Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KTX
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Free World

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: KTX Reply with quote

I want to reserve a ticket from Seoul to Busan and one from Busan to Seoul. On the website it says you have to be a member but there is no place to sign up that I can see on the English website.
To everyone that has taken KTX, where/how did you buy your ticket?
Rookie77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a korean teacher to reserve tickets for me...no hassle.
Rookie77

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and on a couple other occasions, I had little difficulty buying them myself.
brento1138

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: KTX Reply with quote

Free World wrote:
I want to reserve a ticket from Seoul to Busan and one from Busan to Seoul. On the website it says you have to be a member but there is no place to sign up that I can see on the English website.
To everyone that has taken KTX, where/how did you buy your ticket?

I just go to the train station... you can reserve in advance no problem yo.. dunno how the internet works though, might have to ask a korean for assistance there.
Grotto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are traveling on a holiday you should have no trouble finding a seat. If you need someone to help you reserve tickets just ask a Korean you work with and they will almost always help you out no problem.
FUBAR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grotto wrote:
Unless you are traveling on a holiday you should have no trouble finding a seat. If you need someone to help you reserve tickets just ask a Korean you work with and they will almost always help you out no problem.

I wouldn't say that is neccessarily true. I got burnt that way yesterday. Check on their website for the date and time that you wish to depart. If there are less than 50 seats remaining for the train make a reservation. Otherwise you should be ok.
krats1976

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FUBAR wrote:
Grotto wrote:

I wouldn't say that is neccessarily true. I got burnt that way yesterday. Check on their website for the date and time that you wish to depart. If there are less than 50 seats remaining for the train make a reservation. Otherwise you should be ok.

Yeah, add Sunday evening to that list... a lot of people travel to Seoul for the weekend.

I use KTX from Seoul to Gwangju about every other month and I've never made a reservation, though I always check the website before I go.
Free World

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks. Where is the KTX station in Seoul? Seoul Station?
sadsac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had any problems just getting it on the day. Most travel agents will book a seat for you or just go to the nearest station. Smile
krats1976

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free World wrote:
Okay, thanks. Where is the KTX station in Seoul? Seoul Station?

Seoul Station and Yongsan. Check both online. Some trains stop at both and others just leave from Yongsan.
stvwrd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on going from Seoul to Pusan via KTX this Wednesday morning. Not planning on reserving in advance, however, I can't figure out which station I should go to. Anybody know? My best guess is Seoul Station by looking at the map at http://www.korail.go.kr/2003/eng/html/info/f_info_001.html but I can't find confirmation.

Think I'm okay not reserving a ticket? It is vacation season, but it's also a wednesday morning.... I was thinking of spending the extra cash and going first class too.
krats1976

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stvwrd wrote:
I plan on going from Seoul to Pusan via KTX this Wednesday morning. Not planning on reserving in advance, however, I can't figure out which station I should go to. Anybody know? My best guess is Seoul Station by looking at the map at http://www.korail.go.kr/2003/eng/html/info/f_info_001.html but I can't find confirmation.

Think I'm okay not reserving a ticket? It is vacation season, but it's also a wednesday morning.... I was thinking of spending the extra cash and going first class too.

First off, for schedules and stations and such, use this website: http://english.barota.com/, and click on "Inquiry/Reservation."

Second, to go to Busan, you need to go to Seoul Station.

Third, dunno about reservations since it is vacation time and Busan is a popular destination. Check the above-mentioned website the day before and if it looks like seats are filling up (look in the "Standard Class" or "First Class" columns), you might want to make a reservation.

Good luck and have a great trip.

~krats
Industrial Strength

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's super easy to sign up for the korail membership card. then you can make and pay for reservations online at their english website linked to above.

all i did was go to the info desk at the local train station and told them i wanted to get the card. i had to put down a 20,000 won deposit in case i didn't buy the tickets before the train left the station. they also wanted a copy of my passport (didn't have an ARC as i had just arrived in the country), and an local address and telephone number. you get your card on the spot and choose your own 4 digit pin.

i didn't/don't speak any korean and the agent didn't speak english, but it was no big deal. a few key words and sign language works wonders.
is

ps. recently the reservation system has changed. before you didn't have to buy the tickets until 5 minutes before departure. now you have to buy them at least one day in advance. the only way you can do that is to pay for them online (samsung card or any other visa/mastercard) or go to any train station the day before and buy them. you just show your card either way when you want to get the tickets.
stvwrd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to go to the station tomorrow to try and buy my ticket. Do I have to go all the way to Seoul Station, or can I just go to my local Subway station and do it?

Edit: Do you have to have a Korean credit card to buy the tickets online or will a US card work? Alternatively, can I go to the local subway station to buy the KTX ticket, not just the membership card?

Last edited by stvwrd on Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:58 am; edited 2 times in total
ajuma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, getting a Barota/Korail card is the way to go. You can reserve on-line and with enough milage you can pay for your tickets with your points. I've noticed that when when buy tickets in advance, you have to pick them up sooner, but if you need a ticket for that day, you can still do that! Several of my friends use me as their "travel agent". When you get to the desk, all you need is the number, not the card....so I get the points...they get the cheaper tickets! Works for me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: