Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nunchi and Kibum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lala

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Nunchi and Kibum Reply with quote

I was reading through some of the experience journals and I read one that said that it would help to be familiar with the concepts of nunchi and kibum...so, can someone tell me what these concepts mean, and why they are important in Korean society?
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kibum (���) means "happiness". This is important because Koreans like to be happy.

Sorry, I can't help you on "nunchi".
kricket

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Nunchi and Kibum Reply with quote

lala wrote:
I was reading through some of the experience journals and I read one that said that it would help to be familiar with the concepts of nunchi and kibum...so, can someone tell me what these concepts mean, and why they are important in Korean society?

Don't you mean "kibuN" and not "KibuM"?

Kibun is mood.
waterbaby

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at this thread - it's got a wide range of things that are a part of the Korean culture.

What's your favorite Korean "concept"http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/viewtopic.php?t=4732
TheMrCul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:27 am    Post subject: Kibun and Nunchi Reply with quote

Kibun is someone's general mood and feeling about something - it also has a slight link to one's pride aswell. Nunchi is the art/ability to judge someone's Kibun and act accordingly to them, depending on the time and place.

For example, Misun just lost her job, and so her Kibun is greatly hurt. Therefore it would be using poor nunchi to be all happy-go-lucky around her, instead of being sensitive to her mood and feelings.

Within circles of friends or groups of people, someone with good nunchi is respected and generally spoken well of.

Am I confusing everyone here or does it sound right?
Butterfly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Nunchi and Kibum Reply with quote

lala wrote:

Nun - eye. Chi - chi.

It's hard to explain that one I think, you have to have been here a while. Recently a Korean colleague apologized to me for his English, as they often do, and my Korean aint all that so he said "I hope we have good nunchi." Meaning that we can communicate and understand each other through simple human contact and not necessarily through words, kind of 'understanding'. I think Confused
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Kibun and Nunchi Reply with quote

TheMrCul wrote:
Kibun is someone's general mood and feeling about something - it also has a slight link to one's pride aswell. Nunchi is the art/ability to judge someone's Kibun and act accordingly to them, depending on the time and place.

For example, Misun just lost her job, and so her Kibun is greatly hurt. Therefore it would be using poor nunchi to be all happy-go-lucky around her, instead of being sensitive to her mood and feelings.

Within circles of friends or groups of people, someone with good nunchi is respected and generally spoken well of.

Am I confusing everyone here or does it sound right?

I just asked a Korean friend, showed her your explanation, and she said that she wished she could have explained it as well as you did.

Sensitivity towards the mood/feelings of others, neat concept. Wish I saw more of it in practice around me. Confused
TheMrCul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: kibun Reply with quote

Wow - thanks! I've never been to Korea before, but am learning the language, and I meet with Korean University students every Sunday, (at a Korean church) and have read several books on Korea's culture. Plus, my wise Minister has lived in Korea for 30 years, and Australia for 30. I frequently have conversations with him, and have learnt a lot from him.
So I guess I have a little insight into Korea, without having been there yet.
chigtiymerdekh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA ..you are in for a shock anthropologist. get your Himalayan learning curve here ..going cheap ...just today ..yours for Man won.

Kibun isn't a 'personal' mood which is nonsense to Koreans. It 's a socially constructed mood / fabric/ harmony / lack of harmony relating to groups.
makushi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nunchi - an acute perceptiveness

If you say that a person has/is "nunchi ballayo" it means that are very quick and perceptive.

I have this one friend who always is able to finish my sentences after I just say one or two words of Korean. She has good or quick nunchi.

Some of our salespeople are able to feel/sense our customer's decision within a minute of starting the meeting. They have good nunchi.

Koreans that have good nunchi are by far the easiest ones to communicate with regardless of the language being used.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: