Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drinking in the minimarts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Drinking in the minimarts? Reply with quote

When I used to live in JeonJu we often used to avoid treks to the bar area and set up camp in the corner stores and minimarts. They either had the table with the mosquito netting outside, or in winter months you could drink, smoke and eat beef jerky to your heart's content in the aisle just pass the detergents.
I am going to be returning to teach in Seoul and I never noticed the similar set up there on previous visits.
Sure, you could make the argument that drinking in a business that caters to that sort of activity makes this unecessary, but some of the most colouful evenings I had involved drinking in the stores and the strangers I met.
Is this just an outside the big smoke activity?
weatherman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Drinking in the minimarts? Reply with quote

Patong Dong wrote:
Is this just an outside the big smoke activity?

I understand what you are talking about. But I really think it is more of your own activity, than place specific. Enjoy....
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do that at the family mart outside the Korea Herald building in Myoung-Dong.
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's nice to know it can be done in Seoul. I'm not saying that I got dressed down and headed to the variety store on a friday, but Saturdays? Hell ya!
Actually they are best when you just wander some different area and want a local experience. You know that the older contingent will continue to glare at you all night, while any young guys at some point would be at your table doing boat races.
sillywilly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Jeonju and I do that ! Does this place drive us to be cheap drunks or what?
Patong Dong

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silli Willy!
It might be JeonJu, you're not a regular at the Full House in Inhudong are you?
mysteriousdeltarays

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the real boonies right. But that is exactly what people do here. I call it "drinking on the street " whole families from children to grandparents. Of everthing in Korea, I have always enjoyed this the most. You get to meet the locals.

No, they do it anymore in Seoul.

The only benifit of living in the boonies. You know everybody. We don't even have Family Marts here. There is a Seven Eleven about three miles away. Mom and Pop stores where the kids know me.

I always let the little kid shop for me, can of tunafish, carton of milk, two bottles of cass, roast chicken from the guy with the truck. Then I play dice games with the kids and the adults on the plastic table with the plastic chairs. The dice always fall down the hole where the umbrella is suppossed to be, The kids go nuts looking for them, The parents force feed me soju and dried squid
Then I hit hillbiily unversity that doesn't even have a library, then I do the kids, Then I do the plastic tables again.

Messed up as it is , there is a certain amount of bonding going on.
cohke666

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy stuff, sounds like a decent idea. Me and my friends usually do a little stooping, go down to Hongdae or Shinchon and stand in front of the marts or hofs or clubs, wherever we want, and meet people that pass by, that's our city version though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gang ah jee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outside minimart is good where i live in seoul. usually we just go the park though, good way to catch up with all the people in the neighbourhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: