Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How big is your apartment?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Real Reality

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: How big is your apartment? Reply with quote

Are you provided at least the average size of housing in Korea? How big and new is your university or institute provided housing?

My place is around 16 pyeong. The faucet sometimes pours forth some dark red (rusty) water. There are cracks in some walls. The toilet leaks water.

Average apartment measures 32 pyeong

The average size of an apartment unit in Korea was measured at 31.8 pyeong (104.9 square meters), nearly 6 pyeong larger than the 25.9 pyeong average from 13 years ago, a survey showed yesterday.

The average size of apartment units in Seoul came to 34.5 pyeong, larger than the nation's average by 2.7 pyeong.

11.6 percent of the surveyed apartment units measured less than 20-pyeong, while 37.1 percent were between 20 pyeong and 29 pyeong. Another 30.6 percent were between 30 pyeong and 39 pyeong, while 11.8 percent were between 40 pyeong and 49 pyeong. Finally, 8.8 percent were larger than 50 pyeong.

http://www.koreaherald.co.kr/SITE/data/html_dir/2003/06/10/200306100021.asp
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faulty comparison question. Average apartment sizes would be primarily family units & quite often extended families. If you looked at pyeong per person, I would guess most foreign teachers are relatively well-off in terms of space here.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Faulty comparison question. Average apartment sizes would be primarily family units & quite often extended families. If you looked at pyeong per person, I would guess most foreign teachers are relatively well-off in terms of space here.

I agree with schwa... 32 pyoung is actually quite large. The reason that that is now average is because most newer complexes are building only 32 pyoung or bigger these days, I think from around 2002. The average is skewed when you consider that there are many apartments that are close to 100pyoung which pull the average up quite a bit - thus misrepresenting all the people who live in less than 20 pyoung.

I currently live in a 15 pyoung apart with my wife and baby - this is a little small, only because of the baby. Without the baby it would be fine. however in August I will be moving into a 24-25 pyoung apartment.
denz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:55 am    Post subject: yesh well Reply with quote

i have a three story, 9000 pyong APT in kangnam-gu. i have three parks nearby, but lead pain in my walls.

denz
wormholes101

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimcheeking wrote:
I agree with schwa... 32 pyoung is actually quite large.

32 pyeong is big. Actually bloody massive (for Korean standards) if it were all for yourself.

My APT is 18 pyeong and its quite ok for one person. Wouldn't complain if it were a couple of pyeong bigger though.

BTW.. what is the exact size of a pyeong in sq meters?
mack the knife

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep in mind that many apartments/officetels are not really as big as listed (15/18/21 pyeoung, whatever)...in fact, the space OUTSIDE your front door is often included (yes, i mean the hallway, the one that EVERYBODY uses).

so, typically an 18 pyeong officetel is more like 15. 15 is more like 13. etc. etc. etc.

if you have a hallway outside your front door, utilize that space, because you're payin' for it.
schwa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes beyond that -- includes the elevator & parking space too.
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know my exact apartment size - there are some features that skew the pyong-o-meter (a loft) - but it has got to be at least 20. Way big enough for 2 people with new bathroom, laundry, living room and 2 good sized bedrooms.

I can't complain.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small. Don't have any conception of pyong, but 3 sounds like an overstatement right now.
yodanole

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Old stogies I have found
short, but not too big around
no phone, no pool, no pets,
I ain't got no cigarettes, Ah but
two hours of pushing broom
buys an 8 x 12 four bit room"
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first apt was a 23 pyung affair. . .lived with someone else. It was in an old building and had strange smells coming from the bathroom. Second apt was about 9 pyung. The ants and I fought it out for a few days until I poured bleech down all the drains and washed everything regularily. Even then they still kept coming. My third apt was 15 pyung, a studio apt. It was nice actually. But my newest apt is 25 pyung and pretty clean and new. Mind, I had to lay down the key money for it, and pay the rent myself, but well worth it. It's 'cozy'.
Blue Flower

Location: The realisation that I only have to endure two more weeks in this filthy, perverted, nasty place!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FierceInvalid wrote:
Small. Don't have any conception of pyong, but 3 sounds like an overstatement right now.

ditto. I still remember when i saw it for thr first time. To say i was shocked was an understatement. My entire apartment is about twice the size of my bedroom back home.
orpheusdown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

41 pyoung, university sponsored V.A.P.'s family apartment.

I live with my wife and dog. The dog takes up a lot of the space and my wife's mirrors take up the rest.

orpheus down - "And we sit up; And look out at the sky; The year as we wished flew bye; Can I touch you, can I touch you?"(My Bloody Valentine)
weatherman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I undertand what RR is saying. The apartments Koreans force us to live in suck in comparison to what a Korean citizen would live in with a similar job and educational backround. That is the fact. I am sure some have good housing, but most of us don't. (And I don't call living sequestered away from society, by living a university dorm, good housing.)
bap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my apartment (which i share with my boyfriend) was also a shock to see.
we thought we were going to get a two bedroom (two rooms and a kitchen) but we were wrong.
when our director first showed us our apartment we were kind of stunned at how small it was. but i guess there was some sort of miscommunication before we arrived because our boss saw our confusion and said "nice western apartment... nice two room western apartment yes?" so i guess what we thought would be two bedrooms was a kitchen and a room to our director.
i don't know the exact size but it's a little cramped for two people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: