Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian election?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free World

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is that originally politicians get into politics to help society. (Hopefully).
However, once they get far enough their priorities change and they start scratching the backs of big businesses to help their friends and themselves. Before Paul was PM he was rich but could he give his buddies multi million dollar contracts that tax dollars would pay for?
mithridates

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest poll numbers:

Quote:

TORONTO (Reuters) - Support for the Liberals has slipped further, especially in the Ontario stronghold of a party which has been battered by a corruption scandal and faces a vote of non-confidence this week, according to a new poll on Saturday,

The Ipsos Reid poll showed 27 percent of decided voters would choose the Liberals, down 5 percent from a poll taken a week earlier. The main opposition Conservatives were unchanged at 31 percent. The survey was published in the Ottawa Citizen.

Prime Minister Paul Martin's Liberals have faced near daily negative headlines stemming from an inquiry into a government advertising sponsorship scandal.

Last Tuesday, the Liberals lost a key censure vote in Parliament but refused opposition demands to step down. Martin has proposed Parliament vote on his budget on Thursday and has said he will call an election if he loses. If the Liberals do lose, it paves the way for a June 27 election.

"This is the perfect storm for the Liberals," Ipsos-Reid senior vice-president John Wright said. "Parliament is in near-paralysis ... It's an environment where people will soon want to call for an election, saying it's time to clear the air."

The New Democrats garnered 19 percent support, up three points while the Bloc Quebecois -- which only runs candidates in the French-speaking province of Quebec -- had 13 percent, up one point. The Green party is supported by six per cent, up one point.

Liberal support in Ontario has slumped to 32 percent, down 12 points while the Conservatives edged up to 34 percent, a gain of one point, the poll said. The New Democrats rose 5 points to attract 22 percent support in Ontario, a vote-rich province. The Green party has 8 percent, up 4 points.

The poll of 1,001 Canadians was taken Tuesday through Thursday and has a margin of error of 3.1 percentage points.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free World wrote:
My point is that originally politicians get into politics to help society. (Hopefully).
However, once they get far enough their priorities change and they start scratching the backs of big businesses to help their friends and themselves. Before Paul was PM he was rich but could he give his buddies multi million dollar contracts that tax dollars would pay for?

If you really think that is the case one of us is out of touch. And I don't mind admitting it is me if that is the case. I wouldn't put "Uncle Paul" up as a criminal. I wouldn't even put him up as dishing out the contracts if he didn't believe (whether rightfully so is another matter) that it was in the best interest of the country.

The sponsorship scandal on the other hand is about the old way of doing business in Quebec. If you think this hasn't gone on in one form or another with governments "trying to keep Quebec in Canada" then you are naive.
Free World

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:
The sponsorship scandal on the other hand is about the old way of doing business in Quebec. If you think this hasn't gone on in one form or another with governments "trying to keep Quebec in Canada" then you are naive.

Just because the Liberals have always had shady deals with big business in Quebec doesn't make it right. Sometime it has to stop, why not now?
Alias

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny. I just saw a poll today that said the Liberals were at 43% in Ontario. I am almost certain it was done this week.

Oh well, polls are for dogs anyway.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free World wrote:
turtlepi1 wrote:

Just because the Liberals have always had shady deals with big business in Quebec doesn't make it right. Sometime it has to stop, why not now?

Don't get me wrong I think it needs to stop as well. Having said that throwing out someone who you are fairly confident can do the job for someone like Harper, or god forbid the vote splits and Jack Layton ended up somewhere near power Smile ) Mind you the Block have a better chance of that Razz
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
If the Conservatives do form the next government it will be the first time the governing party does not have a seat in Quebec.

That would be perfect for the Bloc and PQ. They could really play that one to the separatist cause.

Good-quebec is a distinct society that doesn't belong in Canada.

pure laine, have more babies, spoil more ballots, you know the drill
winnie

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really believe in these "polls," have you ever been polled?

Where do these figures really come from? Rolling Eyes
Free World

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:
Don't get me wrong I think it needs to stop as well. Having said that throwing out someone who you are fairly confident can do the job for someone like Harper, or god forbid the vote splits and Jack Layton ended up somewhere near power Smile ) Mind you the Block have a better chance of that Razz

What it is about Martin that gives you such confidence in the man?

I'm not a big believer in the polls either. I have never been polled, not even an exit poll (does Canada have these?)
mithridates

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the confidence comes from being willing to increase the budget by $4.5 billion to get two dozen more votes in the house? Or maybe it's his confident way of making five last-minute funding deals with five provinces a few days before a budget vote so that he can blame anything on the opposition if it falls apart? Maybe it's his confident "I didn't know any more than the average Canadian about the scandal even though I was Finance Minister", or perhaps his confident backstabbing of Jean Chretien while he was still Prime Minister?
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Junior wasn't ruthless enough when stabbing Prime Minister Johnny Cretin in the back.
Free World

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Man known as The Man wrote:
Paul Junior wasn't ruthless enough when stabbing Prime Minister Johnny Cretin in the back.

Just a couple of honest, hardworking and Canada loving guys, I wonder why they couldn't get along.
Homer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belinda Stonach switched to the Liberals....

Ouch Harper who now has egg all over his face and good bye Ontario hopes for the conservatives as she was their anchor in that province.
Free World

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer wrote:
Belinda Stonach switched to the Liberals....

Ouch Harper who now has egg all over his face and good bye Ontario hopes for the conservatives as she was their anchor in that province.

There is now only a 5% chance of having a June election.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: