Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2006 World Cup Qualifying
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alias

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: 2006 World Cup Qualifying Reply with quote

Its getting down to crunch time in World Cup qualifying. How's your country doing? Canada.....well you don't really have to ask. Laughing

Ukraine looks like its going to make its first World Cup appearance. Good for them. France look like they are going to miss out. Looks good on them.

Unless they totally collapse I expect South Korea to hang on to its spot. They play in Kuwait on Wednesday.

Also on Wednesday, North Korea will host Japan! Hope they have extra security for that game. We've seen how much the Chinese hate Japan (remember last year's Asian Cup). Just imagine the propaganda that has been pumped into the fans in Pyeongyang. It will be interesting to see how this game plays in the media here.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2006 World Cup Qualifying Reply with quote

Alias wrote:
Its getting down to crunch time in World Cup qualifying. How's your country doing? Canada.....well you don't really have to ask. Laughing

Ukraine looks like its going to make its first World Cup appearance. Good for them. France look like they are going to miss out. Looks good on them.

Unless they totally collapse I expect South Korea to hang on to its spot. They play in Kuwait on Wednesday.

Also on Wednesday, North Korea will host Japan! Hope they have extra security for that game. We've seen how much the Chinese hate Japan (remember last year's Asian Cup). Just imagine the propaganda that has been pumped into the fans in Pyeongyang. It will be interesting to see how this game plays in the media here.

think the north Korea game is going to be played in Bangkok because of what happened with the Iran match.

South Korea didn't look good Fri nite against Uzbekistan. They may make it but they won't go far next year.

In CONCAF, the US and Mexico are virtually in 5 points clear of the 3rd place team
Alias

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
think the north Korea game is going to be played in Bangkok because of what happened with the Iran match.

Too bad they didn't pick Seoul to play the game. Then again it probably wouldn't be considered a "neutral site".

Quote:
In CONCAF, the US and Mexico are virtually in 5 points clear of the 3rd place team

I still can't believe that they allow three teams from CONCAF into the World Cup. While poor Australia always has to beat a South American team to get in.
keithinkorea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to the game later. Hopefully the Japanese will knock the crap out of the norks in Thailand Very Happy

Even if it was Argentina playing against the norks I'd support the non nork folks, and I'm a Brit. Thw norksarses are the worse sports in the whole world.

It's great to see England sitting pretty against the opposition in our group. The England vs Poland game will probably be one of the best matches in a long time. A good warmup to next years world cup.

I also hope south Korea get in, it'll be hard but they can do it.
just because

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keithinkorea wrote:
I also hope south Korea get in, it'll be hard but they can do it.

It should be very easy actually...all they need is a point in Kuwait on Wednesday and it should assure them a place

However...at the world cup expect 3 losses out of 3...their finishing up front against inferior teams has been terrible.

hogwanguy1979 wrote:

Yep...Nort Korea virtually can't make it now....anyone wanna bet they pull out of the game in bangkok claiming some bullcrap political excuse.
I hope Japan flog them after the staged debacle of a riot against Iran.
Zed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:

I still can't believe that they allow three teams from CONCAF into the World Cup. While poor Australia always has to beat a South American team to get in.

Sounds fair to me. If Australia can't beat the fifth place team in South America then they don't deserve a spot.
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias wrote:

Well when their move to the Asian Football Confederation comes off they should be in with a decent chance of getting an automatic qualifying spot starting from the 2010 competition...
Alias

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well when their move to the Asian Football Confederation comes off they should be in with a decent chance of getting an automatic qualifying spot starting from the 2010 competition...

Thanks. I forgot about that. They still might be able to qualify this year. Best of luck to them.
Greekfreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stayed up late to watch the Greece/Turkey game on an italian sports channel... what promised to be a great game was one of the worst games I've seen in a long time. The Turks should have come away with 3 points.

I agree that the Korea/Uzbekistan game looked like a bunch of 13-year olds in a scrimmage. Korea was lucky to come away with that point. I don't see them getting past the group stages next year, unless they're saddled with some weak teams.

The Romania/Netherlands game wasn't bad, I caught a bit of that--Romania plays a much better game than the scoreline indicated. They just had no finishers.
jurassic5

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USA and Korea both need wins to basically secure their ticket to Germany. USA plays Panama and Korea plays Kuwait. Both teams should win, but the way Korea's form has been lately... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jaganath69

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greekfreak wrote:
Stayed up late to watch the Greece/Turkey game on an italian sports channel... what promised to be a great game was one of the worst games I've seen in a long time. The Turks should have come away with 3 points.

I agree that the Korea/Uzbekistan game looked like a bunch of 13-year olds in a scrimmage. Korea was lucky to come away with that point. I don't see them getting past the group stages next year, unless they're saddled with some weak teams.

The Romania/Netherlands game wasn't bad, I caught a bit of that--Romania plays a much better game than the scoreline indicated. They just had no finishers.

You were expecting exciting football from two of the most workmanlike teams in Europe. Only thing that would have been a spectacle would be the diving! I still hope, as someone who spent 6 months living in Santorini, that the Greeks make it though, plus England and Australia.
tommynomad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has Holland fallen that far stylistically? Have they become team England? Italy?
I haven't watched them in a few years. After almost three decades of scintillating play undone by head cases and ego trips, I washed my hands of those heartbreakers in 2000. Though in my heart I'll continue to enjoy their play (and maybe allow myself to root for them a little), they won't take me for that ride again.
Pity to hear they've given up total football for someting more proletarian.
KorJen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

** removed ** by korjen
Alias

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Security is so tight for the Japan v North Korea match in Bangkok that they actually banned fans from attending the game.

Article here
indytrucks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N Korea 0 - Japan 2. Strange match to watch, it being behind closed doors. Japan is through to Germany. The North Koreans showed promise but lack any imagination whatsoever in the final third.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: