Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

couples living in korea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: couples living in korea Reply with quote

my (new zealand) friend is thinking of coming over to korea to teach, and he will be bringing his wife. they are in their early twenties, and he was curious as to what type of employment (if any) would be available for her, outside of the teaching industry. if anyone has any knowledge of what type of jobs a non-korean speaking western woman can get here, or if anyone is in a similar situation, could you shed some light on any of the options that might be available?

thanks.
tm.
Cedar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much. But she could come on a dependent visa and teach illegally, with no trouble finding employers. Or she could just volunteer. Unless they will be in Seoul there aren't many other sorts of employment for foreigners besides night-walker and high level engineer. I presume she's pre-disposed against the former and not qualified for the latter.

Incidentally, I urge people not to come to Korea with their partner unless the relationship is REALLY solid.
Trinny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedar wrote:

Incidentally, I urge people not to come to Korea with their partner unless the relationship is REALLY solid.

I agree. I've seen so many couples ended up divorced, as husbands started having affairs with Korean women.
hojucandy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: working holiday visa Reply with quote

tell your friend's wife to enquire about getting a "working holidya visa". it will allow her to work legally. she should be able to get some casual teaching work on this visa. ask at the korean embassy in nz.
rudyflyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as someone who works with their spouse I echo Cedars warning. I said in an earlier thread I wouldn't recommend couples coming here who have been together less than a year and if you are married I wouldn't come here during that first year of marriage. First year of a marriage/relationship is hard enough without adding the pressures of teaching in Korea to it. Working with your SO means you are together 24/7 which you wouldn't have back in the west that puts a strain on things, trust me.

One thing I would highly advise is to find your own interests and some alone time. I do it by working out/going to the sauna by myself for example.

I haven't seen divorces because husbands started having affairs with Korean women that Trinny said occurs but then again I do live a clueless sheltered life here.

With all that said we've found that many schools like hiring us because there are advantages for the school, couples tend to be more stable, deal with culture shock better, if one is a strong teacher they can help the other with ideas, they are also less likely to pull a midnight run, and finally they tend to overall be more responsible about their jobs.

If your relationship is solid by all means come just get that first year or two under your belt before coming over
blackbird

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple tend to have more leverage with the boss. If he tries something dishonest he will lose two teachers not one. This is especially true in small schools. I have found this to be a huge benefit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: