Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Like him or hate him, Galloway's always interesting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Like him or hate him, Galloway's always interesting. Reply with quote

With apologies to my two favorite dislikers of Galloway, wangja and hypnotist...

R.S.R. note: Galloways testimony was on the subcomittee's website for a day, but now has been tossed down the memory hole. See their weenie explanation here: http://hsgac.senate.gov/index.cfm?Fuseaction=Hearings.Detail&HearingID=232

And then there's very clear evidence of systematic torture. There's the desecration of the Koran which may or may not have happened, depending on which edition of Newsweek you are prepared to believe. This is a big scar on the face of the United States. And it seems to me that too few citizens of the United States have fastened on to the fact that the protestations by your president and your government of being interested in human rights and democracy and freedom are quite negated by the very existence of Guantanamo Bay.

Interview with British MP George Galloway
Interview by Thom Hartmann

Read it here. . .

http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0528-27.htm

Or listen to the MP3 audio here . . .

http://www.thomhartmann.com/galloway.mp3
Wangja

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Panel 2
George Galloway , Member of Parliament for Bethnal Green and Bow , Great Britain
Mr Galloway did not submit a written statement

?????

As you say RSR, like 'im or loathe 'im, he did pose some intriguing questions, questions that I hope are re-posed by A. N. Other, perhaps closer to the source. There do seem to be a few more fissures developing, so I am optimistic.

And in any event, only 1,330 days to go.
Big_Bird

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly liked this analogy:

Galloway wrote:
And that's what I think this Patriot Act is all about. It's about fooling the American people into believing that if you just arm the state with enough fly swats you'll be able to whack away all the beasts that are coming your way. But the truth is, these mosquitoes are coming out of a swamp; a very real swamp of grievance, of bitterness and hatred at our injustice and at the policies that we are following. And unless we drain that swamp by reversing the policies of injustice that have germinated this threat then it doesn't matter how many Patriot Acts you pass, it doesn't matter how many fly swats you hand out, how many mosquito nets you wrap yourself in, you're not going to be able to stop them hurting us again.

It's crazy to think that you can fight terrorism with force. You have to deal with the underlying political cause if you want to stop it. But I'm pretty sure the Bush administration are smart enough to know that.
R. S. Refugee

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big_Bird wrote:

It's crazy to think that you can fight terrorism with force. You have to deal with the underlying political cause if you want to stop it. But I'm pretty sure the Bush administration are smart enough to know that.

Of course they are smart enough to know that, though the simian-in-chief himself may be oblivious, after all they didn't even bother to interrupt his bike ride to tell him that the White House was under "red alert" last week and that his wife had been evacuated until it was all over.

They don't want it to end. It's the best thing that's ever happened to them. It provides the greatest opportunity to transfer more and more wealth from the middle and working classes to the wealthy elite and it also provides the opportunity to transfer even more power from the people to the political leadership core as we keep careening toward fascism. (Yes, wannago, I know.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: