Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ben Stein on Mark Felt
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sundubuman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Ben Stein on Mark Felt Reply with quote

Deep Throat and Genocide
By Ben Stein
Published 6/1/2005 12:22:42 AM

Re: The "news" that former FBI agent Mark Felt broke the law, broke his code of ethics, broke his oath and was the main source for Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward's articles that helped depose Richard Nixon, a few thoughts.

Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible? He ended the war in Vietnam, brought home the POW's, ended the war in the Mideast, opened relations with China, started the first nuclear weapons reduction treaty, saved Eretz Israel's life, started the Environmental Protection Administration. Does anyone remember what he did that was bad?

Oh, now I remember. He lied. He was a politician who lied. How remarkable. He lied to protect his subordinates who were covering up a ridiculous burglary that no one to this date has any clue about its purpose. He lied so he could stay in office and keep his agenda of peace going. That was his crime. He was a peacemaker and he wanted to make a world where there was a generation of peace. And he succeeded.

That is his legacy. He was a peacemaker. He was a lying, conniving, covering up peacemaker. He was not a lying, conniving drug addict like JFK, a lying, conniving war starter like LBJ, a lying, conniving seducer like Clinton -- a lying, conniving peacemaker. That is Nixon's kharma.

When his enemies brought him down, and they had been laying for him since he proved that Alger Hiss was a traitor, since Alger Hiss was their fair-haired boy, this is what they bought for themselves in the Kharma Supermarket that is life:

1.) The defeat of the South Vietnamese government with decades of death and hardship for the people of Vietnam.

2.) The assumption of power in Cambodia by the bloodiest government of all time, the Khmer Rouge, who killed a third of their own people, often by making children beat their own parents to death. No one doubts RN would never have let this happen.

So, this is the great boast of the enemies of Richard Nixon, including Mark Felt: they made the conditions necessary for the Cambodian genocide. If there is such a thing as kharma, if there is such a thing as justice in this life of the next, Mark Felt has bought himself the worst future of any man on this earth. And Bob Woodward is right behind him, with Ben Bradlee bringing up the rear. Out of their smug arrogance and contempt, they hatched the worst nightmare imaginable: genocide. I hope they are happy now -- because their future looks pretty bleak to me.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historical revisionism aside, Nixon was the devil incarnate.
sundubuman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm....whatever.

You prove my general take on the left/right divide...

The left thinks the right is evil

The right thinks the left is stupid.

What do you think is more likely??? a group of people being EVIL (devil incarnate) or a group of people being stupid.

My bet is on the latter.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible?

I can.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sundubuman wrote:

What do you think is more likely??? a group of people being EVIL (devil incarnate) or a group of people being stupid.

A group of evil people leading stupid ones around by their noses?
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stein began his career as a lawyer and speechwriter for Nixon. While I generally like the guy he's a little too close to the source material to be anything but highly biased here. Stein can say what he wants about Felt; damning Bob Woodward for breaking the news that Nixon was involved in a coverup is moronic. And that's not even including Nixon tampering with the subsequent investigation.

The fact that Nixon was on his way to being impeached by the Judiciary Committee, the House of Reps and probably the Senate as well should be more than enough to counter Stein's revisionisism. Ford's speedy pardon saved Nixon's ass.

Since you brought up the article Sundubman, what's your view of Nixon and his actions?
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I thought Ben Stein was pretty smart, but...

Quote:
The defeat of the South Vietnamese government with decades of death and hardship for the people of Vietnam.
[khmer]No one doubts RN would never have let this happen.

woulda coulda shoulda.
Is there really any more validity to the hypothesis that these events wouldn't have occured if RN remained Pres than the hypothesis that these events would have played out roughly the same regardless of who was Pres of the US at the time? If JFK had never been shot, then Nixon would have never been Pres and put into a position of covering up a crime, and the khmer... woulda, shoulda, coulda- a fun game, and Ben can keep his money now that Jimmy has his own show.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ones whining about Deep Throat are those who were in the Nixon administration or connected to it in some way.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only ones whining about Deep Throat are those who were in the Nixon administration or connected to it in some way.

Are you calling into question the veracity of those like G. Gordon Liddy and What'shisname Colson who spent time in the pokey when they are asked about the ethics of Mr. Felt?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon stewart poked fun at Liddy's appearance on some news channel the other day. Yeah, Liddy isn't biased or anything. Rolling Eyes
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry haven't really been following the story so much. Other than the "big" revelation.

I was just wondering if anyone else has confirmed he was in fact deep throat? He has always been the logical choice, though there were many others through the years that were suspected as well.

He is one of the least embarrassing choices for deep throat for the current administration and DC crowd.

But of course that is just the conspiracy theory. Razz
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was just wondering if anyone else has confirmed he was in fact deep throat? He has always been the logical choice, though there were many others through the years that were suspected as well

I think the Washington Post has confirmed that he was Deep Throat.

Oh, and here's my nomination for non-sequitor of the year:

Quote:
He lied to protect his subordinates who were covering up a ridiculous burglary that no one to this date has any clue about its purpose.

"Yes, your honour, my client broke into that house and ransacked the furniture. However, we don't know WHY he did it, because he hasn't told us, so it's really not a big deal, right?"
dulouz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Watergate burglers should have stolen a black n' white TV. That would have been OK.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jon stewart poked fun at Liddy's

Stewart's show is The Daily Show. It comes from the Comedy Central channel. It's well worth a watch if you have access. This week they also poked fun at Rummy for his praising Amnesty International's criticism of human rights abuses around the world and then turning on them when they called Gitmo the 'gulag of our time'. I'll bet politicians just hate videotape and The Daily Show.
Manner of Speaking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:
Can anyone even remember now what Nixon did that was so terrible?

I can.

Me too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: