Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

death at home...what does one do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of in this situation at the moment.

My grandmother is pretty sick now. She's 93. I doubt she will see 94. but she is in England. I made a promise to myself I would be at her funeral, as I missed my granddad's when I was a kid.

I will probably bite the bullet, and by a round-trip from Seoul to Manchester and be there when the time comes, telling my boss I need a week off.

But if my parents died?

They are my adoptive parents, but I love them as they raised me. Essentially and in my mind's eye they ARE my parents. It would be straight home to Canada should the situation occur.
shaun k

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my father died suddenly last year (he was only 52), and i booked a ticket for the next day, and THEN consulted my boss. i was gone for almost two weeks, and there was no problem at work. i think they were surprised that i came back at all.

as for airlines giving disounts, they do not offer anything for international travel. i think my sister received something but she was just flying across the US, not from abroad.
Harvard Material

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Funeral Leave Reply with quote

What a thoughtful topic...certainly worthy of discussion, as the longer we are here the more likely that reality becomes. It is bound to happen while I am here, and I dread that day. How do you deal with it?

As for conracts? Blah. That's the easy part. When this situation rears it's ugly head in my life...if the boss seems offended? *&#$-off. Bye-bye.
If my boss - at the very least - doesn't refute my claim as a lame excuse to have a 'holiday' back home, I would return to Korea when the services were over.

I was really touched by Posco's post. They are very considerate employer's/co-workers, and at a time such as that you need them. Not for financial reasons, but supportive. Just a bit of compassion.
Any financial contributions offered are simply to achieve what words can not perform; from peole who know little about your 'home' life/family, but want to help you during a difficult time. It is a very kind act that seperates compassionate persons from the rest (Canadian Teacher's situation is unbelievable, but it does happen. Terrible actions that one would not expect from any person; total stranger or otherwise). That was sad to hear C.T..

It isn't rude to offer money in such a situation, nor is it rude to accept - or decline - an offer of financial assistance. It would be a costly, unexpected trip that most of us would rather not wish to be dealt...beyond the expense. That is simply an unfortunate part of it, and the people that helped you Posco realise that. They wanted to help you get through a tough time, and did anything they could to do so.

All of these posts were good. How many of us have considered our own preperations? Imagine the problems our families would encounter if an unfortunate motorcycle accident occurred? Anything?

It isn't an easy situation to deal with, and you guys that have experienced this 'topic' - and posted your experience - will make my understanding of my own situation a little more clear when it does unfold.

Sincerely...
FliptheCoin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I came to Korea, my Nana was really sick with cancer. I knew she wasn't going to last long. Wrote a letter saying how much I appreciated her and what an influence she's been in my life. When she did pass away it was really sad, but I think I knew before I came over that I wasn't going home for the funeral.

Everyone at work was really understanding and would totally have let me go home, but I decided not to. Maybe under different circumstances, if she had been in perfect health and died suddenly, I would have rushed home.

Its hard though, no matter where you are. And I'm sure it will hit me all over again just returning home and not having her there.
Not Angry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some airlines do offer deep discounts. When my Grandfather died I flew home on the next flight out. The published fare was over $1,000 but I paid just of $100. This was within the US so I don't know how if works for International flights though I believe that any US based airline would give you the discount. By the way I flew American Airlines and I know that Northwest does it as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: