Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oliver Stone Kills The Innocent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dulouz

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Oliver Stone Kills The Innocent Reply with quote

What kind of message does he send when he gets a DUI behind the wheel of his Mecedes? Millions of impressionable people look to him for guidence and they see DUI=OK. How will Stone make up for the thousands of destroyed lives?

Quote:
Oliver Stone Arrested on Drug, DUI Charges
Saturday, May 28, 2005

PHOTOS

Click image to enlarge

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. — Oscar-winning director Oliver Stone (search) was arrested for investigation of drug possession and driving while intoxicated, police said Saturday.

Stone, 58, was arrested Friday night at a police checkpoint on Sunset Boulevard after showing signs of alcohol intoxication, police Sgt. John Edmundson said.

A search of his Mercedes turned up drugs, Edmundson said. He did not specify what kind.

Stone was released Saturday morning after posting $15,000 bail.

A message left Saturday with Stone's agent David Styne was not immediately returned.

In 1999, the filmmaker pleaded guilty to drug possession and no contest to driving under the influence and was ordered into a rehabilitation program.

Stone's films include the recent "Alexander," "JFK" (1991) and "Natural Born Killers" (1994). He won Academy Awards (search) for directing in 1989 for "Born on the Fourth of July (search)" and in 1986 for "Platoon," which also won the Oscar for best picture. He lives in Los Angeles

Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Your argument here, not the article itself, ranks high on the list of silliest crap I've ever seen on this forum.

Keep up the good work.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm trying to figure out is how Dulouz can justify punishing anyone for any crime.

Quote:
Millions of impressionable people look to him for guidence and they see DUI=OK. How will Stone make up for the thousands of destroyed lives?

By this logic, people aren't responsible for their criminal actions, because of course they're all just blindly following the lead of famous celebrities.

But hey, Dulouz. Why stop with exonerating future DUIs? Why not exonerate Stone himself? Maybe his drunk driving was inspired by some other celebrity. Ever thought of that?
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the guy a break. Do you know how hard it is to drive when you're drunk? It's hard. He deserves credit for not hitting anyone or anything.

Alcoholism is a disease. If someone goes to work with a cold, he's a hero; drunk and he gets fired. Cut Stone some slack.

Rolling Eyes
mateomiguel

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gypsyfish wrote:
Alcoholism is a disease.

talk about exoneration, now I don't even have to be responsible for how much I drink. Its just a disease after all.
The Bobster

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver Stone Kills The Innocent Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
What kind of message does he send when he gets a DUI behind the wheel of his Mecedes? Millions of impressionable people look to him for guidence and they see DUI=OK.

Mrs. Bush ran stop sign in fatal crash

I have no idea if the future First Lady was drinking that night. Oliver Stone did not harm anyone, however. And there is no indication that he objects in any way to charges being filed against him.
Hank Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver Stone Kills The Innocent Reply with quote

The Bobster wrote:

Mr. Kennedy let a woman drown in the car he drove into a creek, then went into hiding for 12 hours to sober up.

I'll give you this one, your side takes the vehicular mischief title hands down.
dogbert

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver Stone Kills The Innocent Reply with quote

Hank Scorpio wrote:
The Bobster wrote:

Mr. Kennedy let a woman drown in the car he drove into a creek, then went into hiding for 12 hours to sober up.

I'll give you this one, your side takes the vehicular mischief title hands down.

How well do potheads drive? Do you think it sharpens their senses?
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver Stone Kills The Innocent Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
What kind of message does he send when he gets a DUI behind the wheel of his Mecedes? Millions of impressionable people look to him for guidence and they see DUI=OK. How will Stone make up for the thousands of destroyed lives?

You make God cry.
Jake E. Lee

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't we have a prize or at least some sort of recognition for posts like Dulouz' that makes you laugh. I'm assuming his post was meant as a joke. A very funny joke. If not...oy vey. Rolling Eyes
dulouz

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oliver Stone = virtue. He enlightens everyone and he's always got something anti-establishment to say. Even when its dumb. I hope the handcuffs don't hurt mr. virtue.

Quote:
This caution is particularly relevant with Stone. In the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, he revealed a rather disturbing worldview. While most Americans were appalled by the attacks, Oliver Stone apologized for the terrorists by blaming large U.S. media companies.

At an HBO Films panel on "Making Movies That Matter," Oliver Stone opined that huge corporations that make mediocre movies are part of what made Osama bin Laden plan the Sept. 11 attack. "They control culture," he said of the corporations, in comments quoted in the New Yorker. "They control ideas. And I think the revolt of Sept. 11th was about 'F-- you! F-- your order.' "
The outrage of fellow panelist Christopher Hitchens is often directed at corporations, too, but he had a different view this time. "Excuse me?" he said.

"Revolt? It was state-sponsored mass murder, using civilians as missiles." Hitchens said later he thought Stone was "a moral idiot as well as an intellectual idiot." Stone said later, "This attack was pure chaos, and chaos is energy." (Source: Leah Garchik, "The Stars Weigh In," San Francisco Chronicle, October 16, 2001.)

Stone influences millions of people as his work. That his job. This episode of DUI=OK will kill people since they will argue "Everyone is doing it" because they think the cool people are.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

well that last post assured me you're a troll. That's a relief.
Jake E. Lee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep 'em coming Dulouz. I have another hour to kill and your posts are keeping me in stitches.
Oliver Stone = Mr. Virtue????????????????????? Laughing
Why do you insist on putting him on a pedestal?
He is a person with flaws just like you and me.
Was JFK really that good of a movie to convert you into a "Stoner"?
The Bobster

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
This episode of DUI=OK will kill people since they will argue "Everyone is doing it" because they think the cool people are.

His most recent movie was panned. (I haven't seen it, so I don't know if it deserved to be.)

In any case, he is not one of the "cool people" these days. It was pretty silly of you to try to say so.
Apple Scruff

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Laughing

well that last post assured me you're a troll. That's a relief.

You're not a troll when you truly believe what you're saying. He's just an idiot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: