Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FIFA Stands for....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swiss James

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's at times like this that I wish I had a sock so I could make a troll post saying:

"Why don't you limeys divide soccer matchups into quarters like real football anyway? And would it kill you to have a few cheerleaders?"
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaganath69 wrote:
Yaya wrote:
trigger123 wrote:
Konundrum wrote:

Shootouts in soccer are necessary due to the nature of the game.

thankyou and goodnight

Geez, I guess if basketball was invented in Europe, we'd still see peach baskets, no dribbling and the like all for the sake of preserving the essence, bla bla bla.

Wonder why Euros can't go the distance like the N. Americans.

Just because your sports are targetted at fans with the attention spans of kiddies with ADD, doesn't mean we all want it that way. You keep what's yours, we`ll keep what's ours and by that I mean true world sports like rugby and cricket as well. Wink

The fact that you consider the sissy-pastime cricket a real sport kills your argument. Plus, Europeans apparently aren't sports fans, they are soccer fans. I guess it's like someone who eats only bread every day saying bread is the best food.
trigger123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaganath69 wrote:
Yaya wrote:
trigger123 wrote:
Konundrum wrote:

thankyou and goodnight

Geez, I guess if basketball was invented in Europe, we'd still see peach baskets, no dribbling and the like all for the sake of preserving the essence, bla bla bla.

Just because your sports are targetted at fans with the attention spans of kiddies with ADD, doesn't mean we all want it that way. You keep what's yours, we`ll keep what's ours and by that I mean true world sports like rugby and cricket as well. Wink

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!
Laughing
jaganath69

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
jaganath69 wrote:
Yaya wrote:
trigger123 wrote:
Konundrum wrote:

thankyou and goodnight

The fact that you consider the sissy-pastime cricket a real sport kills your argument. Plus, Europeans apparently aren't sports fans, they are soccer fans. I guess it's like someone who eats only bread every day saying bread is the best food.

Slag cricket all you want c*ckstain, but can you claim such a successful sport eminating from NA? I might conceed basketball in terms of participation, but nobody really gives a toss about it at international level. Even better, stand at the end of a pitch and have a 100 mile per hour thunderbolt come crashing towards your head from 22 yards and when they pick up your drooling, incoherent self, we'll ask you about sissies. Like most ignorami you don't get it coz you don't understand it. Bloody amazing how many tw4ts like you make it out of the trailer park to the wider world but still don't get it that your sorry little existance is just a pee-pee stain in the sahara.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the fact that most other countries don't understand cricket, chess on grass etc.
poddubny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaganath69 wrote:
Yaya wrote:
jaganath69 wrote:
Yaya wrote:
trigger123 wrote:
Konundrum wrote:

thankyou and goodnight

Slag cricket all you want c*ckstain, but can you claim such a successful sport eminating from NA? I might conceed basketball in terms of participation, but nobody really gives a toss about it at international level. Even better, stand at the end of a pitch and have a 100 mile per hour thunderbolt come crashing towards your head from 22 yards and when they pick up your drooling, incoherent self, we'll ask you about sissies. Like most ignorami you don't get it coz you don't understand it. Bloody amazing how many tw4ts like you make it out of the trailer park to the wider world but still don't get it that your sorry little existance is just a pee-pee stain in the sahara.

haha you dummy. hockey and basketball aren't sports with international followings? what's the most watched sporting event in the world? why, the super bowl of course!

cricket is a tougher sport than hockey or american football? i think not.

c'mon, do you really mean to tell me that this guy:

is tougher than these guys:

?
kprrok

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poddubny wrote:
haha you dummy. hockey and basketball aren't sports with international followings? what's the most watched sporting event in the world? why, the super bowl of course!

Sorry to have to shatter your little delusional dream here, but the Super Bowl is not the most-watched sporting event in the world. Only Americans think that. It's a toss-up as to whether or not the Olympics or the World Cup Finals are truly the largest, but to give a little statistical look...

2002 World Cup Finals: total viewers...49.2 billion worldwide / 64 games = average 768 million per match. That dwarfs the 300 million or so worldwide audience for the Super Bowl.

Get a grip on reality and stop claiming that American sports are actually liked outisde of America.

KPRROK
jaganath69

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is more, the superbowl is just a one off that most people watch for the pomp and the halftime show. I actually like American football, but don't think for a minute that anyone in China, India, South Africa or anywhere else you might care to point your finger on the globe really gives a hoot about it. Infact, after the Football world cup, the Rugby world cup is the biggest single sporting event.

And as for comparing cricketers to Gridiron players, its apples and oranges, like comparing baseball and hockey. I could go on about the rampant steriod abuse and wearing of padding in Gridiron and how it pales into insignificance when put alongside Rugby, but I won't. As for Basketball being and international sport, you have a point, but its often the minortiy sport in other countries. Great game, but then again it doesn't rate a blip internationally compared to sports eminating from Europe.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poddubny wrote:
what's the most watched sporting event in the world? why, the super bowl of course!

eamo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I read once that golf, fishing and cycling are the biggest participation sports in the world.

Which sport has the most armchair fans? It must be (not American) football.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread went south fast.

The truth is I hate pro soccer, but my original posts stayed on topic. Now that's it's become a slagfest, however, I'll weigh in again.

How can a sport where the fans are tougher than the players be so popular? Everytime I see a soccer player rolling around like he's been kicked in the sack (which he can't possibly have happened because he's an emasculated wienie) I want to yell "get up you fucking baby and stop acting like a five year old crying for attention!" When I played soccer and was upended from time to time I rolled out of it and kept playing.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's popular because it's fast, skillful, exciting, unpredictable, tribal, creative, athletic etc. etc.

If you come from a background where being the best team means being the most physically tough then obviously you're going to find football a bit lacking.
The idea of the sport is not to try and get the ball from one end to the other by bulldozing the opponents out of the way- it's about a deft first touch, dropping your shoulder and fooling the opposing player, creating space with accurate passing, outguessing your opponent.

Tackles used to be a lot more vicious back in the day, (in fact you can still get away with a lot more in the Premiership than internationals) but I think it's better that the answer to a midfielder who can dribble the ball like a magician is NOT to get your biggest defender to jump on him with both feet. If that means that you err on the side of caution too much and the players act up a bit, then that's fine with me.

Oh and yeah, amateur football can be properly vicious- I played in a league in the UK where the police were called a few times, fist fights on the pitch, my brother lost a tooth, the lot.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
The idea of the sport is not to try and get the ball from one end to the other by bulldozing the opponents out of the way- it's about a deft first touch, dropping your shoulder and fooling the opposing player, creating space with accurate passing, outguessing your opponent.

Subsitute 'ball' for 'puck' and you've just described hockey.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I'd enjoy hockey if I could see where the puck was for more than 10% of the time
the_beaver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss James wrote:
and I'd enjoy hockey if I could see where the puck was for more than 10% of the time

Don't watch the puck. Watch the players -- that's how you know where the puck is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: