Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for the Canadians, Toronto: good or bad?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

what do you think of Toronto
I love it! It's the center of the universe.
26%
 26%  [ 14 ]
Great place to visit but I wouldn't like to live there.
23%
 23%  [ 12 ]
The city is nice but not its people in it.
11%
 11%  [ 6 ]
The people are nice but the city isn't anything special.
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Everything about that place just plain old sucks.
13%
 13%  [ 7 ]
Toronto??? Where's that???
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 52

poddubny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommynomad wrote:

Not nearly enough beautiful women for a city that big.

"My family moved to Toronto when I was 12 years old, and I fell in love with the city from the minute I arrived!"
poddubny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Random shootings isolated, police say
Toronto world's safest city: Chief
28 people shot to death in 2004

Jun. 2, 2005. 06:41 AM

Yesterday, 5:45 p.m.: A gunman fires on a crowd of rush-hour commuters outside Yorkdale subway station. Two women are wounded.

April 24, 3:40 a.m.: Livette Miller, a mother of four whose husband died of cancer a year ago, is fatally shot in a North York nightclub. Six others are wounded.

April 10, 4:30 p.m.: A gunman opens fire on Yonge St. near Dundas St. Three people are injured. Two men are charged.

Jan. 26. 8:10 p.m.: Two women are shot a block apart near St. Lawrence Market — one a volunteer with a college Safe Walk program, the other walking with her husband to their car after dining out. No arrests.

Police pass white cups marking bullet shells and blood at the Yorkdale subway station, where two women were shot yesterday.

Random shootings. Innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire.

"We are seeing more random acts of violence and we need to respond to that," Toronto police Chief Bill Blair said in a recent interview. Yet the chief maintains these shootings are isolated incidents and residents should not fear for their safety.

"I am convinced we have the safest city in the world," Blair said.

But when a gunman opens fire in one of the country's best-known intersections on a Sunday afternoon, the public will naturally question the safety of the city, he admitted.

Blair acknowledged several innocent bystanders have been injured in recent months, but cautioned this is not a trend.

"I'm concerned about the public perception of safety," he said. "How do you fight that perception that people can't walk up Yonge St.?"

Blair said more uniformed officers were immediately assigned to patrol that area after the April 10 shooting.

And although two arrests were made within days in that case, Blair said that news "isn't terribly reassuring" to the community.

In 2004, Toronto police responded to 245 confirmed shootings, most stemming from disputes, home invasions, drive-bys and nightclub incidents.

Of those shootings, 28 were fatal and another 153 people survived their injuries. In the other incidents, bullets were fired but no one was struck.

The reality, the chief said, is this: "If you are not involved in gangs, drug activity, prostitution or an abusive relationship, the likelihood of being a ... victim is very low."

Det. Sgt. Gary Keys, in charge of the force's gun and gang task force, said he understands the public's concern, but shootings are not on the rise nor is there a notable increase in the number of "innocent bystanders" falling victim to gunfire.

"Very rarely do we see an innocent bystander shot," Keys said before yesterday's incident.

"There is (usually) some connection between the shooter and the victim. Usually it is around some type of criminal activity, like gang activity or drug involvement."

Other times, he said, shootings are the result of the "gangster ... bravado," but even then there's often a link or conflict between the shooter and victim.

Keys said the January shooting of two women near St. Lawrence Market appears to be truly random. That scenario is rare for Toronto, he said.

"Usually there's some kind of connection," Keys said.

But not always. One victim of random violence was Brenton "Junior" Charlton, 31, who was killed March 4, 2004 while driving home from work with his friend Leonard Bell, 45. Bell survived his injuries.

One man with alleged gang ties is charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder.

Blair has described Charlton and Bell as "totally innocent men."

So, it seems, was Derek Wah Yan, fatally shot in his home Nov. 1, 2003 while putting his young son to bed. A bullet tore through Yan's Sadlee Cove Cres. home in Scarborough and struck the 40-year-old father of two in the chest.

"Mr. Yan was a good man with a great family. This was completely random," said Det. Sgt. Gary Giroux, who has been with the homicide squad for nine years and has investigated more than 50 cases.

Yan was a devoted father who worked as a supervisor in a tool shop. Although the investigation remains active, no arrests have been made. "This was probably a shooting from a passing vehicle," Giroux said."

So far this year, Toronto police have seized 693 guns. Last year, 1,977 guns were seized, slightly less than the 2,236 in 2003.

"There is an increase in the number of people we are arresting who have firearms," Keys said. "Twenty years ago it would be rare to arrest someone with a firearm. Now ... we're getting guns in on a daily basis."

But an increase in street-level enforcement has made buying a gun on the street more difficult and possessing one riskier.

"For the most part, you have to be connected somehow to get an illegal firearm," Keys said.

Street guns, he said, range in price from about $700 to $2,000 depending on size, power and quality.

About 50 to 60 per cent of guns on the street have been smuggled from the United States, Keys estimated. The rest are stolen from lawful gun owners.

According to a study of gun-related arrests over a six-month period, 69 per cent of people carrying guns illegally are men between the ages of 18 and 29.

Keys noted strong links to drug charges and gang-related activity. Occasionally, Toronto police will hold a gun amnesty in an effort to get guns off the street. If someone wants to dispose of a gun, Keys said arrangements can be made by calling police.

haha. i was at the mall at the same time this happened.

toronto. my kinda town.
coolsage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big TO has a lot going for it. Peter Ustinov referred to it as' New York City run by the Swiss.' Personally I find Montreal more vibrant, but as a denizen of the Left Coast, I favor the 'British California' ambience of Vancouver. (I've never heard a Torontonian complain about not being able to get an outdoor table at Starbucks in February.)
Deconstructor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want jobs, go to Toronto.

You wanna party, come to Montreal.
poddubny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google battle:

RESULTS
toronto VS. montreal

toronto 57,200,000 (view)
montreal 34,500,000 (view)
Total Pages Searched: 91,700,000
GoogleBattle winner is toronto

RESULTS
toronto VS. vancouver

toronto 57,200,000 (view)
vancouver 31,600,000 (view)
Total Pages Searched: 88,800,000
GoogleBattle winner is toronto

yup. toronto's the best.
The evil penguin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard Torontos not a bad place.... but it has one major problem......

The place is filled with Canadians.......... Even more there than in Korea.... (although maybe that claim it a slight exaggeration.... surely couldn't be that many left there could there???)
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mom has liked every Canadian she's met so far.

I'll tell her you say 'high!'
JAMZ

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well... im back in the T. Dot now....

no haters here!! Very Happy
Badmojo

Location: I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deconstructor wrote:

Oh, so true.

That city kicks my ass everytime I go to it.

Anything you want anytime you want to do it.
Deconstructor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badmojo wrote:
Deconstructor wrote:

Oh, so true.

That city kicks my ass everytime I go to it.

Anything you want anytime you want to do it.

Lived in Montreal all my life. My ass has become as flat as Saskatchewan.

Hey wait a minute, I just got back from this great jazz bar called Upstairs and got totally smashed, a prelude to the greatest jazz festival in the world that is to begin in 11 days. Legal pot, endless booz. Oh la la. c'est la vie!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Montreal sobriety is a disease!!!!!!!!
poddubny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deconstructor wrote:

you want great: jobs, dining, entertainment, and so on and so forth, come to toronto.

you wanna become a french-speaking, bisexual, purse-carrying, tight clothes wearing ass-pirate, go to montreal.
Deconstructor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poddubny wrote:
you want great: jobs, dining, entertainment, and so on and so forth, come to toronto.

you wanna become a french-speaking, bisexual, purse-carrying, tight clothes wearing ass-pirate, go to montreal.

I suppose it's understandable that you have so many problems with so many different people, especially bisexuals, since you seem to have a brick up your ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: