Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

axis and allies
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endofthewor1d

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cthulhu wrote:
The giant board sounds quite interesting.

There are alternate rules for Axis and Allies out there on the Web designed to even things up for the Axis. The simplest (and official) ones are:

-Weapons Development Benefits: The German player starts with
Jet Power, and the Japan player starts with Super Subs.
-Restricted Attack: The USSR player is not allowed to attack
until the second turn.
-No New Complexes: No new industrial complexes can be bought
or placed. Only original complexes can be used.

I've found restricted attack is the most balanced one.

Regarding the computer game--it's useless. The computer can't plan effective strategy and makes too many obvious mistakes. Even with victory conditions and dificulty level heavily tilted against me the computer was inept and couldn't win. A lousy product.

i find that if germany takes out the british navy, and both germany and japan throw everything they've got at russia, it evens the odds a bit.

i don't see how restricting new factories would help the axis powers at all. the only time i ever build a new factory (and even then it's rare) is when i'm playing japan. after i get a strong foothold on east asia, sometimes i like to put a factory in manchuria.
the allies already have factories all over the board. where would they build one? the only one with that kind of money to blow would be the u.s., but the only place they could really put it where it would do any good at all would be china, and that seems pretty vulnerable to japanese takeover.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting pretty good at Battleships, so I'd hang out to nerd it up with some Axis and Allies. I played it like once or twice.

You're going down, endofthewor1d!
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endofthewor1d wrote:

i find that if germany takes out the british navy, and both germany and japan throw everything they've got at russia, it evens the odds a bit.

i don't see how restricting new factories would help the axis powers at all. the only time i ever build a new factory (and even then it's rare) is when i'm playing japan. after i get a strong foothold on east asia, sometimes i like to put a factory in manchuria.
the allies already have factories all over the board. where would they build one? the only one with that kind of money to blow would be the u.s., but the only place they could really put it where it would do any good at all would be china, and that seems pretty vulnerable to japanese takeover.

The no new factory one goes both ways, I think. Not having a factory in Manchuria is a pain but the Japanese can still carry troops from Japan. Depending on how things turn out for the Japanese on turn one (and whether the British fleet is out of commission) a factory in India for the British is often possible and sometimes a necessity to slow the Japanese breakout towards Russia.
steroidmaximus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with kprrok. . .with decent players, the axis actually end up winning more games, without the extra benefits
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: axis and allies Reply with quote

endofthewor1d wrote:

when i'm finished with the map, i'll need to make game pieces. i figure i could use plastic army men for the infantry. that should be easy enough to get. but what about all of the other stuff? industrial complexes shouldn't be all that challenging. but what about armors, bombers, fighters, battleships, submarines, transports, carriers, and anti-aircraft guns? does anyone have any ideas? thanks for sharing!

The workings of the minds of men... always a little foreign to me. Sounds like little boys. Very adorable. Carry on, then...
Wink
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steroidmaximus wrote:
I'm with kprrok. . .with decent players, the axis actually end up winning more games, without the extra benefits

I dunno. With a decent early strategy and reasonable dice rolls Allied players should outproduce the Axis by the mid game--I think an Axis player can jump on Allied mistakes and finish it relatively quickly but I wouldn't lay odds on Axis victories if both players are of a similar calibre and time marches on.

Now, miscommunication between Allied players can lead to another thing altogether...
Jeju Rocks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my thoughts on A&A
All that the allies really need to do is to have the USA forget about the Pacific and send what navy is left after Japan's first turn, (usually a Pearl Harbor)to the Atlantic. Build an aircraft carrier, load it with fighters. If the Germans want to wipe out the US fleet they are going to pay for it at the expense of their airforce which really cannot be replaced.
England tries to elimate as much of the Germany navy in the first round and then keeps sending fighters over to protect Russia from the Japanese. Russia keeps building troops and plays it safe for the whole game. A major yawn if you are Russia in a 5 player game.
Meanwhile, the Brits and the Yanks keep hammering away at Germany.
After a round or two the Germans will have to either go into a defensive shell and hope the Japanese can come to their rescue, or risk everything and attack Russia. Usually the first choice is the best. Germany is a bit of a waiting game. Slowly building, holding off the Western allies and then striking Russia, maybe with a one-two punch with Japan.
Japan must build factories in Asia and aim towards Russia. They must be strong enough to crush the Russians who should be well dug in to protect Moscow. If the first attack fails, they risk leaving Asia wide open, thus eliminating the pressure on Russia. Once the pressure is off the Russians, it is pretty much game over for the Axis.
Attacking North America is a waste of time and money. Japan cannot take the USA. They just cannot send over enough to deal with the industrial complexes in the USA.
I don't play this game as much as I used to, but I do enjoy it now and then. I have looked at the latest version of the game and it does look to be a much better game.
If I had the time maybe I would buy it. I would rather get back into playing Squad Leader. It deals more with the tactics of WW2 than the strategy. It is much more complex than A&A and has a high learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is a great game.
Anyway, if the OP ever completes his map, I would like to see it, maybe you could post some pictures here. Good luck with the minis.
Well, I must go camping now.
Keep rolling those ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: