Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alternatives to Kaylee at Xanadu travel?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Alternatives to Kaylee at Xanadu travel? Reply with quote

I emailed Kaylee about fares to either Budapest or Austin, Texas and she wrote

"The possible air fare would be 1,350,000 + tax for Austin."
I asked about Budapest, (her site is advertising 850,000 rt for major euro cities) and she replies: "The price I gave you (1.3) is for Budapest."

I had my fill with what passes for business ethics around here. Can someone recommend an honest travel agent? And no, paying 1.3 mil is not reasonable. Sorry for the tone- I'm venting.
gypsyfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, it's always better to go in person and check out the prices.

I always use Xanadu and Kaytee and she's always gotten me good and honest deals. She's also very flexible about making changes.

Sorry you had problems.
casey's moon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use her too, but whenever I make travel reservations in Korea, I make darn sure that I check all the details carefully. She almost booked me for a one-way trip when I clearly was asking for a round trip this year. Another travel agent got the dates on a ticket to China wrong -- although I didn't check that one in advance and was on the way to the airport when I realized that according to the ticket I should have left the day before. Fortunately, the ticket was just misprinted!!!

In short, it doesn't matter so much who you use as how careful you yourself are that everything is correct. Personally, I just e-mail a bunch of the contacts listed in the Korea Herald and go with the one who gives me a good price and doesn't call me "Sir" or "Mr. Casey's Moon."

Fares are very very expensive during the summer rush, and this year seems to be the worst I've seen. But you might as well check around for something better.
soviet_man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanadu is on level 5 of that building (in Itaewon).

Go one floor down (level 4) where you will find Marco Polo Travel (directly below Xanadu).

They are usually better and you can compare quotes.
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top pulled me up a great flight today at a good price on short notice. I've got a Korean friend who likes chatting up the agents there on my behalf, but I think they have english-speakers too. Maybe worth a shot.
guangho

Location: a spot full of deception, stupidity, and public micturation and thus unfit for longterm residency

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Top pulled me up a great flight today at a good price on short notice. I've got a Korean friend who likes chatting up the agents there on my behalf, but I think they have english-speakers too. Maybe worth a shot.

Top?
PolyChronic Time Girl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are flying between July and August, you're screwed price-wise. I have been checking everywhere and i got quoted the same (1.3 million won for a ONE-WAY ticket to L.A). I've got no choice....I have to be home by August for school. I'm really p*ssed off about the price. But figures with L.A. Every Korean and their grandmother goes to L.A.
HapKi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always check Freedom Travel, down the street from Lotte Hotel, in downtown Seoul. They are very large, and many package tours go through them / start with them. Leaving for London next week, round trip 830,000 won including all taxes. Xanadu had quoted me over a million.
guangho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I just thought 1.3 was insane...and Budapest is not exactly the top Korean destination. For those that replied, can you give subway directions? I'll be coming from Ansan on line 4. Thanks bunches.
kari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

Would it be poss to give directions on how to get to xanadu and freedom travel agents. Preferably from the subway stations. Much appreciated!
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanadu's directions are on their website.

http://www.xanadu.co.kr/
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke to freedom travel.. yeah man they are real hard to beat..
eruope is pretty much 830.000 including tax.. if anyone hears better than this.. let me know.. but I doubt it..
also not to mention its thail AIRWAYS.. so stop over for a couple days free before returning back the seoul.. how can you beat that??

830 including TAX!!!
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
I just spoke to freedom travel.. yeah man they are real hard to beat..
eruope is pretty much 830.000 including tax.. if anyone hears better than this.. let me know.. but I doubt it..
also not to mention its thail AIRWAYS.. so stop over for a couple days free before returning back the seoul.. how can you beat that??

830 including TAX!!!

man I paid more than 900k just to go to Siem Reap and return from Saigon from Unique travel in Itaewon.

should of looked at that one before I paid them. Crying or Very sad
kari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then

Can you give me the number for Freedom travel. Need to get to Europe, and I think 830 is pretty reasonable!!! Cheers
HapKi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom Travel
3455-9999
Ask for Sunny
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: