Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Incheon Airport- 6th best airport in world
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Incheon Airport- 6th best airport in world Reply with quote

According to Skytrax, which rates airlines and airports, Incheon is the 6th best airport in the world. The only other airports better than Incheon are:

1. Hong Kong
2. Singapore
3. Dubai
4. Sydney
5. Copenhagen

Personally I do think Hong Kong is a great airport- the best I've been to. Singapore's is very good as well. Never been to the other three. As for Incheon, I am fairly impressed with it but it will be better once they get a rail-link set up.

If you want to check it out for yourself, the website is www.airlinequality.com

Oh, and #1 in North America was Vancouver.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been to Sydney and Singapore.

Singapore is big but has all the gadgets but I didn't spend much time there. Sydney is reasonably big and is bloody expensive if you want something to eat or drink (I paid $6AUD for a small cup of orange juice) but sydney has these wonderful leather sofas just as you clear transit which is great if you need a snooze as I've done on more than half a dozen occasions.

Here's a better list from http://www.sleepinginairports.net/bestof.htm

Changi, Singapore
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Auckland, New Zealand
Brisbane, Australia
Hong Kong
Lima, Peru
Melbourne, Australia
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Portland, Oregon
Toronto (Terminal 3), Ontario
Vancouver, British Columbia

CLG
waterbaby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: Incheon Airport- 6th best airport in world Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
4. Sydney

Sydney airport sux! Getting from International to Domestic is a pain with luggage and when you do get to the Domestic Terminal, you need to put an Australian 2 dollar coin into the luggage trolley machine! Yeah right, just got off on flight from Korea and I've got two aussie dollars in my pocket Rolling Eyes

I lurrrve HK airport - that you can check your luggage in at the train station! So big and nice and lots of helpful people to ferry you around on golf carts and through immigration's *special* line when you set your alarm to 6pm instead of 6am (or something equally stupid) and are running a wee bit late.

What's the worst airport you've ever been to? For me, it was the airport in Taipei, Taiwan. I couldn't find my left foot from my right foot in that place. It was quite traumatic. I ended up snarling and spitting at everyone like a feral cat...

Edit: CLG - why is it a "better list?" 'cos Auckland's on it? Wink
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Incheon Airport- 6th best airport in world Reply with quote

waterbaby wrote:
Edit: CLG - why is it a "better list?" 'cos Auckland's on it? Wink

No, it's just I think there are a lot of budget people here who would do that sort of thing and want the inside info. Smile

Also as for sydney I've never had to bother about transfering my luggage at Sydney but I've only ever flown qantas so I just have my carry on stuff to take to the bus. But the place is damn expensive.

CLG
seoulman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the worst airport you've ever been to? For me, it was the airport in Taipei, Taiwan. I couldn't find my left foot from my right foot in that place.

I agree that the airport in Taipei sucks, but it simply cannot compete with the dreadful airport in Mumbai (Bombay), India. The sights and smells of that place caused me to have both a case of the upchuck and downchuck (if you know what I mean). Making matters worse was my outright refusal to use the restroom facilties - wasn't taking that chance. So I suffered until I boarded the plan, at which time I let loose.
Korea Newfie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The international airport in Phnom Penh, Cambodia is tiny, which is to be expected. Although when I was there a few months ago, it had actually doubled its size from six months prior.

Anyway, when I got there and saw the name of the airport from the plane, I couldn't help but laugh...Pochentong (and they pronounce it like boshintang, which made it perfect. Laughing )
Romulus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re:Airports Reply with quote

I think Denver was a really nice place to layover more like a shopping mall with lots of restaurants.The worst so far was with a doubt Taipei.I hate it so much we dropped Cathay Pacific as a carrier when travelling because of their insistance on laying over there.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, Hong Kong is swell. I never really think about the airports I'm in, though. I just kinda...go through 'em.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the new Hong Kong airport and Singapore is definitely nice, likewise so is ICN a huge upgrade from the dump of Kimpo

In the US, Denver is also nice as is the new International terminal at San Francisco. I'm particulary biased towards Austin, its brand new and you can get great tex-mex food, bbq and ice cram.

Worst? easy MIA, Miami has to have THE WORST airport I've ever been to, its a class A dump, no on site rental cars, in a horrible neighborhood very old and crowded. If you have to fly into So Fla go to Ft. Lauderdale. ATL and ORD I'm not found of either and Sea-Tac I was hugley disappointed with.

Finally who can forget the old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong? Ducking between skyscrapers straight on to that runway that juts into the harbor praying that you won't get wet. Who needs a roller coaster, I've been to Kai Tak Laughing
Cedar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can't think that Incheon is bad, even though the transit to and from is annoying, it's not worse that most other airports in the world. At first I was really anti-Incheon because Gimpo was on the subway, but now I actually quite like it.

Japan's international airports are so clean- but boring at night.

Taipei didn't bug me that much.

Beijing doesn't have enough places to sit! And all airports in China only people with tickets can go as far as check in-- which sucks if you are flying standby, or if you have friends with you. They force you to pay airport tax, even though as a standby person you may not get to fly. And your friends have to wait outside for you as you go through the check-in line.

Siem Reap is like a bump in the road. It's so cute and small, but NOTHING compared to the tiny itsy-bitsy Yangon, Myanmar airport.

Bangkok airport is a bit crowded, but 24 hours a day you can find everything open- i like that. It's got all the services you ever need.

Kimhae (Busan) is functional, but a drag to get to.

Flying international out of Daegu is sort of Twilight Zone-esque. It's hard to believe you'll end up where you are going, cause it seems like it's not a shell of an airport.

I like Vancouver, except they are such dicks about the weight allowance!

Sea-Tac needs a major overhaul. (But I haven't been there in three years).

LAX is SOOOO rude! The employees there need a major lesson in manners.

Indira Gandhi (New Delhi) is hot, humid, smelly and slow. Just what you expect in India.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like airports - they're great places to people-watch, and it's interesting to see the planes going to all the interesting cities... but man, a LOATHED Kimpo. I hated trying to kill three hours there waiting for a flight. The Western restaurant was called "Western Restaurant", the Korean one "Korean Restaurant", and that's all they had. Shopping was limited to the anemic and overpriced Lotte and Shinsaegae concessions. I've been back to Kimpo twice in the last few months, and returning there brought back how much I hate it. At least it's on the subway line, though.

I like Singapore's Changi - everyone does. It's got good shopping, and is very quiet. Also, as of last year it's hooked up to the local mass transit system (Incheon, take note). However, my favourite airport is Kuala Lumpur's KLIA, but that's partly because it's almost empty every time I'm there. When you go, be sure to take the rapid train to the satellite terminal - that's where all the good shops and services are.

I'd like Bangkok more if I didn't get so agitated by the taxi and hotel touts ready to pounce just outside the arrivals area. Next time I'm bringing a can of Raid.

Narita's famously bad, and they're needlessly strict about transferring between the two terminals. Still, if you can, sneak onto the shuttle bus that goes to the terminal with the Yahoo Japan free internet spot. You may have to lie to get there, but it's better than paying 500 yen an hour. I pulled this move twice last summer.
desultude

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudyflyer said:

"Worst? easy MIA, Miami has to have THE WORST airport I've ever been to, its a class A dump, no on site rental cars, in a horrible neighborhood very old and crowded. If you have to fly into So Fla go to Ft. Lauderdale."

Miami now has carts, why it didn't before was always a mystery to me. Perhaps they used to disappear to become homes under I 95 for boat people. . .

I love MIA for purely subjective reasons. The Cuban coffee, cheap by any standards and the highest octane outside of the Middle East, is the best while waiting in International. I love being both in the United States and not at the same time- It feels more international than JFK.

I remember a few years ago when Cubans in Miami were allowed, until this administration, to go visit their families, but could not take luggage. You would see the families lined up for the twice weekly flight wearing multiple wardrobes, with the most usable accessories pinned everywhere. Underneath were layers of medicinal supplies and items not available on the trade-starved island. The security and immigration people turned a blind eye to their unique wardrobes.

Exotically beautiful islanders from all over the Caribbean line up with their luggage that contains things like a full set of tires fastened together and wrapped in plastic.

And after you get outside you are struck in the face with hot drenched air, and the faint smell of sea. The airport is in a "bad" part of town, but aren't most airports- the rich really don't want 777s in their back yard. But when you are landing you generally have to fly out over the Atlantic and turn back flying low over South Beach.

Yeah, MIA is loud, hot, sticky, and mostly Latin. But it feels like all I love and hate about Miami. Its a place where you a have a very real sense of the community that it belongs to. This is unlike most airports, which are sterile and uniform, and only international in the sense of seeming all the same with Starbucks, Cinnabun, and some sort of Sports bar. In MIA you can find an outpost of La Caretta- one of the more authentic Cuban restaurants in Miami, and Cuban coffee and pastries everywhere.
Chonbuk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore is by far the greatest airport for overnight stopovers. A movie theater, and quiet sleeping areas where they dim the lights.

BGK is in the midst of renovations, it is starting to look a heck of a lot better.

My pet peeve about Japan and Korea is that they have so many National only lines at Immigration and never enough Waegukin lines. I find this extremely frustrating expecially when I'm usually rushing to catch a bus back home. Japan is alot worse than Korea with this.

Korea has a great Duty free shop, and Incheon is a nice airport.

Canada- I wonder if Pearson is finished construction yet? anybody know?

A bit of a story- The last time I was coming back to Korea- Dec. 2001 someone was talking about 9/11 just as we were ready to board, the Canadian lady in front of me nearly took off her head, that was the closest I have ever been to a boarding brawl....

Cheers,

Chonbuk
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the airports I've visited-

Halifax International: An elementary school with an airport attached.

Peirson: I [b]LOVED[b] the bouncy moving sidewalks. Other than that, pretty bland, though looking at the CN Tower on the horizon in the early morning is nice.

Vancouver: A twisty turny bag of crap that is 100 times worse when you're trying to reenter Canada.

Incheon: Big, open,but it could use a few more immigration desks manned.

Kansai: All that space and they only have a few small shops inside?!

Fukuoka: Just the right size to not be a pain in the butt.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last three times i've flown into incheon, it was pretty quick. It was definilty quicker than the last two times I've gone to SFO.

Worst airport: Sea-Tac. It's been awhile, but i just remember getting lost trying to get out of the freaking airport. It seemed really poorly planned out.

Denver's new airport seemed pretty nice, but it better be; it was freaking expensive enough to build.

I like San Diego's airport simply because its pretty small (esp. for a large city) and you fly right over the skyscrapers on your way in.

Smallest airport I've flown to: Fez, Morocco. The check-in area is about as big as my apt. as is the customs area.

Dirtiest, grubiest Intl. airport I've been to: Casablanca, Morocco. I'm sure by African standards its not bad, but it was pretty dark and dreery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: