Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Internet Weirdo: Keeping our personal details private

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: The Internet Weirdo: Keeping our personal details private Reply with quote

A certain undisclosed Australian ex-moderator sent this link of an LP Thorn Tree thread to me this evening.

Troll? Psycho? Both? Whatever the case, the thread is overflowing with lessons to be learned about online behaviour.

On the other hand, his online resume (also linked to the thread) also tells us much about recent world events:
Quote:
In 1997, while teaching at a college in South Korea, I discovered plans to attack the World Trade Center and the pentagon using commandeered, fuel-laden aircraft, and had told well over 100 people about it in detail in the years before it happened. Of this last statement I do have evidence and proof.

The LP thread indicates that he's using a made-up identity combining names of famous authors, thus it's all a big put-on. Interesting hobby.

Last edited by The Lemon on Mon May 16, 2005 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a strange read. I felt sorry for the bicycle guy in the first link.

While reading the profile, I thought, "What a geek!" But in the end, I think you are right. Some jerk is making a hobby of posting phoney profiles.

Someday some psych major is going to make a ton of money by studying the whack jobs who post on on-line boards. There is definitely something about the internet that brings out the worst in some people. It's an interesting phenomenon. It seems to be more than just the anonymity of it. It's also a little frightening that there are so many hostile, abusive people running loose 'out there'.
Paji eh Wong

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Someday some psych major is going to make a ton of money by studying the whack jobs who post on on-line boards.

There's a market for that?
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a survivor of the worst railroad disaster in the history of Ireland (August 1, 1980).

Hey, I put this on every resume I write. Sews up the job every time.

Of course, I usually start with "In the beginning..."

and leave out the "How I knew about 9/11" details.

A bit too pompous.
SuperFly

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freakiest waegooooook!!!!!

Razz

Quote:
I actually used to lay awake at night thinking about doing all this, and one day I came very close to actually starting doing all this. In the end, however, I kept considering all the crimes committed against me and my family over the years, and how the system always seemed to protect the perpetrators. I decided that this would be my one and only chance to make a difference. I considered that the so-called system had done nothing more than cheated me of my rights as an American. In the balance of things, the system was guilty, and the attack would be my own little airplanes-as-missiles scenario that most everyone said would never ever happen. They had said I was crazy. They said this attack could never happen. They said I was delusional. They ignored. They libeled.
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They had said I was crazy

They were right.

What a loon.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's a market for that?

Sure! Back in the 80's there was a whole new career for deprogramers who kidnapped and 're-educated' people who had been in cults.

Saw a thing on TV recently where a guy bills himself as an exorcist. He charges $1500 for a one-day exorcism. The great thing is that he has done an exorcism three times on one woman. The profit is in the repeat customers. He said he does about 200 a year, or it might have been more.

I for one would be happy to kick in a few man won to de-program a few of the flakes here at Dave's.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Saw a thing on TV recently where a guy bills himself as an exorcist. He charges $1500 for a one-day exorcism. The great thing is that he has done an exorcism three times on one woman. The profit is in the repeat customers. He said he does about 200 a year, or it might have been more.

I saw a documnetary once about a Catholic priest who does exorcisms in(if I recall) Italy. They showed him exorcising this supposedly possesed elderly woman in the presence of her husband. The funny thing was, the "demon" seemed to spend most of his time lambasting the husband for being a jerk. It looked more like marriage counselling than exorcism.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sure! Back in the 80's there was a whole new career for deprogramers who kidnapped and 're-educated' people who had been in cults.

I remember that era. People used to talk about deprogrammers as if they had the same status as law-enforcement agents. In fact, I think the deprogrammers REALLY REALLY craved said status. Anyway, I think things sort of went downhill for the deprogrammers after a few abductees refused to go back to their families, claiming that contrary to the popular view, they were actually staying in the cult on their own free will. Then, of course, they turned around and charged the deprogrammers with kidnapping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: