Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newsweek withdraws Koran report
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuros

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The lesson here is simple: If Muslims wish other religions to respect their beliefs and their Holy book, they should lead by example.

Granted, and I agree with the Globe article that the people who should be blamed for causing the riots are the people who rioted. But, it seems to me that making Saudia Arabia or the Taliban representative of Islam is a little unfair. Yes, Saudi Arabia confiscates Bibles, but just because they are hard-line, Shar'ia touting Muslims does not make them mainstream or good Muslims.

It is a problem that although very few Muslims are suicide bombers, for the most part almost all suicide bombers are Muslim. However, give the religion a break. Taliban and Saudia Arabia should not be representative.
Teufelswacht

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Granted, and I agree with the Globe article that the people who should be blamed for causing the riots are the people who rioted. But, it seems to me that making Saudia Arabia or the Taliban representative of Islam is a little unfair. Yes, Saudi Arabia confiscates Bibles, but just because they are hard-line, Shar'ia touting Muslims does not make them mainstream or good Muslims.

It is a problem that although very few Muslims are suicide bombers, for the most part almost all suicide bombers are Muslim. However, give the religion a break. Taliban and Saudia Arabia should not be representative.

Although, generally speaking I agree with your sentiment, to be fair to the author of the Globe article he did mention:

Quote:
It is 9/11 and Beslan and Bali and Daniel Pearl and the USS Cole. It is trains in Madrid and schoolbuses in Israel and an ''insurgency" in Iraq that slaughters Muslims as they pray and vote and line up for work. It is Hamas and Al Qaeda and sermons filled with infidel-hatred and exhortations to ''martyrdom."

I see the author highlighting far more than just the Saudi's and the Taliban. As far as the second article goes, the author appears to be a Saudi highlighting and criticizing the hypocrisy of Saudi Arabia when they talk about the koran reports. I see the article as focused and identifying itself as addressing just Saudi Arabia's theocracy run amok.
Summer Wine

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, give the religion a break. Taliban and Saudia Arabia should not be representative.

Maybe not, but the Saudi Arabian Government for the past 15 years has supported the construction of mosques, sent wahabist clerics to promote thier message and generally pushed thier brand of Islam into every muslim country or country that has muslims. They have had thier hands in the financial support of radical groups and thus they are the ones desiring to be seen as representative of Islam. It is the silence to these actions over the last 15 years that had done more to bring extremisim into main stream Islam than more current actions. Though these current actions are adding fuel to the fire that was lit many years ago.

The US supported the (Saudi King? Crown Princes?) Grandfather who was the leader of the Wahabist movement back in the 1920's so that they could get thier hands on the oil. It seems you reap what you sow.
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plot thickens, or should that be thinnens ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4581383.stm
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer Wine wrote:
Quote:
However, give the religion a break. Taliban and Saudia Arabia should not be representative.

Maybe not, but the Saudi Arabian Government for the past 15 years has supported the construction of mosques, sent wahabist clerics to promote thier message and generally pushed thier brand of Islam into every muslim country or country that has muslims. They have had thier hands in the financial support of radical groups and thus they are the ones desiring to be seen as representative of Islam. It is the silence to these actions over the last 15 years that had done more to bring extremisim into main stream Islam than more current actions. Though these current actions are adding fuel to the fire that was lit many years ago.

The US supported the (Saudi King? Crown Princes?) Grandfather who was the leader of the Wahabist movement back in the 1920's so that they could get thier hands on the oil. It seems you reap what you sow.

The US alliance with Saudi disgusts me.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer Wine

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB, I don't see much that we can do about it until those who benefit off oil, find another energy source. There are signs that this will happen, or at least reduce the dependency on oil for the powering of Cars.

I agree, that the US has committed a lot of stupid decesions all to benefit its corporate elite, supporting the Saudis is just one of them. I mean, the Saudi royal family and the Wahabist Islamic Groups do come across as some of the least open minded people on the planet.

And I apologise to you for sometimes not explaining precisely what I mean when I say muslims.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funplanet wrote:
the so-journalists are simply following the template......write anything that will hurt Bush and embarass the US

the f*s got people killed...that is CRIMINAL

Your inflamed sense of justice about the death of people that you attribute to Newsweek as a result of a sourcing error would be amusing if it weren't so sad. Obviously, you're channeling that paragon of virtuous indignation and the right's most beloved junkie bloviator again.

This does NOT make me laugh, however. This makes Jesus cry.

flakfizer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R. S. Refugee wrote:
funplanet wrote:
the so-journalists are simply following the template......write anything that will hurt Bush and embarass the US

Your inflamed sense of justice about the death of people that you attribute to Newsweek as a result of a sourcing error would be amusing if it weren't so sad. Obviously, you're channeling that paragon of virtuous indignation and the right's most beloved junkie bloviator again.

This does NOT make me laugh, however. This makes Jesus cry.

What makes Jesus cry? The cartoon?
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flakfizer wrote:

What makes Jesus cry? The cartoon?

Not claiming any omniscience myself, of course, but what I had in mind was the inhumanity in the sin of torture. Jesus was the world's most famous torture victim himself, was he not? And a Middle Eastern torture victim at that.

Last edited by R. S. Refugee on Mon May 30, 2005 5:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funplanet wrote:

Newsweek got people killed? I think it was a gang of irrational, hate-filled Muslims who got themselves into that predicament.

And you don't need Newsweek to embarrass the U.S. - your government and its supporters (ie: you) do a fine job.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funplanet wrote:

Gee, it's hard to decide which one is more CRIMINAL. A writer who made a sourcing error,
or the author of all the events described in this cartoon.

supernick

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who needs Newsweek to embarass America. America has Bush, wannago, Funplanet, Derrek and a few others that do a pretty good job of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: