Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cell Phones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Cell Phones Reply with quote

I can only speak about my experiences here in Korea over the years as I had never seen a cell phone before I came here.

In my opinion it seems that the cell phone in Korea has gone thru quite a bit of evolution, and is regarded in different ways as time goes on. This is how I see things "progressing" with cell phones.

1. First it was a convenience

2. Next it became a symbol of social status.

3. Then it became an additction.

4. Then addition had gone to the point of being mental illness.

5. Now, the cell phone is God.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
plokiju

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned a cell phone. So does that make me a heathen or a pagan?

I'm going to see how long I can get away with it. It's an inevitability, I think.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cell phone is my lover. Embarassed
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cell phones are yet another device designed to make humans more fettered and socially obnoxious than they already are in the first place.
DRAMA OVERKILL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss the old ones with green display screens - rather simple and functionable...

I recently got a new one... There wasn't a phone in the shop that wasn't color with a camera...

I just wanna be able to make and receive calls, and perhaps send a few text messages...

Color, camera, MP3, with FM radio, etc. - it's gettin' outta hand...
AdamH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refuse to have one under any circumstances in Korea. Partly a hangover from working tech support where you're always at someone's beck and call. Think you're gonna sit down for an hour and enjoy your lunch? Ha! Wrong! Think again, sunshine.

Also works wonders in avoiding extra work that the wonjangnim would otherwise try his best to offload onto me. It's already saved me a few early mornings.
Kwangjuchicken

Location: I was abducted by aliens on my way to Korea and forced to be an EFL teacher on this crazy planet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamH wrote:
I refuse to have one under any circumstances in Korea. Partly a hangover from working tech support where you're always at someone's beck and call. Think you're gonna sit down for an hour and enjoy your lunch? Ha! Wrong! Think again, sunshine.

Also works wonders in avoiding extra work that the wonjangnim would otherwise try his best to offload onto me. It's already saved me a few early mornings.

This happened to me a few years ago.

I had an interview with the chair of a top uni here in Korea. Because I use a real watch on my wrist, it was easy for me to keep track of the time.

I was supposed to have a one hour interview. And, yes I was in his office for one hour.

During my interview he received many cell phone calls. I did not keep track of the number of calls, just the time he was on his cell phone.

51 minutes of my 60 minute interview he spent talking on his cell phone.

After a week I emaild him to see my status with my application. He said that I did not receive the position because my interview was very weak.
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
FUBAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

little mixed girl wrote:
my cell phone is my lover. Embarassed

Yeah... I read about those add-ons for woman. Laughing
quiksilver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second day I was in Korea my boss sat me down to discuss some contract issues. She went through income tax, etc. Then she says you "must" buy a "hande pone". Why I asked. If you want many friends in Korea you need a "hande pone". Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: