Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will religious fanatics bring back witch burning?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alias

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teufelswacht wrote:
Ooops, I almost forgot.

Ya-Ta, if you are interested in the ID debate in Kansas you might be interested in the following link:

http://www.ksde.org/outcomes/sciencestdexptest.html

Take care

Teufelswacht

I know it is just one state but it is almost impossible to believe that this is happening in the 21st century.
dogbert

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
Teufelswacht wrote:
Ooops, I almost forgot.

Ya-Ta, if you are interested in the ID debate in Kansas you might be interested in the following link:

http://www.ksde.org/outcomes/sciencestdexptest.html

Take care

Teufelswacht

I know it is just one state but it is almost impossible to believe that this is happening in the 21st century.

Free speech allows radio evangelists and other like-minded fundamentalist religious zealots to spread falsities, which excite simple-minded people who use free speech to attack school boards, which then eliminate free speech as it relates to teaching children science as opposed to religious clap-trap.

And so it goes.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shakuhachi wrote:
flakfizer wrote:
Wait, "fundamentalist" Christians desire to live life under the Old Covenant of Hebrew law? Boy, those people down at "The Smirking Chimp" sure do their research.

That seems to be true. I have a cousin who is a fundamentalist Christian, and for all her talk about Jesus, you would think he never taught anything at all. 'Fundamentalists' ignore a lot of what Jesus said in favor of the old testament. Doesnt seem like very authenic Christianity to me.

Oh, please do present examples. I long to hear what fundamentalists (aptly represented by your cousin, I'm sure) really believe.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flakfizer wrote:
shakuhachi wrote:
flakfizer wrote:
Wait, "fundamentalist" Christians desire to live life under the Old Covenant of Hebrew law? Boy, those people down at "The Smirking Chimp" sure do their research.

That seems to be true. I have a cousin who is a fundamentalist Christian, and for all her talk about Jesus, you would think he never taught anything at all. 'Fundamentalists' ignore a lot of what Jesus said in favor of the old testament. Doesnt seem like very authenic Christianity to me.

Oh, please do present examples. I long to hear what fundamentalists (aptly represented by your cousin, I'm sure) really believe.

Might be hard for him to remember the specifics of what his cousin said and even harder for him to remember what teachings she didn't say. Like remembering that she never mentioned anything about the Sermon on the Mount as an example if that were the case.

Perhaps a more systematic approach would be to find some fundamentalist web sites and analyze the messages that they present and then look for corollaries in either the Old Testament or the New Testament. We could end up becoming Biblical scholars. Very Happy Laughing Wink
fiveeagles

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Free speech allows radio evangelists and other like-minded fundamentalist religious zealots to spread falsities, which excite simple-minded people who use free speech to attack school boards, which then eliminate free speech as it relates to teaching children science as opposed to religious clap-trap.

Wow. I sense a bit of bitterness. Man, the wisdom in the quote makes me want to be a believeah. No generalizations at all.

Wink
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>. Just as, for a spell, everyone was during the middle ages a potential "witch", these days we're all potential "terrorists".

Talk about political "correctness". I think it's called "transference".
dogbert

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiveeagles wrote:
Quote:

Wow. I sense a bit of bitterness. Man, the wisdom in the quote makes me want to be a believeah. No generalizations at all.

Wink

Fine, but where exactly is that wrong?

Fundamentalist Christians exercise their right to free speech/preach to STOP free speech in the classroom.

You can call it bitterness. To me, it is concern that the future education of our children will be directed by know-nothings. We have already seen, thanks to the current administration that science is to be treated as an enemy when fundamentalist Christianity dictates.

Sorry that many of you think that's worthy of little concern.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: