Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa for Non-Teaching American Spouse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radhagrrl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Visa for Non-Teaching American Spouse Reply with quote

Howdy,

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.

I have a question that I am having a difficult time in finding an answer on the Internet. I have a degree (English and education), and am thinking about teaching in Korea. I would definitely want to come with my husband, also a US citizen, but he does not have a 4 year degree. I know I can teach and get an E2 visa, but what kind of visa could he get in order to stay in the country with me for the duration of my contract (it doesn't have to be a work visa)? He's a white American, and I can only find information on spouse visas that apply to people from non-English speaking countries.
svenska

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radhagrrl,

my husband and i are american citizens...he got the work visa, and i got the spouse visa. i remember filling out the application for a spouse visa at the korean embassy (in D.C.). the whole thing was pretty easy for me...the stressful part was getting everything else together in a matter of 2 weeks so my husband could start working in korea at the appointed time!

let me know if you have any other questions.

good luck!
Radhagrrl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you. Everything we looked up was so confusing. Do you recall what kind it was (F4, F3, etc.)? We don't live near the Korean embassy, so we'll have to do all this by mail. Also, what are the work restrictions on a spouse visa? No work at all?

Thank you very very very much!
Radhagrrl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Oh Yeah... Reply with quote

Sorry to keep bothering you...what documents do you have to supply? Anything other than passport and marriage certificate?

Gracias!
svenska

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an F-3 visa.

i recommend calling the embassy and asking them which documents you need just to make sure you provide them with all the right stuff for your respective visas. this link might help as well.

http://www.koreaembassyusa.org/visiting/eng_visatype.cfm

you will need to provide the signed contract from your sponsoring employer in addition to a marriage certificate for your husband's F-3 visa, passports...and probably some other stuff that i can't remember right now.

our understanding was that i couldn't work here on an F-3. once we got here, however, my husband's employer wanted to know if i wanted to work at the same place. i have a bachelor's degree and i had brought a notarized copy of my degree just in case. so, we did the requisite stuff and now i'm working as well.

i don't know if your husband will be able to legally work here (as an english teacher, anyway) since he doesn't have a bachelor's degree.

he could teach private lessons, but that is illegal...not that a lot of people don't do it here because a lot do. but, i figured i'd put in my two cents' worth and say that we don't do it. do a search on daves esl cafe and you'll see hundreds of posts about it-some for it and some against it.

good luck.
Radhagrrl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Thanks again Reply with quote

Thanks again. That site you referred me to was great. You wouldn't believe what a hard time I have had getting a straight answer on this.

Totally off-topic, what's your personal opinion of teaching in Korea?
svenska

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i could go on about what i think of teaching here...but i don't know what would be helpful to you. i mean, it really depends on your personality, your expectations, your attitude, and what sort of work situation you find yourself in once you get here.

for example-i talked to a woman recently with a TESOL masters and lots of teaching experience and she was very unhappy at her school here because she didn't like their educational approach. she said it was not at all what she expected...the curriculum was low-standard...and a lot of other things disappointed her. she is going to finish out the contract, though.

on the other hand, my husband was an engineer before this and left a high stress job to take a break and rethink what he wanted to do. he has no problem with how the education is here...he's just going with the flow and planning for the future in all the free time he has, which BTW is a lot. it turns out that he really enjoys teaching!

and on another hand, i have a history degree. i came here hoping to teach private lessons until i learned that it was illegal. i specified to my director that i prefer small classes (4-5 students or less) elementary age to adults. give me a small, manageable class and i will be fine! i was able to negotiate that in my contract fortunately. my husband teaches much larger classes and i substituted for him one time and it just reinforced my preference for small classes.

send me a PM! i'd be glad to go into detail about what i think and maybe you could tell me a little about ya'll's situation and what you're hoping to get out of your time here.
Radhagrrl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot. That is excellent advice. I kind of figured a lot of it depended on your attitude towards things, but my husband was really worried for me. I'll quit usurping your time, though (thanks for the offer - I really do appreacite you taking the time to answer me in depth).

Thank you very much again!
russbeck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: visa for non teaching spouse and son Reply with quote

I'm 59 and have been teaching high school English here in Florida for the last four years. When I reach 62 I'd like to teach in Korea. I wonder what the process is for procuring a visa for my wife and ten year old son. These posts are nearly five years old. They seem to apply that it depends on your job in Korea and the school you hook up with. Is that still accurate. Nobody has mentioned visas for children.

Any insight greatly appreciated.
guerillera

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, want more info from more recent posters.
taiwan_girl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the information in the early posts is still valid. An F-3 visa (dependent family) is issued for:

(a) A spouse of a person who applies to one of D-1 status through E-7 status ;
(b) Children underage and unmarried of the person described in the above (a).

The person applying for F-3 will need:

ㅇ Passport
ㅇ Application Form
ㅇ Required Documents
- substantiating documents for the relationship of families(e.g.: marriage certificate, birth certificate, adoption record, or Korean family tree register)
- certificate of inviter's employment and tax payment
sqrlnutz123

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do your dependents need to apply in person for the F3 visa or can you send the documents in?
pjhendrick

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you have to leave the country to go from an F3 to E2 Visa?
iamtaylor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: e-2 spouse tagalong Reply with quote

so most of these are a couple of years old, but this is exactly the information i am looking for. i am currently living in seoul on a tourist visa, sharing an apartment with my fiancee who is on an e-2. when we get married next september, will i be able to return to the country as his dependent? i have been living off savings i made in the states and working as a freelance travel blogger (though it doesn't bring in that much money). i am not eligible for an e-2 as i have a criminal background from a loooong time ago.

does anyone know if i can get a visa as his dependent on an e-2? or does he need to get resident status first? we are both 29 yr old americans and have been here for about 4 months.

any help is greatly appreciated!
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: e-2 spouse tagalong Reply with quote

iamtaylor wrote:
so most of these are a couple of years old, but this is exactly the information i am looking for. i am currently living in seoul on a tourist visa, sharing an apartment with my fiancee who is on an e-2. when we get married next september, will i be able to return to the country as his dependent? i have been living off savings i made in the states and working as a freelance travel blogger (though it doesn't bring in that much money). i am not eligible for an e-2 as i have a criminal background from a loooong time ago.

does anyone know if i can get a visa as his dependent on an e-2? or does he need to get resident status first? we are both 29 yr old americans and have been here for about 4 months.

any help is greatly appreciated!

AFTER you are married (proof of marriage required) then he (on an E2) can sponsor his dependent family (you) on an F3.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: