Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In Search of Guitar Inspiration..........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction. Foxglove is not from his 1st album But rather his 3 or 4th I'd say.

Great tune, once you get the metronome down. How about his "Dialogue with the Devil?

uberscheisse wrote:
"foxglove" off bruce *beep*'s first record is my fingerpickin' project of the last two years. open C folk workout. lots of fun.

OKAY THE SWEAR FILTER HAS GONE TOO FAR!!!

BRUCE C O C K B U R N

and it's not burnt genitalia i'm talking about, it's just the dude's name. chill.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
baldrick

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will soon start looking up some of these tabs...maybe I could suggest a couple as well,

The intro to Call of Kutulu by Metallica
Broons Bane by Rush

Blackbird is a definite winner, as is More Than Words by Extreme.

Married with Children, Don't Look Back in Anger, Stand By Me, Whatever, Live Forever, Slide Away etc etc by Oasis - great fun!
Also by the same band Half the World Away - sounds great and very easy.

I like these classical suggestions as well, keep em coming.
Eunoia

Location: In a seedy karakoe bar by the banks of the mighty Bosphorus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you're a fingerpicker: Check out John Fahey or Leo Kottke, if you want inspiration. Michael Hedges did some fantastic covers; "Gimme Shelter," "She Drives me Crazy" (yes, THAT one), "Eminence Front", "Lucky Star" (Yes, Madonna), "All Along the Watchtower"... These guys do almost everything in open tunings, though, so if you're looking to take it up a notch, to go to the next level, whatever - this might be for you.

Jimmy Page used a lot of open tunings on III, as well, come to think of it... "Bron Yr-Aur Stomp", "Friends", "That's the Way"...

Drop a line if you want a couple of tips on open tunings.
khyber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out "The Creek Drank the Cradle" (album) by Iron and Wine.
It's really mellow stuff but, i think most of the tunings are straight forward. That album is quite brilliant. He recorded it in his living room and subpop released it TOTALLY as is. It makes for really crappy sound quality, but at the same time, it seems to add and even greater allure to the music (in my opinion)...

if you can find a guy named "Luke Doucet" from to. his music is GREAT. Not too complicated and super fun to play (also does both picking and strumming and writes great songs). He play the geetar in sarah macgloclan's (or however you spell it) band.
you may have to do a bit of searching for that.

Gomez's song "She's Fine" is also fun to play.
jack johnson is generally incredibly easy to play (so long as you have a good grasp of rhythme).

eunoia...do you have websites for these guys? they sound quite good.

There is also a guy that i've heard of, from about 4 different sources (living in exact opposite sides of the american continent) and they swear that the guy is absolutely the best guitar player alive...
bob goodson...rob dobson...
i just can't remember his name right now...
don babson...crap!! this is driving me crazy. I'll get the name and post it up here as i've been told (by all four of my buddies) that this guy is shocking to hear, and even better to see.
stumptown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll sell you my Frank Zappa "Shut and Play Yer Guitar" CD trilogy if you want some real inspiration. Can you play an entire solo of chords?
Harpeau

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great song to play in B flat open tuning is Canadeeio by Nic Jones. Awesome acoustic guitar player. I would also concure about Michael Hedges.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: blackbird Reply with quote

kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Sounds like you know how to finger pick so, "Blackbird" by the Beatles is a winner. Always brings the house down, especially the chicks ... Very Happy

This is true. Words of wisdom. The boy who played blackbird for me is the boy I want to marry. It works great on chicks, especially if you have a decent voice. They will think you're very sweet. Very Happy I think it's worth it to learn, even if it is a little difficult at first.
The Chewbacca Defense

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Thousands of song for you to choose from.

I am a big fan of Tommy Emmanuel. See if can get a hold of his stuff. Great guitar player. Good for inspiration.

AND

Anything by James Taylor (Fire and Rain especially!)
Eunoia

Location: In a seedy karakoe bar by the banks of the mighty Bosphorus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Chick Songs Reply with quote

pollyplummer wrote:
kiwiboy_nz_99 wrote:
Sounds like you know how to finger pick so, "Blackbird" by the Beatles is a winner. Always brings the house down, especially the chicks ... Very Happy

This is true. Words of wisdom. The boy who played blackbird for me is the boy I want to marry. It works great on chicks, especially if you have a decent voice. They will think you're very sweet...

For the "chicks" then, since I've been looking to add more "chick songs" to the repertoire - You're at a party and someone (or two someone's) busts out a guitar. What do YOU want to hear?
pollyplummer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: chick songs Reply with quote

Um, I want to hear "Your Body Is a Wonderland" by John Mayer. Cool
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumptown wrote:
I'll sell you my Frank Zappa "Shut and Play Yer Guitar" CD trilogy if you want some real inspiration. Can you play an entire solo of chords?

Me play some Frank Zappa? I love his music, but take the simplest song he ever wrote and I'd still have trouble playing it.

Have a look here. About.com's "Top 500 Rock and Roll Songs Tabs & Lyrics"
http://classicrock.about.com/library/misc/bltop500i.htm
stumptown

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just joking. Playing Zappa is for the guitar samurai master.
Thanks for the link. Great stuff
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumptown wrote:
I was just joking. Playing Zappa is for the guitar samurai master.
Thanks for the link. Great stuff

I knew that. I was playing along.

Some of my friends are professional musicians/music professors now and I remember being blown away by their performances of Frank Zappa's rock and classical music when we were students. Seeing them play was indeed like watching samurai masters. Zappa really understood that music could be a very visual experience.
stumptown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interview in a guitar magazine with Alice Cooper one time and the interviewer asked him who the greatest guitarist in the world was. He said Frank Zappa. He told a story about a guitar contest with the likes of Eric Clapton, Elvin Bishop, Jimi Hendrix, others I can't remember. He said Zappa came on last and started playing about a minute of each guitarists' style...so well that you could close your eyes and picture them doing it. Then he played his own stuff and blew everyone there away. If you ever get the chance, rent a 2 tape video set called "Baby Snakes." Great live performances as well as some of the trippiest claymation you'll ever see.
Hollywoodaction

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumptown wrote:
I read an interview in a guitar magazine with Alice Cooper one time and the interviewer asked him who the greatest guitarist in the world was. He said Frank Zappa. He told a story about a guitar contest with the likes of Eric Clapton, Elvin Bishop, Jimi Hendrix, others I can't remember. He said Zappa came on last and started playing about a minute of each guitarists' style...so well that you could close your eyes and picture them doing it. Then he played his own stuff and blew everyone there away. If you ever get the chance, rent a 2 tape video set called "Baby Snakes." Great live performances as well as some of the trippiest claymation you'll ever see.

Reminds me of the time my friends entered a heavy metal band contest. The contestants were all high school students, with exception of my friends who were university music students. All the kids played trash metal, except for my friends, who played some Rush and Frank Zappa. They ended up being ranked last...but guess who won the best guitarist, best drummer, and best bassist prizes. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: