Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apartments!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CdnTeacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Apartments! Reply with quote

There's a school advertising on the boards for a position in Kangnam. They pay quite well, but you work for it. I'm a certified teacher from Canada, and I interviewed with them by phone, they then gave me the name of an American teacher who is there to contact. So all goes well, we have the interview, I get offered the job etc.. etc.. So my last question is, "where is the apartment? how far away from the school, and in what area? Silence.... no one responds.... not the director or the American teacher. I think asking where the apartment is and for a picture if one is available is a pretty legit question.

Last edited by CdnTeacher on Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you've said here doesn't really warrant any sort of blacklisting in my books. It is common for things to be done at the last minute here. THey probably don't have one rented yet. Was there anything else that set alarm bells off or was this it? Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.
Gord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylehawkins2000 wrote:
THey probably don't have one rented yet.

The short version.
CdnTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord wrote:
kylehawkins2000 wrote:
THey probably don't have one rented yet.

The short version.

I agree, I edited my first post, it came off sort of harsh. But I've been in a few interviews already and one school I would have gone to for sure except for the time period they needed me. That school told me they would wait till I got there and then go apartment shopping. Which is fine with me. But not being told anything, makes me think either the apartment is really far from the school, or 2. A homestay Shocked

Hopefull I hear from them in a few days Smile
Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Have you been here before? Reply with quote

Do you have any clue what you are doing? Kangam is easily the best place to work in Korea. Lots of yogwans there for relocating. I would
push for the no housing option, then find something that suits you. Most
ELS vets in Kangnam wouldn't consider provided housing.
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ask for some sort of guarantee about the location and quality of the apartment. Having you arrive first then go looking for a place is ideal if you're worried about having a crappy place far from the school. Most schools are pretty good with finding something within a reasonable distance. I find that our western ideas of a long commute are a little different than the Korean's. Most places will find you an apartment within two or three subway stops.
The Cube

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by The Cube on Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the cube. If the only reason they haven't said anything about housing is because they haven't found a place for you yet, I think they would say so. Being direct is not the Korean way, so they would probably give you some type of answer like, "uh well, its very expensive to live in Gangnam and blah blah blah blah," with the gist of it being: we're looking for a place or something like that. The fact that they haven't said a word is a bit strange if you ask me.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you been here before? Reply with quote

Lawrence wrote:
Do you have any clue what you are doing? Kangam is easily the best place to work in Korea. Lots of yogwans there for relocating. I would
push for the no housing option, then find something that suits you. Most
ELS vets in Kangnam wouldn't consider provided housing.

I lived in Kangnam for 4 years and the above sounds great except for the fact that housing is incredibly expensive and the yogwans aren't exactly the cheapest either. I personally wouldn't consider working in Kangnam without provided housing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: