Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

E-2 MULTIPLE ENTRY Visa in my passport-stopped anyway-why?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: E-2 MULTIPLE ENTRY Visa in my passport-stopped anyway-why? Reply with quote

Last edited by andrew on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheWesternShoreKid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He might have been fishing...For a bribe...
weened

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me on my way to Beijing. The airline guy wouldn't validate my ticket until I had gone to immigration. I did point out "multiple" to him but still ended up sprinting across Incheon to get an ok from Immigration. The best part was my return. I just said, "The woman said it was ok." He said okey dokey and away I went. I should have quietly walked to the bathroom and quietly returned...
maestro74

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen to me when I went home for a visit. The ticket agent wouldn't give me my bording pass and I had to go to inchon immigration. There the guy promptly took out a pen, crossed out "multiple", stamped "single" on it and said I owe 30,000 won. Since I just wanted to go home, they got me. I was informed that I had the "wrong" visa and that they don't give E-2's multiple entry visas. Oh well, they just want to keep getting their 30,000 won.
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the "multiple" entry stamped on my E-2 is not valid?
rapier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm. Very interesting. i've noticed the same time- consuming reluctance to let you in , no matter how in order your papers are- they'll scan your passport over and over, ask you all sorts of funny questions, etc, etc.. Its worrying. At first I put it down to a basic fear of foreigners, of not wanting to let any foreigner into the fatherland. But now I'm not sure. I certainly wouldn't risk a bribe if my papers are in order...
I have a multiple entry stamp- but I'll be going on holiday for a couple months before maybe returning to start a new contract. Am i going to get in trouble I wonder???
Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about F2 visas? Do you need to have a multiple entry stamp in them too? And what about that attitude rapier alluded to? How do they treat an F2 visa holder? Any first hand experiences?
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I understand it, is that you have your E-2 visa which doesn't allow for multiple exits and entries. You have to buy and extra 50,000 won in stamps for them to validate the visa as multiple exit and entry. The E-2 alone doesn't do this. Buy the extra 50,000 won when renewing your contract, and you don't have to worry.
Hyalucent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... I'm flying out for two weeks vacation next Saturday. I just got the multiple entry stamp in my passport a couple weeks ago so everything is legal. I swear, if they hassle me one teeny tiny bit, I'll start smashing things until they deport me. Evil or Very Mad
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having an E-2 visa DOES NOT give you any re-entry priviliges. At an immigration office you MUST BUY(yeah, w/ those funny stamps)a single re-entry permit(W30K) or a multiple(W50K). Once you do that, it DOES NOT matter what kind of visa you hold-the re-entry permit is valid until your visa's expiry date.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuck,

F-2 holders must pay 50,000won at an immigration office for a multiple(not airport immigration, they won't give you a multiple, only a single which will cost you 30,000).

i just potentially saved you quite a bit of money. how 'bout buyin' me a brewski sometime? Wink
Odysseus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

US citizens are issued a multiple entry E-2 visa. I've made two trips out of the country and never paid for a stamp. On one occasion the immigration fellow stopped me, said I didn't have a multiple entry visa, but his supervisor came over and corrected him and let me go. I assume he had difficulty reading the visa stamp because it's in English. If you have a multipe entry visa you don't have to pay extra to leave and return.
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL4kids, et al.: Nope, I'm Canadian, so maybe Yanks get a break there. That blows me away-in Japan the rules for re-entry permits, etc. are across- the- board for all foreigners....
Holyjoe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the strange thing - I had a single entry E-2 visa when I came here last April (I'm from the UK), and back in January I went to Malaysia for a holiday.
I went to the immigration office at the airport to get my re-entry permit and I got it no problem.... for free.
And then when I renewed my visa in April I got given a multiple re-entry visa.. again, for no more cost than it takes to renew (as far as I'm aware).

I'll be applying for the F-2 soon when I get married, so we'll see what happens with that Smile
Odysseus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nope, I'm Canadian, so maybe Yanks get a break there

On a trip to China my Canadian friends were stopped by imigration at the airport and had to pay about 30,000 won. The process took about 30 minutes. There must be a different arrangement with Canada and Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: