Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please suggest a good place for a short getaway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qinella

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Please suggest a good place for a short getaway. Reply with quote

I've got a little 4-day vacation coming up at the beginning of August and was wondering if anyone could suggest a nice place to go. I've thought about Jeju-do, but I'm trying to keep it relatively cheap (meaning no plane tickets). While I'm on the topic, though, how much does a ticket to Jeju-do cost?

I'm guessing/hoping the rain season will be over by then and would like to head to a mountainous area, or perhaps visit a famous temple area. Also, I'll most likely be traveling alone.

Thanks in advance,
Qinella
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

��ɵ�, island right next to N. Korea that's as big as �︪��. I think it's around 15000 one way if I remember correctly, and about 25000 a night to sleep there.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm guessing you live in the general Seoul area.

Head to Incheon and hop on a ferry. There are literally hundreds of cool islands out off of Incheon to explore.
mithridates

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

��� on the west side:

That beach with the perfectly round stones that are good for your feet:

The second oldest church in Korea:

And being able to see N. Korea, of course.
Qinella

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mith, that place looks incredible. I asked my co-workers and they don't know about the ��ɵ�, so can you tell me how to get there?

Also, Jack, I live in Sintanjin (near Daejeon), but the Incheon island-hopping thing sounds cool, too. Can you give me some more information about that? Like how big the islands are, how to locate a ferry, etc.

Thanks guys~~ Cool
Free World

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mithridates wrote:
��� on the west side:

That beach with the perfectly round stones that are good for your feet:

The second oldest church in Korea:

And being able to see N. Korea, of course.
How do you get there? Ferry from Incheon?
peppermint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gyeong ju would be the obvious spot for temples and such, and well worth a visit. You're fairly near one of my favorite spots in Korea though its not worth an overnight trip. There's a tiny little folk village at a town called Munei- between Cheong ju and Daejeon. The folk village overlooks a really peaceful lake, and oddly enough, there's a drive in movie theatre next to it.

Not a great photo, but :
mithridates

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the map of the place:

����� on the right is where the boat lands and you can stay at a place right there if you want. You can also walk for 30 minutes to get to the biggest village, ���̸�. It's more than likely that somebody will pick you up on the way though, if you want. I love the walk there. Three PC bangs and a library in the town.

To get there you have to take the boat called ����ũ���ȣ (I think) that takes off from ���Ⱥε� in Incheon. It leaves at 8am, three times a week. Mon, Wed, Fri.

Weird, maybe the price has gone up. I just checked the site and it's a bit over 40,000 one way.

http://www.brtour.co.kr/sub_02/sub_02_01_03.php
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geomundo........................�Ź���...........................urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr braaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnns.

Great resort there:
http://www.geomundoresort.co.kr/

Same basic stuff as on other islands, plus that resort does scuba diving, cheap, lots and lots of seafood, hell, I'm going again in August, hopefully.

It's located about an hour by ferry off of Yeosu. All the great Jejudo views without all the airplane fuss.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qinella wrote:

Also, Jack, I live in Sintanjin (near Daejeon), but the Incheon island-hopping thing sounds cool, too. Can you give me some more information about that? Like how big the islands are, how to locate a ferry, etc.

If you can get your hands on the Lonely Planet Korea guide, they've got a great little section in there about Incheon island hopping complete with island run downs, and contact numbers.

Plus the ferry service puts out a news pamphlet (in Korean only of course) with ferry times, costs, island run downs, and min bak info. You can pick up a copy at the ferry terminal, tourist info booths, or call them up and have them send you one.
blunder1983

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Geomundo looks spiffy. How long would it take me to get to Yeosu from Incheon? I'm VERY tempted. (and I just got 700k back from my flight Twisted Evil )

If thats too hard to get to, then I'm gonna settle for Incheon island hopping. If anyone fancies joining me drop me a pm. I'd be well up for a travel buddy. I'm on holiday from the 30th of July to the 9th of August.
Demonicat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any way to see geomundo in English? If not, how much is it?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demonicat wrote:
any way to see geomundo in English? If not, how much is it?

There's not much English information on Geomundo, except maybe some unrelated historical stuff.

Do you mean the price of staying at the minbak? I know that they charged 5,000 won per meal, which sounds bloated until you realize just how much food you're getting. I don't like seafood, but was still chowing down on some of the stuff they have to offer. They were throwing fruit, meat, sushi, and oysters at us.

The minbak might be around 30,000 a night, but it's miles above what other places had to offer overall. Nice view when you wake up, lunch patio, great minbak owners who, to my knowledge, never had a foreign guest before myself. I also see that they've renovated the place since I was there last summer.

Staying on the island depends on what you want to do while you're there. There's lots of free stuff to do hiking and sight-seeing wise, and if that minbak's owners like you, they'll let you cruise around on the scooter and see stuff. You can also go out to Bekdo or one of the adjacent islands, which might cost more. I don't remember the exact price for the package, but we went diving and it wasn't too bad regardless.

Just beware if you're looking for Western food; there's nothing other than bags of chips. Twisted Evil There's nothing quite like eating �Ʊ��� in the morning.

blunder1983 wrote:
Wow Geomundo looks spiffy. How long would it take me to get to Yeosu from Incheon?

It's a long haul, probably a good 5 or 6 hours on the train from Seoul Station to Yeosu. They've got sleeper car trains that run down there which are surprisingly comfortable.
jlb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Jeju Reply with quote

You only live once...splurge and go to Jeju! You wont regret it. I thought it was beautiful and plenty of stuff to do there for a 4 day vacation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: