Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard looks!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Hard looks! Reply with quote

I just want to know, what are with all the hard looks?
Everytime I pass a Korean Guy, their chins are in the air. Some even imply, "I'm the best!" I humbly reply, "Kiss my ass!"
Am I wrong, or they?
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread needs less homophobia.
tomwaits

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont take it personally. A lot of them have tough lives. They live with the folks -can't find a wife or maybe a job....Cut em some slack.
captain kirk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get used to it in some way you can afford. the korean guys who pose, hands on hips, tracking you with a 'hard look'...give'm a wide berth and don't waste your energy. it's kind of funny. they do pose, don't they. taekwondo and standing rigid, ready for anything at the sight of the stranger in town/nation. i once asked the korean teacher at work about this kind of thing ('what's with the hard looks, etc. ') and she said that the appearance of a foreigner demands comment. it can't go unremarked. appearance as in 'there you are, 'foreign''. it's other things too. postive 'hails'. choose your poison. ignore the hard looks and accept the kindness.
it still freaks me that information on the board recently that until the late eighties koreans weren't allowed out of korea (unless it was strictly business).
face it, you're a FREAK. you demand comment!
ThreeDogNight

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was a little rude in what I said. I find it intimidating though, when I walk down the street and feel this rigidity, of sorts, whenever I pass a Korean man. I guess I've been told before that it's part of their upbringing, a product of the military. Often times I act just as rigid in defense, head held high, a level gaze, and what happens? They drop their chin!
So I guess they know it's a form of body language. The thing I hate is the little hiss you here sometimes, or the sucking sound some make with their mouths. Is this antagonizing behaviour, or just an unconcious instinct?
The Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Cube on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube wrote:
I hate to answer this, but it's antagonizing. You're not being paranoid.

The hissing sound is actually the start of a Korean profanity.
The word is "shee-bbal" or "sheep-sae-ggi" which means "*other*ucker" in English. The sucking sound is another clear sound of contempt.

My favorite is when they see me and immediately spit on the ground. Almost like a reflex reaction.

I don't let it get to me. I'm rude in public here. Back home, mutual politeness puts a good feeling in you. Here, mutual rudeness helps you get the negative energy out. Either way suits me fine. You'd be surprised how good it feels to butt in front of a Korean.

Is it too much to ask that you not make up stories and post them just so you can be part of a thread?
Ody

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my husband (korean) just joined us here after living in ny/nj for 12 years. he grew up in the e-dae, hongdae, sincheon area where our family still reside. my husband is cool, he doesn't fit these horrid descriptions of korean men i always see posted here by foreigners. any who, he and his chum from university days were hanging out in hongdae last weekend and as usual, they had a good time together. the next morning he mentioned how changed foreigners are from what he remembers, that they are far less friendly than they used to be (they were in Route66). i promptly advised him to steer clear of foreigners, that they'll just assume he's some joe with bad english who wants to practice on them, and thus give a cold shoulder. i learned that from you folks. too bad isn't it?

slightly off topic but related, in the 11 years we were together stateside, i observed far worse treatment toward my husband than i have ever been party to here. i am referring to the indignant behavior of children, learned from their racist parents in both countries, behavior that is more offensive (if not more hurtful) in my country (USA) than what i've experienced in his. you guys should "wear the other shoe" sometimes. it can put things into perspective.

Last edited by Ody on Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all reminds me of the phobia and racism I've witnessed in the west as well. Its a worldwide phenomenon.
Talking of korean men in particular, I reckon they're mostly pretty miserable...I mean how happy can you be if you have an organised marriage, your wife longs for her high school sweetheart, your ego's as big as the sun, (and you constantly try to live up to it),You're expected to be some macho superhero businessman, you work 25 hours a day, and you've never been out of Korea?
cubase

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i promptly advised him to steer clear of foreigners, that they'll just assume he's some joe with bad english who wants to practice on them, and thus give a cold shoulder. i learned that from you folks. too bad isn't it?

It is too bad. We have a group of people here who have convinced each other that Koreans must pay 50,000w an hour for the privilege of having a conversation with them.
Butterfly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hard looks! Reply with quote

ThreeDogNight wrote:
I just want to know, what are with all the hard looks?
Everytime I pass a Korean Guy, their chins are in the air. Some even imply, "I'm the best!" I humbly reply, "Kiss my ass!"
Am I wrong, or they?

Seldom happens to me, occasionally with some short-**** fool in his early twenties, I just think of what a **** I was when I was his age, I'm 33 now. Who is wrong? Maybe you both are.. You're carrying yourself with a 'kiss my ass' stance and so are they (surely 'humble' and 'kiss my ass' in the same sentence with the same subject is an oxymoron). I put it all down to testosterone, immaturity and insecurity.
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cube wrote:
My favorite is when they see me and immediately spit on the ground. Almost like a reflex reaction.

LOL! They see a dog, they spit. They see a tree they spit. They see a car they spit.
Ody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:
It all reminds me of the phobia and racism I've witnessed in the west as well. Its a worldwide phenomenon.
Talking of korean men in particular, I reckon they're mostly pretty miserable...I mean how happy can you be if you have an organised marriage, your wife longs for her high school sweetheart, your ego's as big as the sun, (and you constantly try to live up to it),You're expected to be some macho superhero businessman, you work 25 hours a day, and you've never been out of Korea?

don't you think that people are miserable worldwide? isn't there a myriad of reasons why this is so? ' don't know about your experience, but as i see it, the married folk trying to maintain the status quota back home, where i come from, are fighting a loosing battle. there is something derogatory in what you say about korean men, something that overlooks the Universality of Misery or trivializes it.
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh depressed again about the misery worldwide statement. lol can't disagree though. Glad i got a refill on my meds today.
Alias

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something we have to all remember. Yes, there is a lot of racism here in Korea (which is totally unacceptable) BUT there is a lot of racism back home. Try talking to a visibile minority living in rural Canada. You don't think they haven't had some bad experiences with rednecks?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: