Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

heavy question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. I have heard this before. Yes, my parents still refer to anything that isn't milk or bread as "luxury foods." We have changed. Thank God we have someone that is prepared to discuss this rationally rather than just slam westerners for being lazy. More thinly veiled contempt for whites. To the original poster, you really want to know why? Because Koreans consume 30% fewer calories overall than people in North American and Europe. Koreans simply eat less, which is another thing that Korea shares with "developing" nations despite being a developed nation. Koreans, in many ways, still think like people in developing nations. If that means not being fat, good, but there are negative aspects: materialism, anti-intellectualism, racism, sexism and ageism being some of the most obvious.

Last edited by Pyongshin Sangja on Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
You know full well I never implied any kind of value judgment of the "if yours are worthy" variety. If you feel like you want to add something to any discussion, go for it.

I know that! Very Happy All of your posts that I've read have been well balanced. If I read anything like that, I would have attacked it directly. What I was referring to was the unintentional impression that new users can be left with.
The Lemon wrote:
I *like* it when "dead" (no such thing really) threads are "resurrected" - we have new users all the time, and bringing out those old threads exposes those old ideas to new audiences. That's why we don't lock old threads.
That's cool, but honestly, when one sees an old thread with 7 pages of posts dating back to February, do you think they want to wade through all of them? New threads are much more appealing. Anyway, my memory sucks, so I don't mind reading the same topic over and over again... Confused
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea Newfie wrote
Quote:
The Lemon wrote:
Quote:
I *like* it when "dead" (no such thing really) threads are "resurrected" - we have new users all the time, and bringing out those old threads exposes those old ideas to new audiences. That's why we don't lock old threads.

That's cool, but honestly, when one sees an old thread with 7 pages of posts dating back to February, do you think they want to wade through all of them? New threads are much more appealing.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but one way to interpret that is that you slightly prefer to write things to post here rather read what others have posted ... is that really what you mean? And if so, doesn't it strike you as not quite the most polite way to have a conversation?

Don't take this as an attack, just questioning your meaning, and perhaps wondering if you yourself have thought about what it implies ...

Cool

Waterbaby was just the slightest bit persnickety (and she apologized for that) but she's right, it was a good thread. Check it out here.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?p=8638&highlight=confessions+former+fattie#8638

By the way, this one has only five pages ...
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now. Lets talk about something really heavy:

These are The Fatboys in the 1984 film Krush Groove. They were heavy and proud of it and they made millions. Get down.
Sliver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cedar wrote

Quote:
Did you see the news about 3 months ago about how Asians BodyMassIndex is different from Westerners, and that a 115 pound 5'2 Asian woman might actually be 20% overweight? Different bone density and stuff like that, I guess. It was some huge scientific study though about how we'd all assumed Asian bodies could be judged like those of European stock and how wrong we were.

Don't know about the science of it but...

I am 110 kg and my Korean wife is 48kg. So I am fat and she is thin. However I bench press 130kg (4sets, 8 reps for the lifters out there) whereas she complains about the weight of her hand bag. Anyway back to Cedars remark, My wife is 48 kg on a 170cm frame but is "soft". I've had girlfriends at home slightly shorter and a bit heavier but they were "firm" to the touch. So, maybe cedar has a point.

Just my annecdotal experience......
mapomope

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: heavy question Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
The korean mindfix is not far off the mark -- those white folk are portly.

Koreans are racists, that is true.
Skippy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are westerners fat is such a large and loaded question. There are many reasons why and I mean many - re are few.

1. Diet - people eat different food in different countries Korea = rice and Kimchi and ramyeon Japan Rice and Sushi US, Canada, Australia=Bread, Soda, Meat, More Meat, Chips, Pizza, Pasta, Fast FOOD. I can go on.

2. Genetics and Hereditry. Westerns are are wide variaty of stock you have tall, skinny people, short, fat people. Look at koreans it the same usually body type and person. In a sense they all look alike and are alike.

3. Sendentary lifestyles. We walk less and sit and computer more and we just do not burn calories. Korean are becoming similar more relaxed. Expect more fat bottomed girls.

4. Changes in food production. Rice is out and meat is in. Less vegtables and more meat. Less healthy simple foods and more junk food like chips.

5. Self esteem. Westerners at time are more "comci com sa" about it. "So what if I am a bit big around the waste - what ever". As korean are more "Oh my god I am fat I am worthless I must diet"

6. Change in eating habbits. People eat less three squares a day and snack and over eat more often. In Korea this is becoming worse. Children are not having a healthy supper of Rice and Kimichi but are being given 2000 won and told to have a snack while they are at night school.

Well there are some reasons why. My personal belief is Koreans are in for the same as us in the future. More fats kids are visible now a days.

LONG LIVE THE FATSO!

Skippy Twisted Evil
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:
I don't want to put words in your mouth, but one way to interpret that is that you slightly prefer to write things to post here rather read what others have posted ... is that really what you mean? And if so, doesn't it strike you as not quite the most polite way to have a conversation?

Don't take this as an attack, just questioning your meaning, and perhaps wondering if you yourself have thought about what it implies ...

Hey Bobster,

That's not really what I meant, but yeah, I guess you could take it that way. I mean, by posting and asking others' opinions, I think that shows I want to hear them (thereby nullifying your point). However, I will admit that if I want do discuss Koreans' driving habits on odd-numbered days, I don't care what anybody had to say about it 5 months ago--I want to discuss I now. If people who've already posted on it want to post again, cool. If not, they can skip it.

For every regular who's already read a thread back in the day, I'd bet there are a bunch who haven't, and are interested.
Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a flip side to all of this - while thinness is the predominant desire of social culture, what about the naturally thin people who are constantly being told to put on weight? Comments over one's size in any form can be hurtful; just because someone is pointing out a lack of weight does not make it a compliment! Embarassed

I agree - there are plenty of obese kids here, and it can be put down to what everyone's been saying: more processed, sugary junk foods, less wholesome healthy traditional foods. It is a syndrome of Asian nations who are enjoying their Yuppie Years. At the moment, Korea is a heavy economic power, and is consuming, consuming, consuming at a MASSIVE rate. So naturally, companies are taking advantage of this free-for-all and mass-marketing every bit of junk food they thinkj of. In about 15-20 years, I reckon Korea will wise up, sober up and hop on the treadmill.

Wombat
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just reading 'Confessions of a Former Fattie' again and remembering how interesting some of those posts were.

Something I've been interested in for a while now is the connection between poverty and obesity. It seems counter-intuitive that those who are poorest would have such obesity problems, but another poster said it well when he states that a lot of cheap food these days is the unhealthy food. Here are some interesting links about the connection between poverty and obesity:
http://www.nypost.com/postopinion/opedcolumnists/449.htm
http://www.undp.org/fojam/obesity_speech.htm

And of course much has been said about our new sedentary lifestyle and its connection to being overweight or obese. I found an interesting quote on this page linked below (full of interesting quotes):
"Globally, women generally have higher rates of obesity than men do, although men may have higher rates of overweight. "
The Sedentary lifestyle and obesity connection:
http://www.obesity.org/subs/fastfacts/obesity_global_epidemic.shtml

It's funny how public perception changes with time and situation. In some cultures, fat is beautiful and in others it's hideous. I remember a teacher once saying to me that in many ancient societies, people who were fat were looked up to as rich, prosperous, and beautiful. Nowadays it's flipped around a bit in some cases--some of out most rich and prosperous people (especially those who depend on their looks for their job) are thin. In some cases they have become more successful as they have lost more weight (Jennifer Aniston, Callista Flockheart, Lara Flynn-Boyle, etc. ). I guess the one thing we can count on is that the ideals of beauty will always be changing. Remember the Rubenesque beauties of yesteryear? http://falcon.jmu.edu/~brooksrg/rubens.html

Last edited by mokpochica on Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The search function issue is a big grey area, from what I see. There's a ton of "Korean Girl" threads that keep getting rehashed over and over again, with little to nothing done about them.

I really think the search function is better for hard information or for things that really offer very little in terms of discussion or debate, and that these discussion threads should get a little more leeway. But, then, I'm not a mod, am I?
mokpochica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
There is a flip side to all of this - while thinness is the predominant desire of social culture, what about the naturally thin people who are constantly being told to put on weight? Comments over one's size in any form can be hurtful; just because someone is pointing out a lack of weight does not make it a compliment! Embarassed

Right on Wombat. I've always been chubby and both of my sisters have always been very thin. We were all teased (and in some cases harassed) about our looks-my younger sister was told again and again that she looked anorexic when she had her growth spurt.

Hopefully someday we will be able to look into our fashion/entertainment magazines and see people of all body types portrayed as being equally beautiful.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree - there are plenty of obese kids here, and it can be put down to what everyone's been saying: more processed, sugary junk foods, less wholesome healthy traditional foods. It is a syndrome of Asian nations who are enjoying their Yuppie Years. At the moment, Korea is a heavy economic power, and is consuming, consuming, consuming at a MASSIVE rate.

This is right. It's not the fault of the obese kids that they're large - it's the Yuppie Moms jamming candy and ice cream down these kids' throats (usually boys, princes of the family that they are here) as a way of "showing their love" that are the problem.

It's neglect, I say. In many Western elementary schools, parents of overweight kids are asked to adjust their kids diets (assuming it's not disease-related or hormonal). I doubt that happens here.
Gord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: heavy question Reply with quote

mapomope wrote:
Koreans are racists, that is true.

Ironically, this statement is racist. Thus you become what you seek to condem.
HardyandTiny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: heavy question Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
The korean mindfix is not far off the mark -- those white folk are portly.

I'm surprised this comment has lasted this long without being changed by the moderaters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: