Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NEVER trust USA Priority Mail. NEVER!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: NEVER trust USA Priority Mail. NEVER! Reply with quote

I sent my passport to the Korean Consulate via Priority Mail from Des Moines to Chicago, and it hasn't arrived after 7 days. It's supposed to take 2 to 3 (2 over that short of distance). Of course, I had no tracking number.

I'm going nuts, because I'm supposed to fly back to Korea in 2 weeks. Might have to make an emergency passport (costing big $$$) and with my luck, my passport will arrive after that is all done.

NEVER trust the US Postal Service. NEVER!
desultude

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important documents should always go Federal Express or the equivalent. Just think how much better you would feel now if you had spent the money then on express service.
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Gee Reply with quote

Wow, that never occurred to me.

Thank-you so much!
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Learn about USPS services... Reply with quote

Why didn't you send it with a service from the USPS that included tracking? I don't remember the names of the services, but another US$1-4 would get you tracking and signature confirmation.

Anyway, that's for next time. How do you know they didn't get it? They are, of course, Koreans working there! "It didn't arrive," could mean "I lost it under a pile of papers somewhere," or "I don't feel like dealing with you."

When I sent my passport to the Atlanta, Georgia consulate, I knew through the USPS tracking that it had arrived, but received no notice, and for weeks, no passport. I finally called, and they were not going to send it back until I had prepaid for Priority Mail. (I had tried to do so when I sent it, but the post office said it was impossible to send a Priority Mail SASE. The correct answer is to send enough postage to pay for Priority Mail.) They were not going to call me or send a post card to tell me what they were waiting for, they were just...waiting.

Good luck. I hope you get it worked out!
Derrek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Was Reply with quote

I was in an extreme hurry to mail it and leave town to make a speech in another city. I wish I would have paid extra for tracking, etc. I can only pray it turns up soon. The Korean Consulate in Chicago is very small. I think maybe 3 or 4 people worked there. I've talked to the first person who received the mail, and also the person who does the Visa processing. They haven't seen it, nor have they received anything in the last week which required more postage. Also, I did included another pre-paid envelope with it, so it shouldn't have any payment problems. They have both my home number and cell numbers in case.

I was disgusted with the post office, because the lady was quite reluctant to fill out a form to check the "lost/damaged' mail area in Chicago. She hem-hawed about how it wouldn't make any difference, and may take weeks, etc. I later read on the website that this form is used by the main offices to track when local branches receive lost or damaged mail complaints, etc.. Maybe she didn't want her office to look bad if anything turned up -- who knows. Postal employees in the USA are just horrible to deal with, in my opinion. Another reason why I should have sent UPS or Fed Ex. Even though it would have cost another $9 or so.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, i wonder why the USPS can't seem to make a profit after all these years Rolling Eyes
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by little mixed girl on Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:29 am; edited 1 time in total
justagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I sent mine from Des Moines to Chicago, too. I'm pretty sure it was priority overnight, or something like that. My hakwon pays for all the fees, so I didn't have to be my usual frugal self and save the $12 for lunch.

Where are you ending up over here in Korea? Hope you get your passport, soon.

Did you call the embassy to see if they received it?
richinkorea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how did this end up ? Did you get your passport back ?

Was the problem with the PO or the Consulate ??

Closure man..............
charlie_choppers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 13 boxes sent over from California. USPS lost 2 of them. Attempts to get to the bottom of the mess were a waste of time. USPS couldn't give a rat's butt.
makushi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As if the USPS needs another endorsement....

A year ago I sent a business document from the US to Manila it arrived four months later...lesson learned, if important never ever trust the men/women in blue...

The dudes in brown or the dudes in red, or the dudes in orange, or the ones with the funky RWB unis are always a much better bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: