Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sperm donor fights order to support 2 children
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm VERY against this idea of having the sperm bank donor paying child support for 18 years.

One, because its A LOT of money!

Two, because every welfare mother throughout the United States could go crazy taking advantage of this system for 'free money'.

Third, as far as I know, sperm donors were for the benefit of those who otherwise couldn't have children together (husband is impotent or something). The idea of a couple being able to have children and make some random guy pay child support.. or a gay couple having some random guy pay child support.. or just some single women who wants to have a baby (and have some random donor pay for it).. its all just way too much for me to consider seriously.

I mean, the sperm bank, by definition, means that a person is intentially TRYING to conceive a child. They need to take on financial responsibility with their other partner.. or have some solution if they are insisting on being a single parent raising a kid.

How much is 18 years of child support? $200,000 probably? Its like hitting the lotto. Something like $1000/month for 18 years, right?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about if your girlfriend hands you a faulty condom and says, "Use this"? Wouldn't you share responsibility?

When I wrote that, I was thinking that neither knew the condom was faulty. In that case, both share responsibility. The baby was an 'accident'.

I wasn't thinking of the set-up angle. But since it came up, my answer would still be the same. Anytime two people engage in sex there is a possibility that the birth control method will fail. That is a risk they are deliberately running. If a man does not want to run the risk of becoming a father then he needs to keep his pants zipped. If he isn't willing to do that then he needs to step up and be a man and take responsibility.

It's kind of like taking your life savings out of the bank and going to Las Vegas and gambling it all away, knowing full well that the system is rigged in favor of the house.
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real Reality wrote:
Pregnant on the sly
The practice of falsely attributing fatherhood is rising among women
by Walter H. Schneider and Candis McLean
http://www.fathersforlife.org/fatherhood/pregnant_sly.htm

"I'm sorry to say there's a good chance he's not your boy," he recalled the physician telling him. In disbelief, he had DNA work done on all his kids. The staggering conclusion: His three sons were not his three sons, at least not biologically speaking.
http://www.mesacanada.com/patern01.htm

All this has been going on since before the stone age. A British study found that women were most likely to be unfaithful during the few days of ovulation. That suggests that it is an evolutionary 'thingo.' Women are also most likely to be attracted to very masculine men on those few days. This means that women are instinctively seeking out the better gene donors on those days they are most likely to concieve, even if they don't consciously know that. It's all very animalistic, and it's always been that way. Back in the old days, most men were non the wiser, and happily loved and doted on children who were not genetically theirs. With modern technology, that's coming to an end.

From an individual point of view, it's an evolutionary disaster to be rearing offspring that are not biologically yours. But for the species as a whole, it's probably a damned good thing.
flakfizer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="The Bobster"]
Ya-ta Boy wrote:
[q

Very intriguing point, though. Even to drive a motorcycle down trhe street you not only need to get a license, but more to the point, you haved to take a test to prove you know a little of what you need to in order to do it well.

Imagine if there was a written test for parenthood ... how many would fail it?

Oh great, we're now turning to Keanu Reaves' character in "Parenthood" for wisdom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: