Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking to get in shape?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demonicat

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Looking to get in shape? Reply with quote

Hey, This is kinda an advertisment- but its for something completly free- I just want to build my membership numbers. Anyway, on www.blueyoyo.com check out the new fitness club, I've put books, articles, and videos on there for boys and girls; armchair atheletes, bodybuilders, and martial artists; and just plain everyday people. Come check it out! Again it is free, I'm just trying to become a first page club (stupid pride).

Mods: If this is going over the boundries, please feel free to delete.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rock

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to get in shape, but in a different way from before. I want to start sprinting, or doing sprints. My sister does them. What benefits do sprints have compared to jogging?

I'm getting tired of jogging. It doesn't get my heart going, is hard on the hip joints and knees. I don't feel that 'runner's hight' either. Do you think sprints are a good way to keep in shape, or better than jogging?

Besides, I saw this foreign guy jogging the other day-sounded like a European or something- and man, I could smell 'em for fifty yards! Guy had some kind of bo disorder. I wondered what the Koreans thought about that, summer coming on and all, how this guy copes. I just want to get my workouts over and done with.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting question. I don;t know about the BO issues (though I hear Kimchi stops BO Cool ), but I do know about sprinting.
Your best bet is probably intreval (sp?) training. Basically sprint for a minute, jog (or walk if you need to) for 2. Repeat this cycle maybe 10-15 times (30-45 minutes) and you're done. Do this for a few months and gradually build to sprinting for 2, jogging/running for 1. You'll get tight in no time!
Also, if you really want to get in shape, don;t gorget a nice multivitamin- they're available in pharmacies here or at www.bodybuilding.com The diet that most of us teachers live by is lacking in more than a few minerals and nutrients, which can hinder or even halt all progress.
Now, that that's covered, to deal with the smelly western dude, remember this phase, (sorry, quebecois its been a while), "pardon monsieur, tu necesare une douche sil vous plait".
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rock

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last question. What's the name of some relatively decent multi-vitamins here, since I know that imported vitamins are way more expensive? Or are these you mentioned just Korean? How much should you pay for a good batch?

I'll check out that website later though, since I'm out of time now.

That BO guy? Man, he smelled worse than those farm dogs, and I wonder what Koreans must think of us Westerners. They probably didn't know this guy had some kind of disorder. Or didn't he?
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, one brand of Korean Multis is called Atomix (or atom-x, or something like that), my pharm sold them for 45 (if I recall correctly). At the site you can pick up some cheap multis and even with shipping still come out ahead- worth a look.
desultude

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some yoga videos advertised that focus on the neck and shoulders- if you have something like that, you would be my hero!

The others are great. I have the Pilates for Dummies, and its really good.

Thanks for the site. I'll be downloading from there.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries, yoga focusing on the neck and traps...that'll be tough but I'll see what I can do. You'll probably have it for DL by monday (if all goes well)
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multivitamims- http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/multi.html
Wangja

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get into shape?

I am already in shape.

Round is a shape, isn't it? Wink
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wangja- I thought only my dad would make jokes like that. . . Shocked
Wangja

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
Wangja- I thought only my dad would make jokes like that. . . Shocked

I know, I know, Dads have no shame, do they? Embarassed
Rock

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked out a mv at the pharmacy here called 'Pharm-vita.' It only goes for 20,000. A good brand and deal?
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

possibly, who knows? Just make sure with Korean vitamins that
a) its not pure sugar
b) its not a laxative (seriously)
Greekfreak

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're called 'wind sprints' I believe, and believe me they're all you need to carve out your hamstrings and gluts.

If you can find a 400m track, try sprinting for 80-100m on the straightaways, then walk or VERY lightly jog until the next straightaway. Repeat until you drop of sheer exhaustion. My personal best, I don't remember, but at my peak, I guess I could do about 20 sprints before calling it quits.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, desult-> I couldn;t find anything specifically for traps and neck...but I did upload some new yoga routines. One focuses on the abs, and the other is power yoga. I have 2 more coming, one will focus on the upper body and the other on total body conditioning. Hope they help.
Also, for other parties-> Pumping Iron will go up tonight or tomarow.

ASK AND YE SHALL RECIEVE...maybe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: