Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I GOT NO GAME!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: I GOT NO GAME! Reply with quote

Ok guys, Auntie Wombat needs your help. I'm about to start teaching again, but have completely lost my nerve! The last time I was here, I had my share of bad hagwon experiences, but have tried to be philosophical about them. In fact, I don't really care much about them anymore - the way I figure, as long as they pay me on time and in full, I can deal with everything else as it comes along.

But here's the deal - an utter lack of confidence, all of a sudden, and for no apparent reason! The thought of all those beady eyes staring at me, the hagwon owners milling around the doorway - I know I can be a decent teacher...it's just that I haven't done it for awhile and have this massive attack of nerves!

So - maybe we could develop this thread into teacher's tips and tricks. Ease my shaky nerves guys!

Shocked
Wombat
Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw..c'mon. Smile

Wombat
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember how little English your kids know. You can completly mess up your first few days, pull the 'okay, lets play bingo!' trick, and still show your face the next day without your kids knowing at all.
Mody Ba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Wombie,Baffle Them with BS,and Play Games with Them Reply with quote

You do not have to be a decent teacher at most hakwons.You do not have to be a teacher of any caliber.Let's not confuse them.Most of them would not know a decent teacher,anyway.TEACHER,PLAY GAMES! If you can dance or play a musical instrument(even air guitar) you got it made in the shade.Whatthe funk is right.Hakwon teaching is not really teaching anyway...it is babysitting.
By the way "funK...nice avatar...Fonda and Hopper on that long trip... Mody
mokpochica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. Starting to teach at a new place can be nerve-wracking--especially when you're teaching kids a foreign language entirely in that language.

Here are some tips that I've thought up off the top of my head:

1. Be prepared with a lesson and materials before you go to class the first day. An introductory lesson about you (complete with pictures, postcards, etc.) will almost always go over well.

2. Also be prepared with a simple list of rules for the students and with ideas for positive reinforcement/rewards and, for the more difficult days, punishments.

3. Get to know the students' names (English or Korean names--it doesn't really matter) as soon as possible and early on ask them what kinds of things they like and what they would like to learn in English class. Music in English and Comic books in English can be great motivators for some kids.

4. Have some ESL books (both teaching ideas, i.e. Penny Ur and of handouts to copy, i.e. McGraw Hill/Scholastic) on hand so you can quickly find resources in a fix. Board games are an equally good resource. Flashcards are great too (fortunately there's tons of great flashcard sites on the web: try www.bogglesworld.com for one). Any games or educational materials you can bring from home to help you in the first few weeks will likely both be a time saver and stress saver.

5. Make a list of lessons/topics you'd like to teach (perhaps in addition to the textbook you will be teaching from). Think about how you would like to teach them and when.

6. Remember that Korean kids can be a handful, but the vast majority are usually really excited to see you and will be enthusiastic about your class. Most are very eager to please as well and will work to get your attention. Use the enthusiasm to your advantage, but be strict with your expectations to keep the kids on task.

7. Try to guage kids' strengths and weaknesses early on, and at first play to their strengths to build confidence. Later, work on their weaknesses.

You've taught here before, so I imagine you know many of these things already and have more ideas of your own. In any case, hope it helps some.
humanuspneumos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Staring at the wall and thinking about it is Reply with quote

quite different than staring at the book you're going to use. Trust me- when you look at the pictures, text, and whatever all of your instinct will snap back. People who get all worked up usually end up saying, "Hey, that was fun!" You'll do just fine when you sit at your teacher's desk and get your hands on the books. I'm assuming you're not at the desk yet.
Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys - this is fantastic! You've all given excellent advice! Mokpochica, I especially like your ideas.

To be honest, I feel like a bit of a wimp! I don't know what's wrong with me. I think it was that the other times, we used technical, boring books (the Up & Away series comes to mind), and more often than not, my students were bored with the cirriculum, and were restless, so teaching them was difficult. (For me too - boring texts don't just bother the students!)

This time, I think things'll go more smoothly.

Thanks heaps ~
Wombat

PS - ..but if there are any more ideas out there, keep em coming!
waterbaby

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aunty Wombat - the Ideas Cookbook on Dave's ESL Cafe is a great resource. There's even an Ideas for the First Day section. It must have over 50 ideas there.

There is a "sticky" at the top of this Job Discussion Forum (started by Mokpochica!) that contains a list of Useful Teaching Web Sites. You could probably find a whole lot more.

Here's another site I just found... First Day of School

It's like riding a bicycle... once you're there... schweeet as!!! (But it doesn't hinder to be prepared)
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember kids are like dogs the can smell fear Laughing

Seriously though. Try and give off the confidence vibe (just remember apperances can be decieving) if you can because they'll eat you up if you don't. Let them know who's boss. Have a well planned lesson which includes a few minutes getting to know the kids. Look for some sort of icebreaker.

If your teaching kindergarten these rules don't apply as you may make them cry. If I get a new kindy class I get each of them to come up the front find out their name (even if it's just by the dog tag) and sing that stupid name song from the 70s if they have english names and the kids seem to love it. Then do something fun for the rest of the lesson as these kids seem to get exited if I don't wear my glasses so a new person just seems to flip them out.

CLG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: