Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DEPORTATION: HOW LONG?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRomantic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: DEPORTATION: HOW LONG? Reply with quote

How long is one banned from Korea after being deported for teaching privates by immigration? How much is the fine? What happens if you can't pay the fine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nick
Canuck

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you dont know why are you considering even doing privates? If you have to ask,it means that you cant deal with the consequences.
Gord

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DEPORTATION: HOW LONG? Reply with quote

MrRomantic wrote:
How long is one banned from Korea after being deported for teaching privates by immigration?

Two years for visa violations. Possibly more for tax fraud if Immigration decides to make an example.

Quote:
How much is the fine?

Generally between 500,000 and 1,000,000 Won, but there is no upper limit if an example wishes to be made.

Quote:
What happens if you can't pay the fine?

You sit in jail until someone from your home country pays the fine.

Quote:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lurk more. Use the search on here or on Google.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuck wrote:

Quote:
If you dont know why are you considering even doing privates? If you have to ask,it means that you cant deal with the consequences.

you're a bit rude today aren't you?

Before I came to Korea, I did not know the laws about privates. Yet, I considered it. So that means I could not deal with the consequences even though I didn't know what they were?

You don't make much sense.

The guy is obviously trying to educate himself as to the consequences so he himself can make that judgement call whether or not the benifits outweigh the consequences or not.

Don't judge people unless you're either (A) a judge, or (b) God.
applepie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:

I would write it as

Don't judge people unless you're either (A) a judge, or (b) Gord.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
[Before I came to Korea, I did not know the laws about privates. Yet, I considered it. So that means I could not deal with the consequences even though I didn't know what they were?

You don't make much sense.

The guy is obviously trying to educate himself as to the consequences so he himself can make that judgement call whether or not the benifits outweigh the consequences or not.

Unlike you, the guy who posted, DOES know the laws about privates. He pointed out that you get deported from Korea. He knows they are illegal.
Read the first post again, carefully. Then read Canuck's post. He makes perfect sense.
Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. The guy is fully aware of the illegality of privates and the possible consequences. His only question is about the EXTENT of those consequences, and as I said, if he has to ask, he cant deal with them. If I had 10 million bucks, I wouldnt ask howmuch that BMW costs. Id buy it. The guy goes on to ask what would happen IF he cant pay the fines. Well, seems to me that he already knows he cant deal with it.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth Wrote:

Quote:
Unlike you, the guy who posted, DOES know the laws about privates.

What makes you think that I don't know the consequences?

Quote:
He pointed out that you get deported from Korea. He knows they are illegal.

He knows the laws, yes. He does not know the consequences.

Where did I say he did not know they are illegal?

Quote:
Read the first post again, carefully. Then read Canuck's post.

Um, okay. Now your turn. Read it again.

Quote:
He makes perfect sense.

No he does not.

Mr Romantic is not asking whether teaching privates are legal or illegal. He is asking about the consequences of teaching them. Obviously he does not know the consequences and thus is asking for information regarding them. But someone decides to basically attack the guy because he asked a question?

Nice way to treat newbies to this forum....someone asks a question, then someone else with a bit of experience attacks the guy.

Canuck wrote:

Quote:
If you have to ask,it means that you cant deal with the consequences.

That's my whole point. This statement does not make sense.

How can one deal with the consequences when one does not know all the consequences?

Being deported is not the only thing can can happen to you if you're caught doing privates, and the poster, unlike you pair, wanted clarity.

At least Gord answered the guy...

Canuck Wrote:

Quote:
Exactly. The guy is fully aware of the illegality of privates and the possible consequences.

Get a dictionary and look up the word "consequence". He is (or rather was not) not fully aware of the consequences, which is why he posted the damn question in the first place.

Quote:
His only question is about the EXTENT of those consequences,

Um, wake up! Not knowing the exent of the consequences is actually not being fully aware of them.

Quote:
and as I said, if he has to ask, he cant deal with them.

Which is a stupid statement because as I said "you cannot deal with something if you do not have all the facts".

If
Quote:
I had 10 million bucks, I wouldnt ask howmuch that BMW costs. Id buy it.

Which is not very pennywise.

Quote:
The guy goes on to ask what would happen IF he cant pay the fines.
Which is a valid question on a JOB DISCUSSION FORUM.

Quote:
Well, seems to me that he already knows he cant deal with it.

Seems to me you offer only critisism and can't deal with helping people when they need it.

The guy came here with his hand out looking for information, and you bit his finger.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like bobbing for apples with your asscheeks in here!
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common sense comes into play here; in our respective countries WE KNOW what happens to illegal aliens! We don't have to ask immigration. If you don't have permission from the man, then it ain't legit. On another note; I'm sure that back home, we'd be putting up a big squak if illegal aliens were teaching, working, etc.
Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How long is one banned from Korea after being deported for teaching privates by immigration? How much is the fine? What happens if you can't pay the fine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Banned, seported and fined. He knows the consequences.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Banned, seported and fined. He knows the consequences.

Poor horse getting beaten so hard...

He knows what happens, but not fully. He does not know the EXTENT of the consequences, which is why he is asking.

If the speeding fine is 10000000 dollars, I would be damned if I ever speed.

Yet, if it were 50 cents, hell I'll speed all day.

The guy is obviously wanting to measure benifits vs. consequences. Not having all the numbers makes it harder for him.

Let him teach privates. If he gets caught, his neck not yours or mine.
itchy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DEPORTATION: HOW LONG? Reply with quote

MrRomantic wrote:
How long is one banned from Korea after being deported for teaching privates by immigration? How much is the fine? What happens if you can't pay the fine? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Nick

#1 rule of teaching privates in Korea: Don't get caught. You can take this to extremes. Methods used sucessfully by expats to escape from authorities include climbing down the wall of a building, running through the city with immigration in hot pursuit, disguising onesself as a pizza delivery guy, climbing up into a false ceiling and hiding there, jumping off of a balcony into bushes. You can use any of these methods, or invent some new ones. DON'T GET CAUGHT. DON'T GET CAUGHT. DON'T GET CAUGHT. Do I make myself clear?
Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, learn to read.

Quote:

He knows what happens, but not fully. He does not know the EXTENT of the consequences, which is why he is asking

Thats what I said.

My quote:

Quote:
Exactly. The guy is fully aware of the illegality of privates and the possible consequences. His only question is about the EXTENT of those consequences

Your quotes:

Quote:
Get a dictionary and look up the word "consequence". He is (or rather was not) not fully aware of the consequences, which is why he posted the damn question in the first place.

Quote:
He knows the laws, yes. He does not know the consequences.

And your last quote. See how similar itis to my first quote:

Quote:
He does not know the EXTENT of the consequences, which is why he is asking.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, learn how to make sense.

your quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Exactly. The guy is fully aware of the illegality of privates and the possible consequences. His only question is about the EXTENT of those consequences

So according to your statements, he does not know, yet he does know...

you say he is "fully aware", but that is impossible because if he was fully aware he would not be asking questions on the issue.

Anyway whatever. You missied my point entirely and got off track.

My point is: (1) He is not fully aware (2) if someone is not fully aware, they cannot realize the consequences, which is why he has to ask.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: