" when in fact they have a broad spectrum of MP's all across Canada. And when you take into consideration that they took 30ish seats in Ontario last time, and also seats in the maratime provinces, they can hardly be called a western party any longer.

I hope Harper makes mince meat of the corrupt Liberals.
Alias

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Conservatives do form the next government it will be the first time the governing party does not have a seat in Quebec.

That would be perfect for the Bloc and PQ. They could really play that one to the separatist cause.
Homer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That would be perfect for the Bloc and PQ. They could really play that one to the separatist cause.

Sadly that is probably 100% true. Rolling Eyes
Koreabound2004

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper is an idiot...through and through.....I will never forget when he wished our aboriginals a "Happy India Day"

Read on:

Harper's face red over native gaffe
Leadership candidate wished aboriginals Happy India Day
By Sue Bailey / The Canadian Press

Ottawa - Christopher Columbus mistook aboriginals for East Indians but Conservative leadership hopeful Stephen Harper should know better, says a furious native leader.

Harper's office drafted a letter of apology Thursday to the Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres after wishing its members a happy India Republic Day.

"This is 2004, Mr. Harper, not 1492 - the last time a man got lost looking for India," wrote federation president Rick Lobzun in a letter dated Wednesday.

"Look what has happened to the aboriginal population . . . since then."

India Republic Day each Jan. 26 marks the day in 1950 when India's constitution took effect, cementing its independence from British rule. It's an annual celebration that heralds the sacrifices of Mahatma Gandhi and other freedom crusaders.

It has nothing to do with aboriginals in Canada.

Although the federation took almost a month to respond, Lobzun wrote to express his "shock and outrage."

"It is shameful, Mr. Harper, that you as a potential leader in this country choose such off-hand forms of communication which make you guilty of possessing a poor briefing staff at best and racist approaches to policy at worst."

Speaking to reporters after a rally Thursday evening in Toronto, Harper repeatedly blamed the gaffe on a "clerical error."

"Somebody put it in the wrong list and obviously somebody mistook Indo-Canadian for Indian," he said.

"It's a minor clerical error."

On House of Commons letterhead dated Jan. 26, Harper extended his greetings to the federation "on behalf of the Official Opposition in Canada's Parliament.

"As you partake in cultural festivities and events, which honour your ancestors and celebrate your heritage, I am pleased to pay tribute to the members of the Indian community in Canada. I salute you for your important and long-standing contributions to the economic and cultural vitality of our wonderful country, and offer you my best wishes for the year ahead."

Lobzun's response dripped sarcasm.

"As aboriginal people, hope is rapidly fading that we will be able to make 'important and long-standing contributions to the economic . . . vitality of our wonderful country'," he wrote.

"Facing barriers such as grinding levels of poverty, high teen suicide rates, low levels of education attainment and poor labour market participation rates, aboriginal people find it difficult to be successful. . . ."

The former Canadian Alliance, once headed by Harper and now part of the new Conservative party, angered many native people with its stance against the pivotal Nisga'a land claim in British Columbia. It also stirred resentment with arguments against what it called "race-based" treaty privileges for aboriginals.

The latest gaffe highlights an old pattern, said New Democrat MP Pat Martin, critic for aboriginal issues.

"What a bunch of buffoons," he said. "This type of Freudian slip is just an indication of the esteem in which they hold aboriginal people."

Conservative organizers were also on the defensive Thursday for a radio attack ad on the Liberals that some say is an offensive mockery of Barbadians.

The ad, which was expected to run in March, is narrated by a man with a mellow Caribbean accent who refers to tax breaks enjoyed in the Barbados by "Mr. Paul" - Prime Minister Paul Martin.

Copyright © 2004 The Halifax Herald Limited
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is making a mistake verbally worse than stealing money from the government and funneling back into a political party?

Sorry, I'll take someone who makes a mistake during an oral presentation over someone who steals from taxpayers anyday!
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why people are so fascinated with Harper.. do you really think having him in power will lower your taxes? please.

Privatization of healthcare WILL happen under a Harper government, and once that happens, Canadian life will forever be changed for the worse..

Ya that sounds a little dramatic, but IMO it's an obvious truth...
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper won't privatize healthcare. He's too middle of the road to succumb to the far right.

Besides, logic dictates that if he privatizes health care, and the public gets cheesed off, and elect the Libs back, they would just make it the way it was before.
Hyalucent

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:

I don't see much good for the country coming out of an election but I'm salivating at the advertising revenue. We have a municipal byelection next month too. My June numbers should be good if I can book 'em this week.
Free World

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SarcasmKills wrote:
I don't see why people are so fascinated with Harper.. do you really think having him in power will lower your taxes? please.

Privatization of healthcare WILL happen under a Harper government, and once that happens, Canadian life will forever be changed for the worse..

Ya that sounds a little dramatic, but IMO it's an obvious truth...

Firstly, yes, I do think a Conservative government will lower taxes. They have in the past.

Secondly, in Ontario our Liberal government passed legislation that forced us to pay a health care premium every year and they eliminated services that were formerly covered by OHIP. Physiotherapy and visits to the optometrist and chiropractor are damn expensive. I don't know how far privatization of health care will go at a national level but the Liberals are sure on track in Ontario.

I definitely agree with Great Wall. On one hand a slip up that ruffled a few feathers, on the other hand a party that steals money from the country to benefit themselves. Despite what Martin claims, Harper does not want to destroy Canada. He just wants to clean up some of the corruption in Ottawa.
I don't trust any politician from any party because there seems to be something about having a lot of power that makes people change from trying to better the country to trying to better their personal situations. However, Harper deserves a chance because he has not fu*&#d the taxpayers over yet.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free World wrote:
I don't trust any politician from any party because there seems to be something about having a lot of power that makes people change from trying to better the country to trying to better their personal situations.

Paul Martin: Before being Prime Minister estimated wealth $70-225 million

Prime minister salary: under $200000

Hmmm...I don't really think it is bettering his personal situation.
Now something along the lines of "Abolsute power...corrupts absolutely" or "He has lost touch (or never knew) the common man" I might buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: