Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving a school--not your typical midnight run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Leaving a school--not your typical midnight run Reply with quote

A week ago my boss asked me to stay an extra three months and extend my contract. I agreed and handed over my alien card and passport. I got them back today, but the extension on the card was for one whole year. I spoke to the boss about it and he said that Immigration would only stamp it for a year, not three months, but that he would let me go after three months regardless.

So my questions are : If I leave do I need a letter of release to show Immigration? And do I have to wait until this current visa expires to come back to Korea? I shouldn't have to, as I am leaving with the boss' permission. So does anybody know the process for this? Thanks in advance. Please only answers from people who know.
panthermodern

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, your boss may not be "screwing you".

The Korean Gov't., generally does not issue visas with variable lenghts:
An E-2 is for a year, period.

Think of it this way, if you came to Korea as an American tourist, your stamp reads 3 months, period, even if your only staying a week.

What you may ask your boss for is a post dated letter of release, now.

A release letter can be post dated.

This covers both of you: You because you know you can go and them because if you leave "earlier" they can can immigration and burn you before you can "use" your letter.

Actually, my current contract has a "release letter" built in, and I have a 6 month re-negociation clause as well.

The meaning is two fold: If after 6 months the company is unhappy with my preformance, the release kicks in, but, If they want me to stay but do not improve the offer I can refuse to continue the contract.

The problem is that most contracts are so ambigious that there is no tangable way to prove a breach with regards to anything opionion based, such as job preformance. So, I give them a blank check and they give me a blank check, so to speak. We both have a no questions asked release policy.

Basically, give your boss a letter of resignation for a letter of release, and you are both covered.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mishlert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To truly cover your "assests" you should have your boss write you a contract for the three month period, alomg with the letter of release.
Be careful though, because the immigration office in Mok-dong has a new policy of letters not being valid unless the teacher has been at the school 9 months; I got this on Daves', so you should double check with that immigration office.
Good luck.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You my friend just turned around and got rump roasted.

You cannot re-new your contract with your school until after 6 months (in some cases 9 months) into your contract.

He basically is saving tons of cash: No new teacher, no new recruiter fee, no raise for old teacher, no airfare for old teacher, etc. etc.

He will try to get you to stay on longer, and longer...and longer...
rapier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left korea 2 months before the end of my contract without a letter of release in hand. (My school closed and yes I got my bonus). At Immigration the officer wanted to know why I was going before my contract was up. He thought I was doing a runner,but could'nt stop me anyway.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Wall of Whiner wrote:
You my friend just turned around and got rump roasted.

You cannot re-new your contract with your school until after 6 months (in some cases 9 months) into your contract.

He basically is saving tons of cash: No new teacher, no new recruiter fee, no raise for old teacher, no airfare for old teacher, etc. etc.

He will try to get you to stay on longer, and longer...and longer...

How do you figure? I have been at this school for 2 years. My contract was to end in this June. So I was 11 months into this contract, which means I CAN renew it. Furthermore how exactly is he saving tons of cash? He will have to find a new teacher at some point. He will have to use a recruiter at some point too. He will also have to pay the airfare when I eventually leave. About the only thing is the raise..but I am only working there for the next three months. Hardly seems fair to ask for one when I am leaving soon. At 3 M/ month I am hardly suffering.
As for staying longer maybe, but then I WILL ask for a raise. I think he will then find it cheaper to pay for a new teacher. Very Happy
Skippy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off talk to your boss. Do check your contact. And how long have you been with the school? I mean if you are on month 13 I think you will have little prob getting a release letter. (I think - I do not 100 percent know.)

Also I extended with my school for 6 months afer serving 1 year contract and the immigration office just wrote on the back of my alien card with a special pen and extended it 6 months not 1 year. Maybe your immigration office did not use the pen and want to make it more official and used the stamp.

I would also recommend going to immigration and talking to them also.

Also some other info make sure you get your severence for those 3 months you work - you are entitled.
SKippy the Evil Twin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: