Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not drinking alcoholic beverages in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pyongshin Sangja

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you gotta get a new hat too man.
TJ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: NOT DRINKING ALCHOLIC BEVERAGES IN KOREA Reply with quote

I have been here for 3 years and found that the best way to avoid drinking is to have a medical reason. I say that alcohol is bad for my stomach. Koreans seem to understand and accept that much better than if you say "I don't drink".

Only once have I had any problems with my alcohol free life. A Korean 'friend' tried to spike my drink (orange juice) with soju. Fortunately my wife saw him do it and warned me.
Teebird

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Not Drink so-ju Reply with quote

I am not into drinking, and like I've read most others are pretty cool if you don't want to drink. But for some strange reason my director and manager feel it is rude to decline so-ju. So basically they make me feel bad for not drinking....My solution, no more dinners with the boss.
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy drinking in moderation. If I'm out with friends and some of them don't drink- that's cool. Some Koreans tend to react a bit strange. I, myself will always defend the person that wants to remain totally sober.

My wife and I have parties at our place about once per month (live folk-music/BBQ) and about 1/4 of the people don't drink and that's awesome! (The last one, I had one glass of wine and one red needle- otherwise, I only had cranberry juice.)

I have a couple friends who don't drink and they really can't stand being around those who do. They get together with their AA friends and they're a wonderful community.

One place to meet some awesome sober people is Macondo's Latin bar. Many of these dancers drink water because they're dancing and sweating up a storm. Many of them take their dancing very seriously and need to be sober in order to do their salsa turns, etc.

A few ideas. Their is life outside drinking in Korea. I just need to stay away from Jameson's for a little while. Embarassed

Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Bobster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meet a lot of Koreans who don't drink and they have it worse than any of us might as far as losing a social life. Find these people and hang out with them. End of problem.

Cool
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a major problem with booze and gave it a few years back. I find being here my alcohol intake has gone up, from only when on holiday (which was once every 6 months) to once every few days. But it's not to the point where I need a drink to get going in the morning (although I'm drinking more at night if I've had a bad day/week).

I think that you have to make sure that your social scene doesn't only revolve around bars. There are other things to do here. Seeing the sights, reading, watching tv etc.

CLG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: