Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIPS on TIPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pootie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: TIPS on TIPS Reply with quote

Is it customary to tip in Korea? I'll be leaving in two days and want to know for what services do people expect a tip. For instance, I must have tipped 3 different people today (got a haircut, ate out, took a taxi)
and also, if tipping in Korea is expected, what is the common percent for most services?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tipping? No way! People will chase you down the street with your change and taxi drivers will insist that you take that 100 won change for your fare. It's not a part of the Korean culture. But then here's bribing... but that's a whole other thread and not the point of your question.

I have sometimes seen tipping jars at western bars and once I asked the staff about it. They said that a lot of the military folk insisted on tipping so they put the jar there to please their patrons. I guess tipping a big part of American culture??? (See I'm from Oz where tipping is not a necessity, nice, but not necessary - American friends help me out here...)
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah in NA you gotta tip...I once saw a maitre'd chase down a customer in the parking lot, reminding them that they'd "forgotten" to tip their waitress.

No tipping is a cool bonus of Korea.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going be one of those idiots that will forget to tip when I get to north america... some cafes have a tipping jar and in the tourist places tips are collected but they are collected up and shared out amongst all the workers.

CLG
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, no tipping here. It's one of the things I think we could learn from. Back at home, you have to tip. I'm like Mr. Pink, I'll tip if an extraordinary effort was put forth, but automatic tipping is bull.
sparkx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that I have become used to the no tipping protocol especially in places like Galbi restaurants. The adjumas fire around cutting up galbi, replacing side dishes and beer working 10x harder than any punk from back home where a tip is demanded regardless of service.
Since I am fast approaching the end of my contract I plan on becoming the masked tipper from here on out. I'll include a 15% tip at every restaurant and make a mad scramble to get out after having left the tip. I'll throw elbows and uppercuts on my way out if I have to just as long as they keep the damn money.

I do regularly tip for haircuts though....

Last edited by sparkx on Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:44 am; edited 1 time in total
denz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
I'll include a 15% tip at every restaurant and make a mad scramble to get out after having left the tip.

problem is, senor fat man who sits at the counter and doesn't lift a finger will pocket those pennies. no-tip culture means no-tip boss.

which sucks, because i am with you.

denz
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting in the habit of tipping taxi drivers up to the nearest 1000 won. Like ESL4Kids I live out in the sticks and its nice for a driver to come out where when he likely won't get a return.

Sometimes though if the fare reads say 7100 won, the driver will only take 7000 won and won't take 8000 won so I guess it comes out even

resturants?? forget it. places like TGI Fridays, Outback already hit you with a 10% charge. Nashville in Itaewon now "suggests" tips, I don't
jaderedux

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
any wetback punk from back home where a tip is demanded regardless of service.
Shocked

wetback punk...am I being overly sensitive here but where I come from that is very uncool way to say mexican.....and um..being that that is where the family tree is planted I am a little sensitive about it... just call me curious.

Jade
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
Since I am fast approaching the end of my contract I plan on becoming the masked tipper from here on out. I'll include a 15% tip at every restaurant

Don't be doing that shit here.
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

working 10x harder than any wetback punk from back home

Man, what the beep is going on here? Is this a Klan meeting?
sparkx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try to stop me Beav. I'll give you a good lickin'......uhhh wrong choice of words maybe.
sparkx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh..apologies. I confused "wet behind the ears" with wetback...No offense.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkx wrote:
Just try to stop me Beav. I'll give you a good lickin'......uhhh wrong choice of words maybe.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: