Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

APARTMENT, BED, LINEN AND PILLOWS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRomantic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: APARTMENT, BED, LINEN AND PILLOWS Reply with quote

Do teachers apartments come with a bed, bed linen and pillows? Your response would be appreciated.

Kind regards Nick
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally they do... but I think the real question is, are they new and if not, do you want to use them??? Shocked You can never be sure whose been sleeping in them / on them... shudder.

I've only ever had 2nd stuff handed down to me... I've always brought my own sheets from home ('cos I just haven't been able to find standard sheets here. I'm sure they're available but I just haven't looked very hard) and I've bought my own pillows and doona/comforter here.
OiGirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: APARTMENT, BED, LINEN AND PILLOWS Reply with quote

Most places come with a bed. In my experience, if it is an apartment that others have lived in, there will be some linens. If it is a new apartment, you will have to get your own bedding. As well as kitchen stuff as well.

I have slept a few nights with the contents of my suitcase as pillow and sheet. (And they weren't pillows and sheets in my suitcase!)
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boss bought me some basic kitchen stuff. I bought some bedding with me.

But I wish I had bought my pillow from home.. the ones here suck. Also throw in a few pillow cases. That said I think emart has some stuff.

CLG
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The schools here are all different. The Hogwans (the most common employers of foreign ESL teachers) are private institutes that are free to offer or provide whatever they wish. I suggest that you ask individual questions about such topics to your potential employer.

Generally if you are provided with an apartment some basic things will be included. Usually they will provide a blanket and pillow or two.....but sheets are not common here. I always bring some from home.....although i've gotten used to sleeping without them.....
gajackson1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first school provided me with 2 beds - a queen and a single. There were linens, which were 2nd hand, but clean, in good shape, and acceptable. However, they were KOREAN 'BED LINENS' and 'PILLOWS'!!! Fine for me, but not all people like that style.

After viewing my new/current school's office setup, I sadly let most of my stuff go when changing jobs. My old school was giving up the apartment, so literally everything I had collected over 3 years that I didn't want was dumped out.

My new job provided me with a single bed. That's it. No pillow, no blanket/covers, etc. As I got to my place around 2:30 in the morning, I had a night like Oi-G.

Now, I have a beautiful queen-sized sleigh bed; not giving this one up!!!

G.
em

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between Korean pillows and bedsheets and Western ones?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean bedsheets are kind of like quilts and vallances all in one and often don't fit in the washing machine (if you've got a small one). They don't have the standard flat and fitted sheets that we have in the west. Even their doonas/comforters don't have covers, so you sleep with the same thing over you every night and their next to impossible to clean if they don't fit in your washing machine. They do have them in Korea, they're just not easy to find when you're new to the country... all the more harder.

You can get regular pillows here, but some people think "Korean pillows" are long, skinny, round and hard like a tube.
desultude

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found reasonably good western-style (none of that strange ribbing in the back) down pillows for less than 10,000 at EMart. I brought good
all-cotton sheets from the States, and I am so glad that I did.

I have seen duvet covers here for the Korean duvets. I plan to buy a complete Korean bedset soon. I am now sleeping on a rock hard mattress, which seems to be just fine, and I have slept on the basic Korean "bed" at times. I find it to be fine. I have such a small apartment, so I would love to lose the big western bed and gain the space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: