Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

narita?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: narita? Reply with quote

What can I do at narita international for my lay over as I wait for my connecting flight. have about 3 1/2 hours? Killer duty free?

Last edited by weatherman on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
jinglejangle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lose your wallet and passport. Then go look for it.

At least, that's how my dumb a$$ spent my time there.

Can't offer much constructive though.

Once I found my passport I just sat in the smokers lounge and talked to people about the countries they were coming from.

Lots of fun that.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get to Narita City.. its 2 subway stations from the airport.. there are restaurants (mostly Japanese though - but a good turkish one as well open after 6pm).. there is also a kinda cool temple.. with a road of tourist-stuff leading up to it.
peppermint

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're staying in the airport, make sure to get some Japanese funds- they don't accept other currencies at the shops there.
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peppermint wrote:
If you're staying in the airport, make sure to get some Japanese funds- they don't accept other currencies at the shops there.

US cash is fine.
little mixed girl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can sit there and watch tv.

i had a 5hr layover last year and that's what i did...
i also looked out the window, went potty, bought some candy, ATE that candy...went potty...turned on my cell phone...turned OFF my cell phone, got hungry, looked out the window....you get the point.
tardisrider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pour yourself all the drinks you want for free in the United Airlines business class lounge.
just because

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an awesome yahoo cafe in the departure area of the airport that is free, you can sit there all day if you want....
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because wrote:
There is an awesome yahoo cafe in the departure area of the airport that is free, you can sit there all day if you want....

The trick to this is that Narita has two terminals, and the free Yahoo cafe is in Terminal Two. Officially the airport doesn't let you transfer to Terminal Two if you don't have a flight leaving from there, or at least STRONGLY give that impression.

The answer: lie.

Get on the shuttle bus (follow the signs), and when the lady with the clipboard asks the name of your airline, avoid the question and reply, "I need to get to Terminal Two, please", or give the name of a Terminal Two airline if you're feeling brave. I've done this several times and never been challenged.

There's no logical reason for them to be restricting people to one terminal beyond the Japanese need to be control freaks. Maybe they're on the take from the Terminal One internet guys who charge 300 yen for 15 minutes.

Getting back, of course, is much easier. Just show your boarding pass and everyone will be directing you back to T1.

Give yourself lots of time to make the return trip though - sometimes the security lines are HUGE that they make you go through again on return to T1.
teachingld2004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 1/2 hrs really is not a long time to wait.

I dont think you can go out of the airport. But, if you could, you would have to go out thru security, and then come back in thru security and then you would proberly have less then 2 hrs to come and go.

Read a book, get something to eat, buy some Saki to bring home, go to the bathroom, and before u know it, y9ou will be back on the plane.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make it to Narita City and back.

Takes about 10 minutes to get out of immigration.. then get on the subway (its in the airport).. and 10 minutes later you are in NARITA CITY.

You could hang around for an hour.. and still get back two hours before your next flight. Its worth it.
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem isn't getting out but getting in through security. I almost missed a connecting flight at narita (They were looking for my luggage when I came to baord) trying to get through security and catch a bus from terminal 1 to 2 and I had a 90 minute breather between flights. ISO you may find yourself pressed for time if you have to transfer between the two terminals depending on when your flight gets in

Narita is a hard airport to get through and for anything less than 6 hours not really worth missing your flight over to go for a tiki tour.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are on the subway lines.. and Narita City is 1 subway stop from Terminal 2 (two stops from Terminal 1).

NARITA CITY is SO close to the airport.. really, its 10 minutes by subway.. personally I think it would be a shame to spend that entire 3 1/2 hours in an airport sitting right next to the city itself.
Swiss James

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I arrived at Narita airport 1 hour before my flight and still missed it because I couldn't find my checkin desk.

Sorry, I mean 'a friend' arrived at Narita..
just because

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As everyone has said above 3.5 hours isn't long enogh really to leave the airport...

Give yourself 30 minutes at best to get out the front door...

1 hour to be there before departure...

That leaves 2 hours with good luck...it takes 30 minutes there and back on the subway to narita City......

That leaves you 90 minutes to have a look.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: